How To forum

Partition or file recovery

by DADSGETNDOWN / June 22, 2012 2:25 PM PDT

I did post this somewhere else after doing a search, but was told to start a new thread, couldn't decide on HowTo, Hardware, Software, OS, or What, so here we go.
(Original post in Original Thread)

In reply to Mr. Proffitt,
Are you saying my only choice is to send it to drive savers ? or couldn't I try to use that testdisk to recover or create the partition ? Since you said without a partition there are no files to recover.

(Original Post)
Okay, Mr. Proffitt. I have a similar issue, My ultimate question is, try to recover files first and with recuva or testdisk or ?, or try to repair or fix or create the lost partition or mbr or what first ?
Years ago on WIN98SE, I got a virus, I had AVG I had created a recovery disk or something with AVG, on a floppy, I ran it and it removed what it found. The drive boots to C where the OS is, but the partition was not seen, I think (long time and bad memory) I tried to run Windows floppy DOS mode trying to see the parition or create a new one, I wasn't sure what to do in there so I don't remember doing anything. I then just got a new drive, so now I have one of those Hard drive to usb adapters, all I want are the files...don't care about the partition per say.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partition or file recovery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partition or file recovery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
FYI, its...
by Willy / June 23, 2012 12:45 AM PDT

Too often if you get to this point in asking what to do, you're already over your head. While some s/w may provide some help, they're also prone to be on a learning basis as an user needs to know it step by step. Also, some freebies are nothing but trial s/w that really does part of the job, it can't complete the process until you pay for the full version. Also, again freebies maybe great to use but are so hard to use or unguided process, you get lost. Further, continued use may also place the very data in real super corruption and become unrecoverable. As Robert stated, "clone the drive" that way you've a 2nd chance or working recovery process that doesn't wipe out or fully corrupt the original data. There are many variables and all too often unknown to the new user trying this. Which is why, it's the "preventive maintenance" like a "back-up" to work from or recover from is better, rather than trying attempts at less than stable data. The last resort, costs permitting is to use some data recovery service. You can google and use the "paid for version" of some recovery s/w but these may not work if data is being recovered a real h/w issue as in a bad drive of any kind.

Alas, what worked with Win9x days may not be so forthcoming in XP and later OS versions. Its just another layer of complexity to deal with. If you can see the data on your troubled drive, then copy and swap over to the new USB ext. drive. If that doesn't work, so whatever s/w you require to clone or copy to that new drive. How does that work for ya?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Clarification Request
That previous discussion
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 23, 2012 6:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you Mark.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2012 6:52 AM PDT

Yes that is one of our favorite collections of recovery tools.

The problem seems pretty deep on this drive and since DADSGETNDOWN seems a little lost on data recovery or may be thinking there is some step by step to data recovery, this is why I'm thinking they should have it done for them.

Only the new tech would think there is a procedure that works everytime. And then you read there is no partition but why should that matter because I want my files back. This shows that they have a long way to go before they should go near a drive with the last copy on Earth.

DADSGETNDOWN should not be offended by all this so far. Everyone has to start somewhere and I'm seeing folk dive in and I applaud that.

Let's hope they see the danger on operating on the last copy or drive on Earth and will clone the drive then try the software at the link given.

At least when they try that and if it doesn't work out the drive with the last copy on Earth is still untouched and stands the best chance for the folk at Drive Savers.

Collapse -
I won't get offended
by DADSGETNDOWN / June 23, 2012 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you Mark.

I am to easy going for that and I don't know much about data recovery obviously.
I am not and have not used the drive since all this took place.
And I thought that the post telling me step 1 was to clone meant I should have done that before it messed up, like backing up, not right now first thing, unfortunately that was when I first starting using computers.
So it would seem I need a good cloning program, and or better yet check out the drivesavers, But the last time I checked, it's way to expensive for my blood, and there isn't anything Life threatening or ending on there, though maybe a few things like a picture of a family member or something, but nothing that's going to really hurt. That I don't already have.

Collapse -
I completely understand
by DADSGETNDOWN / June 23, 2012 11:12 AM PDT

Why the thread was locked and why you told me to start a new one., The reason I did post there though is because on something like this, I have been told to search (I did), this question has been asked blank many times and things like this, so I figured I would start there.

Collapse -
You're right of course
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 23, 2012 8:57 PM PDT

We do ask, and we do hope, that members here will use the Search function to look for options and solutions before they post, and then if they post, to refer back to what they have found.

We would prefer that older discussions are automatically locked after a set time and the Forum Engineers are looking into that, but until then these older threads are available for anyone to post in.

The problem is purely a practical one, or few.

Spam. Old threads seem to attract spammers who believe their posts will not be discovered in those old discussions.

Old information. What applied then may not apply now. In fact we have posters who want to argue points because something or other didn't work for them, not realising that what worked then has changed or disappeared. Some get quite upset when we tell them and ask them to repost with full details.

Lost posts. While the members here do try to help everyone, sometimes we do just 'walk on by' when we see the date of the older threads.

So search, yes, and thank you. But if the problem remains, let us know in your own discussion with any relevant information and searches.

All Answers

Collapse -
What I use to clone a drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 1:31 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.