Phones forum

General discussion

Password Protected Excel Workbook

by WildClay / June 4, 2010 5:17 AM PDT

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I routinely move from my PDA to my PC, since whart I keep in it is fairly sensitive I keep it password protected at the workbook level (highest).

I just upgraded from an iPaq 3650 (very old) to an iPaq 111 (fairly new) with Windows Mobile Office 6 and for the life of me I can't figure out how to use a password protected speardsheet on the PDA, just gives a warning message that the file is lock so it will not open it, not even ask me for the password?

Anyone know of a way through Excel to use locked workbooks?

I have the PDA passwork protected, and if I put a SD card in I would encrypt that, but still, if that sheet got loose somehow I want it protected itself, sounds like an odd feature for MS to remove...

Last question, any know of a way to move an older version of pocket excel to the PDA while if this feature is no longer supported in the new one?

Thanks

PS -- Sorry if this has been asked and answred but I searched on several keywrod combinations and found nothing on the topic.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Password Protected Excel Workbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Password Protected Excel Workbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Whew! Found PTab
by WildClay / June 6, 2010 4:32 AM PDT

I found a few Excel like spreadsheets out there for the PDA, but only two that could handle password protected workbooks. I got the cheaper one since it did what I needed and is actually a lot better than I had expected. Can be found at http://www.z4soft.com/downloads/

For one that comes with a "Word" and "Powerpoint" part, had a better Excel, but at 3 times the price since you could not just buy one part, but if someone needed more they might look at SofMaker Office 2008 for CE. http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofpcomp_en.htm

So SPB Backup now for a true back-up and PTab to deal with Excel, I am all set.

Collapse -
The other way around this
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2010 10:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by WildClay / June 7, 2010 12:14 AM PDT

Losing or not wanting the password was not the issue, it was wanting it and Win Office 6.1 does not support workbook or sheet password protected excel files.

PTab does it just fine, the other product does it better, but as I noted it was 3 times the price.

My focus was on just a couple sheets that I have to keep protected, even if the device it is on is secure.

As for removing them, thanks for that reference.

Collapse -
The other other problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2010 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I found a few folk turn a bit green or blue as I noted the Excel (or Word) password has as much security as a paper bag but hopefully this discussion showed that and more than one solution.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.