Storage forum

General discussion

Partition a harddrive WITHOUT data loss

by SXR / June 25, 2007 1:09 AM PDT

Hello,

I was wondering , I have a lot of stuff on my 100 GB hard drive. And I want to make a dual boot system with Windows XP ( now installed ) and Linux Ubuntu. But can I make 1 or 2 partitions on my harddrive WITHOUT losing the data dat I have now? And without damagaing Windows XP? And then just install Linux on a partition. Is there a safe way to do this?

SXR

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partition a harddrive WITHOUT data loss
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partition a harddrive WITHOUT data loss
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Think of it this way:
by Papa Echo / June 25, 2007 2:13 AM PDT

If you have a good backup(read copies) of all your data, and can verify that you can access them, then what you want to do is safe. If you do not have a good backup, then it is not safe - whatever.

Collapse -
No
by SXR / June 25, 2007 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Think of it this way:

I do not have a program to properly backup stuff. Or you mean create a restore point? Anyway , how do I create partitions without losing data??

SXR

Collapse -
The only sure way is to have a copy of what you can't lose.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2007 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: No

While many are successful in doing this, the ones that don't post here asking "How do I get my files back?"

Bob

Collapse -
So
by SXR / June 25, 2007 5:36 AM PDT

So how do I actually create the Partition?

Collapse -
Creating a partition in XP is drop dead easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2007 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: So

If you have unpartitioned space then you run the Disk Management tool as noted at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

If you don't have unpartitioned space then a tool like PARTITION MAGIC is needed.

-> Let's ask one more question. Why do this?

There are some reasons floating about that it saves files during an OS reload which we can easily shoot down as "bad advice" but let's find out why you are doing this.

Bob

Collapse -
Program....
by Papa Echo / June 25, 2007 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: No

You already have the "program"-Windows Rxplorer. You make copies - to a pen drive, to an external drive, but these are only good copies. Invest in a DVD burner, burn them into CD-Rs, or DVD-Rs (not RWs), then they become much better than "good". If you think you have too much data to make these copies, do it anyway - use lots of DVDs. A good and free DVD burning program can be found at the www. Backup ! Things happen ! Then, and only then, find ways to partition.

Collapse -
PM
by SXR / June 25, 2007 5:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Program....

So with partition magic I can parition already partitioned space without data loss? I want to create a dual boot system between Windows and Linux.

Collapse -
Now we're talking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2007 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: PM

That LINUX CD. Most come with the capability to resize the partitions and save the Windows, files and all.

It's taken many posts for you to reveal this but you didn't tell which Distro. The top ten all do this fine but even PM and these can occasionally lose it all. Your choice to not lose it all.

Bob

Collapse -
Ajh
by SXR / June 25, 2007 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Now we're talking.

So if I get it right: I can just install Linux ubuntu from running the Linux CD. And it automaticly resizes my partition ( or I can do it ) without any dataloss??

Collapse -
Just a search showing how.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2007 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Ajh
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=UBUNTU+dual+boot+Windows

All this is thoroughly documented. May I ask why you don't do it their way?

And I see all pages note "Backing up your important data before beginning any install is especially important." We note that here since too many posts ask how to get their files back after use of Partition Magic and other such softwares. Not that it fails everytime, just for those that didn't backup.

Bob
Collapse -
Confirm
by SXR / June 25, 2007 11:59 PM PDT

So just confirm this for me , Linux Ubuntu installer can resize a partition and create free space. Then install Ubuntu on it. So no other apps are needed. I know about the backup stuff, a restore point will do ?

Collapse -
No, a restore point won't do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2007 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Confirm

As to Ubuntu they have a few variants but the one I used from the top ten distro list does NOT require me to own partition resizing or creation software. It does it all by answering "yes" to most install questions.

Bob

Collapse -
Restore point will do ?
by Papa Echo / June 26, 2007 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Confirm

No, Oh! No, Sir ! Definitely not ! If it happens, you will have no restore points !

Collapse -
Not guaranteed. If...
by Papa Echo / June 25, 2007 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: PM

Again, if you have backed up your files, or made copies of them, you won't lose your data, what ever you use. If there are no backups, you may lose your files and more. Things can happen. Let's say- if partitioning your HD screws it up and removes all the files or their access, you still have your files or data, whatever you like to call them - if, and only if, you have copies.

Collapse -
(NT) ok
by SXR / June 26, 2007 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Not guaranteed. If...
Collapse -
The Command to backup...
by Papa Echo / June 26, 2007 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

If you use a backup program(I have never used one.), find instructions which comes with it. For me, I make copies. The "commands" ? Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V, or, if you like, File>Copy, then File> Paste. That's for good copies. For burning unto CDs, you usually drag the files unto the program's "burning project" window - there should be instructions -and there is usually a "wizard" which simplily things.

Collapse -
by SXR / June 26, 2007 5:12 PM PDT

Im sorry. I don't think that your talking about the right things here..
I dont mean my doc's. But the programs and everything. And NTBACKUP doesnt work for me. Cuase I dont have a windows CD but I do have a legal windows copy. The windows "CD" is on a partition on my harddrive.

Collapse -
Well...
by Papa Echo / June 26, 2007 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: ..

...that's because you did not tell the right things. You do not backup programs - you keep their disks in a safe place and use them to reinstall your programs when you have to. If the recovery copy of Windows is in a hidden partition, then you create a CD for it - instructions should have come with the computer, but look through the start menu or the Control Panel for items which may enable you to create that important CD. You should also have the CD key to the legal copy. This may help in getting a copy of Windows at norminal cost. May I also suggest that you google for "Belarc Advisor", download and run it. keep a copy of the results-which contains lots of information about your computer- programs, licence keys, etc.

Wait for more advice from other CNet forum members.

Collapse -
Partition a harddrive WITHOUT data loss
by Noizxland / June 26, 2007 9:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
The problem here (with Disk Director) is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2007 10:53 PM PDT

That once in awhile you lose it all. This is not absolutely safe no matter what software is used. Those that don't backup are the most likely to learn why people talk and write so much about it.

Bob

Collapse -
Cant
by ferrari12508 / June 29, 2007 9:44 AM PDT

You need to reformat the drive to partition, and when reformatting you will lose all of your data

Collapse -
?
by christy / July 8, 2007 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Cant

I thought you partition first, then formart the partitions ? Now I am confused !

christy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.