HP forum

Question

Pavallion G6 - Motherboard issue?

by murrayfmly / September 2, 2012 2:26 AM PDT

Computer: HP Pavillion G6 - Windows7 Home Premium - Core I5 with 8mbs Ram. This thing should rock right? Ever since I got this computer it has been slow and can barely play video of any type. At first I thought it was settings so I tried to optimize but it improved little. I went back to IE 8 and video got a bit better but is still jagged if it plays at all. After the second or third flash video, explorer will freeze and I'l have to close it out (if I even can) and restart explorer. The problem is abosolutely not just video - everything is slow.

So a few weeks ago the computer crashes and won't start windows so I bring it to a local computer guy and he says the motherboard is fried and will be $300+ to fix. Ugh. What I realized afterwards was that the HP warranty was still in effect so I don't replace the motherboard and call HP support hoping they had a solution. HP support runs some tests and says it is not the motherboard. They tell me to re-install windows so I do thinking this issue was a bad windows install and not the motherboard. Well after the windows install nothing has changed. In fact I think it is worse as the computer is slower and I don't even try to run flash video.

Before I call HP back (because you know they will fight me on this) I wanted to know if there was something I could do to test whether it is the motherboard. Perhaps some symptoms that I haven't necessarlily recognized? Or if others have had this problem if it may be another issue?

Thanks all in advance - sorry for the long post.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pavallion G6 - Motherboard issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pavallion G6 - Motherboard issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have to go with no, it should not rock.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 2:33 AM PDT

Many of those use onboard video and the game performance is lackluster.

But there is news about the FLASH issue. Try this on google and change it.

-> DISABLE FLASH HARDWARE ACCELERATION.

That usually helps on Flash Crash issues. The other stuff could be the owner that installed a toxic combination. I can't guess if you installed Spybot, Torrent software or other. The software angle is not something HP will fix. That is, they often reload the OS to cure it.

Bob

Collapse -
Motherboard Issue
by murrayfmly / September 2, 2012 6:35 AM PDT

Thanks for suggestion. Did not help. I don't think I emphasized enought how the overall performace of the comuter is so slow its painful (flash is just one piece of it) to be on and this is after the full window re-install. This makes me think its not software and must be hardware like the guy at the local computer shop said it was.

And yes - if you want to game then there are far better computers but I don't game at all. Just need internet, music, pictures, some light word occassionally.

Any help on testing whether it is motherboard or other with similar G6 issues?

Collapse -
Yes. The acid test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard Issue

Just like HP I have to restore the machine to its factory OS load to see if it's the usual other issues.

We can't discuss your current selection of installed items for a simple reason. If you want, post a HIJACKTHIS log and I'll comment if I see something I know about.

The FLASH CRASH issue is very widespread. It was NOT about curing any speed issue. It was specific to FLASH CRASHING.
Bob

Collapse -
HIJACK THIS output
by murrayfmly / September 2, 2012 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes. The acid test.

See below Hijack This output. Thanks for taking a look:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 8:25:32 AM, on 9/3/2012
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16448)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP SimplePass 2011\TouchControl.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Transfer\TiVoTransfer.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoNotify.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP SimplePass 2011\BioMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP QuickWeb\hpqwutils.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch\HPMSGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP On Screen Display\HPOSD.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\ControlCenter3\brccMCtl.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfimon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\YouCam\YCMMirage.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_11_4_402_265_ActiveX.exe
C:\Users\Murrayfmly\AppData\Roaming\Juniper Networks\Setup Client\JuniperSetupClient.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbarUser_32.exe
C:\Users\Murrayfmly\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://g.msn.com/HPNOT/1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://webmail.juno.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://g.msn.com/HPNOT/1
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://g.msn.com/HPNOT/1
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: TSBHO Class - {8590886E-EC8C-43C1-A32C-E4C2B0B6395B} - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP SimplePass 2011\IEBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPQuickWebProxy] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP QuickWeb\hpqwutils.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APSDaemon] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPort11reminder] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ScanSoft\PaperPort\Ereg\Ereg.exe" -r "C:\ProgramData\ScanSoft\PaperPort\11\Config\Ereg\Ereg.ini"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BrMfcWnd] C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter3] C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\ControlCenter3\brctrcen.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Quick Launch] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch\HPMSGSVC.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPOSD] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP On Screen Display\HPOSD.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TivoTransfer] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Transfer\TiVoTransfer.exe" /service /registry /auto:TivoTransfer
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TivoNotify] "C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoNotify.exe" /service /registry /auto:TivoNotify
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TivoServer] "C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe" /service /registry /auto:TivoServer
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Facebook Update] "C:\Users\Murrayfmly\AppData\Local\Facebook\Update\FacebookUpdate.exe" /c /nocrashserver
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O16 - DPF: {F27237D7-93C8-44C2-AC6E-D6057B9A918F} (JuniperSetupClientControl Class) - https://usextranet.aigfpc.com/dana-cached/sc/JuniperSetupClient.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: TrueSuiteService (FPLService) - HP - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP SimplePass 2011\TrueSuiteService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Support Assistant Service - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\hpsa_service.exe
O23 - Service: HP Auto (HPAuto) - Hewlett-Packard - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Auto\HPAuto.exe
O23 - Service: HP Client Services (HPClientSvc) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Client Services\HPClientServices.exe
O23 - Service: HP Quick Synchronization Service (HPDrvMntSvc.exe) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\HPDrvMntSvc.exe
O23 - Service: HP Software Framework Service (hpqwmiex) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqWmiEx.exe
O23 - Service: HPWMISVC - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch\HPWMISVC.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (IAStorDataMgrSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe
O23 - Service: IconMan_R - Realsil Microelectronics Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Realtek\Realtek PCIE Card Reader\RIconMan.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Identity Protection Technology Host Interface Service (jhi_service) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Services\IPT\jhi_service.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service (LMS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: RoxioNow Service - Roxio - C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\RoxioNow Player\RNowSvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\stlang64.dll,-10101 (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM\STacSV64.exe
O23 - Service: TiVo Beacon (TivoBeacon2) - TiVo Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Beacon\TiVoBeacon.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application User Notification Service (UNS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 11853 bytes

Collapse -
I don't see any Antivirus and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2012 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: HIJACK THIS output

I see media servers running. If you want to get most out of this PC why would you run those media sharing apps (Tivo and WMP)?

Collapse -
I use Microsofts Security Essentials and
by murrayfmly / September 4, 2012 10:59 AM PDT

I wouldn't think TIVO in the background wouldn't crush performance. Bottom line is I'm calling HP try to get them to take this POS back. There is something wrong with it and if the local computer repair guy sayd motherboard I've found no other reason taht makes sense. Thanks

NEVER BUY HP!! I won't again

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2012 11:30 AM PDT

Media servers do that all the time. I'll keep it short why but as the media server hits a file the CODEC can't digest you see this happen.

Since it appears you are not open to suggestions, I'll unsubscribe and wish you good luck.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
HP
by SoMeAmCheron / September 13, 2012 2:52 AM PDT

Hi murrayfmly,
I am sorry to hear about the experience you have had with your HP Notebook. Did you contact HP back regarding the motherboard? I work for HP and If you need further assistance regarding the motherboard please email me your product and contact information to psgsocialmedia@hp.com. Please include Attn: Veronica-Cnet in the subject line.

"The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP"

Collapse -
Answer
hp issues
by loveymiller / September 20, 2012 11:14 PM PDT

Hello
I too brought a hp pavillion g series laptop and this hp laptop make me fall in love with it. its awesome and i am playing games like bf3 on it very smoothly. you should call to the hp technical support or do a live chat with them. i am sure you will get a positive response.
have a nice time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.