Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Pathetic virus that blocks all antivirus software

by imran ahmad / March 26, 2006 2:56 PM PST

recently a 'friend' of mine brought with him a virus in a pen drive. i knew that it contained a virus so i at first checked it with my one-month old upgraded mcafee antivirus; and found lots of virus' which of course was deleted. but after sometimes when i restarted the computer the computer just hanged at the desktop. i at first thought that it could be a trojan which messed up the registry, and made a few repairs through booting from my windows xp cd.then the computer started normally but my mcafee antivirus didn't open at all. the window opened but closed automatically. so i opened my ad aware lavasoft anti spyware software and runned a check on the computer and it found two registy changes and repaired it but still the antivirus was not opening. furthermore whenever i try to open the mcafee folder the computer hangs up and then restores itself, also, after creating a new folder i renamed it mcafee and the same happened with it as the original folder.
out of frustration, i restarted the computer and shockingly i was kicked back to square one. where the computer just hangs. whats the solution to this problem, which i guess is a virus. i'm writing this mail from another computer as mine is totally inaccessable. my operating system is windows xp pro service pack 2, and its a fast computer at 1.7ghz

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pathetic virus that blocks all antivirus software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pathetic virus that blocks all antivirus software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Safe mode
by Donna Buenaventura / March 26, 2006 3:14 PM PST

Try to boot your computer to safe mode (restart the computer then press F8 key then choose "safe mode" when the startup menu appears.

Scan the system using McAfee virusscan in safe mode.

Let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
In addition
by tomron / March 26, 2006 9:53 PM PST
In reply to: Safe mode

Try installing,updating,and running EWIDO

Collapse -
dosent work , and in addition
by imran ahmad / March 27, 2006 5:55 PM PST
In reply to: Safe mode

The computer dosen't boot in safe mode, lots of files loading can be seen [all dll files] but it stops after that.
on the other hand, i got a chance to get in my computer after repairing with my windows cd. and also got into the internet[dial up]. i found that any page containing the word virus, mcafee, or any kind of anti virus,even virus names closes down immediately. even this forum dosen't open! after the page opens it closes just like the window's in my pc.
a friend of mine said that it was the win32/ brontok virus. but its a virus which was removed by my anti virus a long time ago. is it that virus? if it is how come it overrode it this time and how will i remove it without using the antivirus as it does not function

Collapse -
OK then
by tomron / March 27, 2006 9:21 PM PST

Heres a LINK that might help.Try one of these AV programs.

Collapse -
Sorry, but it still dosen't work
by imran ahmad / March 28, 2006 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: OK then

Well in reply to the moderator, the pc did restart in safe mode but the AV acted the same as before. so i guess the virus affected the core of the operatin system.

and to tomron, how is your link going to help!!

Collapse -
You said that...
by tomron / March 28, 2006 12:50 PM PST

your Av don't work.

So the link i provided mentions different AV'S.

Point being,try another AV and see what happens

Collapse -
Also look in MSCONFIG,anything out of the ordinary
by tomron / March 28, 2006 1:27 PM PST
In reply to: You said that...

If all else fails you might want to consider using HJT.

Heres a LINK

The word virus is not in HJT

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.