Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

pasting pics into Word don't always show images

by Cycleman / January 3, 2008 11:03 AM PST

I have the valid MS Office Word (2003). It is installed on my two computers (networked). Both machines are XP home, large HDs on each. Both are HPs. The older machine (pavilion 9870) has 784 RAM. The newer machine (pavilion a730n) has 1.5 Gb. No issues with either machine.

When using Word on the older machine, I can copy images (from file folders, the web, etc.) by the typical "right click to copy" then control-V to paste into the document. The images are always visible (unless the size is too large, but that's not the issue I'm going to describe).

With the newer machine, when I copy/paste in the same manner, the image is pasted, but often I don't see the image. Or, I might see part of the image (top half, or top third, or the middle).

When I "view, thumbnail" I can see the individual images, but the document still doesn't show the image at all, or only partially.

I've looked through all the "options" on both machines (inside Word) and I don't see any differences between the two.

If I resize the image, it will momentarily be viewable, but if I scroll down, the image will not be visible. What I do see, is the black outline of where the image is, with the grab handles.

If I "paste special" and insert the image as a true picture, it behaves similarly.

I'm not using any text, so it isn't a matter of hiding under text.

It's seemingly a matter of some "view." When I view documents like this, I typically use the "print layout view." I've tried all the others, to no avail.

If I place the document from the newer machine, on to the older machine, it shows up just fine.

I hope I've given sufficient information on the problem. Please let me know if I haven't.

Most of the file sizes are less than 100 Kb. But, I've been able to see larger files on the "older" machine, but they aren't visible on the newer machine.

Please let me know what I might check to correct this.

I did a search in this forum, but I didn't go real deep. I did see a thread on the use of OpenOffice, but I've not tried it yet, since I wanted to see what you might suggest for the Word application. MS help wasn't much help, either.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pasting pics into Word don't always show images
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pasting pics into Word don't always show images
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does it show up in Print Preview and on paper?
by Kees Bakker / January 3, 2008 5:31 PM PST

And what happens if you work around by saving the images in some folder in your hard disk, then use Insert>Object>use existing file to browse to it?

Collapse -
Instead of...
by Papa Echo / January 3, 2008 7:43 PM PST

...copy and paste, try Insert>Picture>From File...Before doing the above place the cursor where in the page you want it inserted.

Collapse -
Read this recent discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2008 9:11 PM PST
Collapse -
Tried these...
by Cycleman / January 4, 2008 3:29 AM PST

I saved an image (jpg) from the web. It was about 300 Kb.

First of all, the print preview is also showing blank pages. However, the document does print correctly.

Second, I did Insert>Picture>from File and the results are the same. It shows briefly, but if I move the bar to the right or other maneuvers, it will disappear (in part, or fully).

Third, when I tried the Insert>Object>Create from file, all it did was insert a small box with the file name and extension in it. No picture.

Bob, from that other link, I didn't see any "display images as a border only" when I went to Tools>Options>View.

I haven't deleted the yet, but my guess is that it also will be ineffective.

While at work, I also tried some of these things on Word, and it behaved the same as I describe here for my personal computer.

Let me know if I've missed some of the things to try. Thanks for the suggestions.

Collapse -
Are you dismissing prior answers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2008 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Tried these...

"I haven't deleted the yet, but my guess is that it also will be ineffective."

That and video drivers have fixed this for me in the past. You can save your (rename it) if you must but there's a long history on that which I decline to write about.

The video issue can be tested by reducing video acceleration to none. Some call that a fix!

Collapse - difference
by Cycleman / January 4, 2008 4:58 AM PST

Bob, I went to C:\documents and settings\user name\application data\microsoft\template.

One "Normal" template was there. I deleted it. Opened Word again.

Copy/pasted an image.

The behavior is the same as before.

Collapse -
Better to know it then to guess it, isn't it.
by Kees Bakker / January 4, 2008 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: difference

That leaves video driver and settings and default printer driver. While Word 2003 and it settings should be identical, that might be obvious differences between these 2 machines.

Collapse -
(NT) And Video Acceleration?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2008 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: difference
Collapse -
should have asked...
by Cycleman / January 4, 2008 5:00 AM PST

that I don't know how to reduce the video acceleration. I don't know what that means. If I do, how will it affect other things?

Collapse -
That's in the display properties.
by Kees Bakker / January 4, 2008 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: should have asked...

Right click on an empty part of the desktop and choose properties. It depends on the graphic card, but with me (Nvidia 6200) it's in the problem solving tab under the advanced button of the settings. And I've never see anything else as a slider.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by Cycleman / January 4, 2008 5:14 AM PST

That did the trick!

And, I learned something. Thanks to all for both the help and the training.

One more thing: the monitor (CRT) has a calibration that kicks in when I start the machine. This is for accurate color display, for photo editing. I noticed the monitor had changed in appearance when I brought the slider to zero.

If I work in Word, and close it when finished, can I go back to that acceleration slider, and restore the appearance of the monitor colors?

Or, will the machine have to be rebooted?

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Don't forget to try intermediate settings.
by Kees Bakker / January 4, 2008 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: Fixed!

There are a few between min and max. You might find one that works for all your needs.

I can't answer your question about how the resetting of the slider will affect the display colors. Easy to try for you.

And if you find all this sliding a nuisance, another videocard might be the definitive solution.

Collapse -
Once again, thanks.
by Cycleman / January 4, 2008 5:29 AM PST

Kees, I did try the intermediate settings, and found one that keeps Word working properly, and the monitor colors are close (not perfect), but the answer is clear: just adjust it back when editing photos, back off when in Word.

Collapse -
(NT) Good job. Glad we could help.
by Kees Bakker / January 4, 2008 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: Once again, thanks.
Collapse -
And ...
by Kees Bakker / January 4, 2008 5:39 AM PST

if you feel for a little experiment, you might like to make (export from regedit) 2 simple .reg files and put them (or links to them) on your desktop (or even in your quick launch area). One to set it to max and one to set it lower. Then it's just a click to change it.

You'll find some necessary info, for example, in

The second even has a link to a command line utility, that you could put in a batch file to run it. That's another one-click solution.

Collapse -
Now you know it's the old video driver bug.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2008 6:20 AM PST

I've cured this many times with a new video driver. Some will call the acceleration a fix. I don't.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.