Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Partition Gone

by funkguru13 / March 30, 2005 9:54 PM PST

I have a 20 GB HDD.
It had three partitions, C , D and E.
The C partition had Win 98 Se, D had Win XP Pro and E had important data.

Now I installed Norton Partition Magic 8.0
I deleted partition C, renamed D to C and E to D. I distributed the unallocated space between the other two partitions left. Partition Magic restarted the PC and started doing its job. But just when the process was about to end, the electricity supply went off and my UPS failed to provide backup. Now, when I restarted my PC, it failed to boot Win XP. I decided to re-install XP. When the setup started, it showed two partitions - C: FAT and D: PowerQuest .
I formatted C and installed XP on it again. But the data from the partition D has become unrecoverable. The file system on D: is PowerQuest. I installed Part Magic again. It showed D: to have the file sys PqRP. I failed to convert it to FAT.

The partition had a lot of important data on it. The whole size of the partition was around 11 GB out of which 3 GB was full. But Part Magic shows that the whole partition if full. Win Xp setup shows around 3 GB to be free.

Please help me out here! I need to recover the data from that partition!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partition Gone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partition Gone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems dangerous.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2005 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: Partition Gone

What was the backup plan? Even without such procedures, hard disks stop spinning or go empty daily. "Important" data is worth a backup. And if a person doesn't, it usually means they have ignored others telling them about backup and just learn the hard way.

Just wondering why one would do all this and not have a backup. The procedure screams "Danger."

-> PowerQuest has a support line which is best called if you have no backup since they know what their software does.

Bob

Collapse -
DONE!!!
by funkguru13 / March 31, 2005 4:09 PM PST
In reply to: Seems dangerous.

Well Bob, the data has been recovered. I didn't need to contact PowerQuest or Symantec. The answer was with another person. He is Svend. He probably knows more about this stuff than anyone else in the whole world, even more than the makers of the software!!! Seriously, I sent him an email and he replied with the solution!!

If anyone else faces such problem, go to
_http://www.partitionsupport.com

He has made some utilities which you should download, send him the logs and he will send you the solution!!

P.S. Is there any way by which you guys can tell other people about this site. This thread will probably go down and no one will ever be able to find the solution to their PqRP problems. If its possible, just put this info anywhere on the site where it is clearly visible to all. I searched the net and found that numerous people were facing this problem and had found no solution. Try and search for pqrp, you will get the results!

And BTW, Bob, yeah I've leant my lesson!!! Thanks for the advice. Next time I won't be so stupid!! Wink

Collapse -
The Tools come with Partition Magic
by davidj7738 / March 31, 2005 5:29 PM PST
In reply to: DONE!!!

1. you did create the emergency/restore diskettes when you installed partiton magic right? If not, create the diskettes from the options in pqmagic.

If you know what the drive was before i.e. 2 primary partitions and 1 extended partition with 2 volumes in the extended partiton.. and know where the bad volume was then the data will still be there but the partition identifier will be incorrect and thus be invisible to the operating system.

All you have do do is use the partition editor (ptedit I believe) and change the volume type (id) to the previous type i.e. 07 for ntfs, 0B (hex) 11 decimal for Fat32 ending <1024 boundary, 0C(hex) 12 decimal for fat32>1024 ending past cylinder boundary

Collapse -
You are not...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2005 8:37 PM PST

The one that doesn't learn from such an event gets the "s" word.

Thanks for the tip, but let me comment that even with "expert" recovery help I've seen less than 50% data recovery. Backup wins every time.

Best of continued luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Data recovery ffrom PqRP partition
by Anilkseb / August 31, 2009 6:38 AM PDT

Recently I have tried to make another partition in my F: partition having 100GB.Suppply failure occured during the transfer of data made a PqRP partition in my hard disc having 500GB.I have some urgent data on the partition.My con figuration is AMD Athelon X2 64,Asus M3N 78 EM,500 GB Seagate,2GB RAM.First time I have 5 partitions of 100GB each. Please help me to recover the data from the PqRP partition.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.