Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

paste function doesn't work

by bobhumphrey / December 15, 2011 2:43 AM PST

I'm usuing Windows 7 with IE 9 & for the past month or so the paste function doesn't work for any applications. I've noticed that whenever I now try to copy a pic or file I'm always locked out of those pics or files 'cause they're read only. I try to allow read / write but it always defaults back to read only before I can paste. I've been trying to find a way to authorize read / write through administrator but am having no luck. I don't know if this is a problem with my HP desktop, Windows 7, IE 9 or any of the applications I have on my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated

bobhumphrey has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: paste function doesn't work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: paste function doesn't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by bobhumphrey

Collapse -
Re: copying
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 15, 2011 4:57 AM PST

- Where are those files or pics you can't paste (the source)?
- And where to you want to paste to (the target)?
- And how exactly do you do it?
- And what's the exact error message?
- It seems to me that copying a read only file to, say, your My Documents folder should work as long as you have read access to the file (can open it) and write access to My Documents (so can save a file into it from Word or Notepad). So it's a somewhat strange message.

Can you copy/paste text in a simple Notepad document? Then the paste function works, but not under some circumstances. Your post is not detailed enough to find tell.

Kees

Collapse -
hi kees_B
by bobhumphrey / December 15, 2011 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re: copying

my paste function doesn't work in any application, not even Ctrl+V. I cannot copy & paste any pic from 1 folder to another. I use officeorg for my spreadsheets & word pads & no paste function works in those either. I had no problems 'til about a month ago when it totally stopped working. I cannot think of any downloads to my computer around that time other than the 1's cnet tech tracker tells me to update. I've considered rolling my computer back to an earlier date but there's no guarantee that would work either. It seems to be that something associated with my computer or windows is the culprit. I'm able to use the copy function, or @ least it's highlighted for use, but the paste "button" isn't accessible. Needless to say, this is very frustrating & time consuming. I've even reinstalled the drivers for my mouse, printer / scanner & HP desktop. I've reinstalled officeorg too but to no success. No error message either, it's just that the paste operation isn't highlighted, accessible. Thanks for your input, bob

Collapse -
hi again
by bobhumphrey / December 15, 2011 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: hi kees_B

I went back & started deleting any programs that I had installed around the time this paste problem started happening & it now works so I guess i was a bit too hasty. Thanks so much for your help, bob

Collapse -
Paste (Cntrl+V) Totally Quit on Me
by SkeeterVT / February 8, 2012 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Re: copying

I have the same problem. I have a Dell OptiPlex GX280 computer with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. I cannot figure out for the life of me what's caused the Paste (Cntrl+V) function to be rendered inaccessible and thus useless. I'm a radio DJ and I rely on Copy and Paste to post Facebook notices promoting my radio show. It's absolutely imperative that I get Paste functioning again ASAP.

Collapse -
Did you try ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 8, 2012 7:10 PM PST

the solutions noted in the link below and (especially) the solution the OP found (uninstall a recently installed program he found running via msconfig)?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
There are dozens of causes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2011 5:12 AM PST
Collapse -
paste not working
by bobhumphrey / December 15, 2011 6:17 AM PST

I went to your answer which led me to the msconfig operation so i did a safe boot & paste worked so I began to delete programs downloaded about the time this started happening & my computer's paste function now works so thank you so much for your insight & fantastic help. Bob

Collapse -
Good hunting!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2011 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: paste not working

Sorry that I could not guess which one it was but I see you went hunting and found it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.