Computer Help forum

General discussion

Partition not recognized, can't install Windows XP

by jereece / May 21, 2010 4:27 AM PDT

I have a Gateway laptop (couple years old) that had Vista installed on it. It somehow got totally messed up so I was going to reformat and install my old Windows XP Pro. When I booted from the Windows XP disk, after it loads the drivers, it says "Unknown Disk. There si no disk in this drive". So I removed the hard drive and connected it to my desktop computer as an external drive and it shows 2 partitions. I reformatted each of the partitions and put it back into the laptop. Booted from the Windows XP CD and it still says there is no disk in this drive. I rebooted and entered the bios. The bios shows the disk drive as normal.

So I have a hard drive that works but for some reason Windows XP install disk does not recognize. Any suggestions. I need to get XP installed on this laptop.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partition not recognized, can't install Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partition not recognized, can't install Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just to head off a repeating issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2010 4:29 AM PDT

Since no model be sure you are not asking the old XP WON'T INSTALL TO MY SATA DRIVE QUESTION which now has a few million answers.

Sure ask, but the reply may be to use the prior answers.

Collapse -
Repeat Issue unknown
by jereece / May 21, 2010 5:15 AM PDT

Maybe that is the problem. I was unaware of this. Since you say they are a few million posts, can you point me to a good one that explains what to do?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2010 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Repeat Issue unknown

I mean no I can't be exact about your Gateway since I can't find the model.

But type HOW DO I INSTALL XP TO A SATA HARD DRIVE on google, ask, or any search engine. If you want more exact answers try adding details to your post.

Collapse -
by jereece / May 21, 2010 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

The Gateway laptop is Model MT6728. Googled HOW DO I INSTALL XP TO A SATA HARD DRIVE and found some instructions about using nLite to slipsteam the drivers onto a new installation CD. This however did not work.

So, I am considering just buying Windows 7. If I do that, I assume the SATA issue will not exist?

Collapse -
That model will be a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2010 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Options

About slipstreaming. I found such unreliable and will not discuss it.

Reading I see this model does not have the BIOS OPTION to emulate IDE so the usual fix is not possible.

Why not run Vista that it came with? I have an all too similar machine but with 3GB RAM which helped a lot. It runs Vista as well as can be expected.

Yes, Windows 7 is a great idea but ask Gateway for the drivers first. And ask for "The Install Plan." Here's an example ->

Yes, that's for a HP and XP but the concept is the same. Without an INSTALL PLAN you'll only be upset.

Collapse -
by jereece / May 21, 2010 8:16 AM PDT

I can't install Vista because this computer did not come with any kind of disk to reinstall. It had a problem where it would boot to a totally black screen. So Vista was messed up. I think I will just buy Windows 7.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.