PC Applications forum

General discussion

Parsons Technology Address Book 3.0

by churchig / October 6, 2006 12:48 PM PDT

I lost the hard drive and have a copy on a backup of my address book. I can't open it without ptssabdb.dll and wbtrcall.dll, which are lost. I really need these dll's and the addresses in the file. Does anyone have these. Please send to churchill_glen@prodigy.net

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Parsons Technology Address Book 3.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Parsons Technology Address Book 3.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Address Book 3.0
by cidegroot / November 16, 2006 10:52 AM PST

I am looking for the same files. Have you had any luck? We began with 3.0 and have upgraded through the years. We have 7.0, however, when removing some old programs, these needed drivers must have been removed. When loading the data files, 7.0 program requires the conversion files as you specified. It appears that 7.0 never updated the data file but rather converts them each time they are accessed. So without those conversion files we're up a creek. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Need Parsons Address Book files
by fulmere / January 6, 2007 10:21 PM PST

My father has maintained addresses of friends and family in an old Parsons Address book program--Address Book 2.0. I have his backup disks but can't access the data. I can't find his original program disk. He now suffers from Parkinson's Disease. I'm afraid all this data will be lost. I need ptsaabdb.dll and wbtrcall.dll to read his data. Any luck finding these files?

Collapse -
Not sure I understand
by fulmere / January 7, 2007 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: Cached link.

Bob, Not sure I understand. Are you saying that the Address Book back up may already contain a file ".mmf" that could be imported into another address book program to access the data? Right now, I put in his backup disk and my computer looks for a program. It finds the Address book program and then says it can't continue because it lacks those 2 files---so I can't press any export options because I can't get in. I need a few more details to proceed. Thanks.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2007 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: Not sure I understand

Just offering there may be other ways. Not an offer for step by step instructions.

Collapse -
A work around
by jabarrios / January 8, 2007 4:29 AM PST

Here's a technique I fould:

The Parsons Address Book is part of the PRINTSHOP 22 program by Broderbund. They renamed it Ultimate Mail Manager. It is the Parsons Address Book. After one week of trial and error, I was finally able to retrieve the Address Book data using the following steps:

1 Opened the data files into Access.
2 Exported from Access into Excel format
3 Opened the new Excel file.
Had to revise the "notes" field. Removed all extra (tabs) and (returns)
and extra spaces in the note field. This took some time to figure out that this was preventing the file from being imported.
5 Deleted the last 3 columns - They referred to other files
6 Saved as Tab delimited text file.
7 Purchased and installed the new PrintShop 22 for $29.99 at Staples
(Ultimate Mail Manager included)
Installation of PrintShop puts Ultimate Mail Manager in the following directory:
C:/Program Files/Common Files/Broderbund/UMM/Adbook.exe
I created a shortcut on my desktop so I don?t have to load PrintShop to get to the Address Book.
8 Created a new Address Book File (ie. Friends.AB2)
9 Imported the Tab Delimited text file. It allowed me to select and "Match"
the headers from two columns, the New Address Book File and the text file
(ie. First Name - First Name etc)

Once I got through these steps successfully, I was able to repeat it
for the other 10 address books.

It was alot of work until I found the right keys. Once I found the right steps, the rest was a breeze.

Collapse -
by fulmere / January 8, 2007 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: A work around

Thank you for the step by step help.

Collapse -
No !, I need the HELP !!!!
by stiljc1 / February 21, 2007 6:08 AM PST

Have been having this "problem" with this particular file: PTSAABDB.DLL; I have a copy of Parsons Address Book 7.0, but that is no help at all ! What I need is the file itself ! It is driving "me" NUTS !

My e-mail address is: stiljc1@msn.com. Any HELP is welcome. Thanks, Jack S

Collapse -
Address Book 7.0
by retlaw704 / April 23, 2007 1:16 AM PDT

Hi, I saw all the problems everyone was having with this program. I too have used Parsons Address Book for a long time, that I'm now using 7.0.
Those 2 dll files, PTSAAB32.DLL and PTSACX40.DLL have to be associated with ADBOOK.EXE. Right click each dll file and select properties, then select associations and browse to the address book directory and select adbook.exe.
After doing both files, try address book again. Worked perfectly for me.
Good luck,

Collapse -
I need a PTSAABDB.DLL file
by lindadach / October 15, 2007 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Address Book 7.0

I did associate the two dll's to the adbook.exe file, but the file I need is PTSAABDB.DLL and after doing a search of my computer I can not find the file. Address book 7.0 by Parsons says it can not find the file. I have reloaded the program numerous times and I can not get it to work. It tries to convert the data and then gives me the message about not finding the above file. Can you help me?

Collapse -
Address Book 7.0
by gpollard41 / December 26, 2007 1:29 AM PST

I have been using Address Book for many years and currently use 7.0.
I am looking for something even better to use for personal use or is Address Book 7.0 the best? Any suggestions on a good address book/mailer program.

Collapse -
Parsons Technologies Address Book 7.0 problem
by Bill1551 / January 30, 2008 6:46 AM PST

Everytime I try to go into this program, it says that the following file was not found.

Is this file available anywhere to download from?

Collapse -
Address Book 7.0
by gpollard41 / January 30, 2008 8:45 AM PST

Thank you for answering. I have solved my original problem but am wondering if anyone knows what has happened with "Address Book" I like it and have used it for many years but there have been no updates since 7.0 and I was once told it had been dropped. I have found a couple glitches in it but otherwise have not found another program to match it. Do you have any knowledge of the status of Address Book 7.0 or ? or do you know of anything better for home use?
Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide
Gary Pollard

Collapse -
computer crash
by Zulenes / March 5, 2008 2:07 AM PST

I too am in search of Address Book >7.0. I have 7.0 on my computers. I have used it for years and never had any problems. Now one of my computers has crashed and I can't find my 7.0 disc to reinstall and I can't find a Parsons Technology to reorder from. Did their legal suit run them under? Does anyone have an old 7.0?

Collapse -
(NT) Try Ebay.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2008 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: computer crash
Collapse -
Parsons Address Book
by msieck / April 24, 2008 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: computer crash

I had Address Book 6.a and have found 5.a. It seems to be working fine & I will share. Let me know if I can help you w/it.

Collapse -
Mo' Parsons
by Flatcat47 / April 25, 2008 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Parsons Address Book

Thank you --- I'd like to try that. What's the best way to transmit a copy?

Meanwhile, from a whole different angle........I am not wedded to Parsons; just happened to have it and use it and am now 1100 addresses into the process, making it a pain to copy manually. But if I were to bite that bullet, what is the most universal address book, likely to be obtainable, updatable, and backwards-compatible as the computer generations roll along?

Collapse -
by msieck / April 25, 2008 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Mo' Parsons

Transmit? No attachments available here, that i can see. You have an idea?
If you "aren't married" to it, what did you use instead?
I just know how dissappointed I was before I found my cd.

Collapse -
For flatcat47...
by John.Wilkinson / April 25, 2008 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Parsons

Sorry, but Parsons Technology Address Book is a copyrighted program that's not freely distributable, even with regards to obsolete versions, so discussion regarding 'sharing' copies isn't permitted. You may be able to purchase a copy at a low cost on Ebay or through a similar service.

Collapse -
by msieck / April 25, 2008 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: For flatcat47...

This program has not been made for years. no longer applies.

Collapse -
by Flatcat47 / April 25, 2008 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Parsons

Just so I have this straight....it's not okay for someone to make me a copy of an obsolete program that I cannot properly purchase (in any way that benefits the copyright holder) but it's okay for someone to sell me a used copy (not to the benefit of the copyright holder) on eBay? Or do you feel that only someone with a years-old (not sure how many years!) remaindered NIB copy may re-sell it?

Not arguing with you about the general proprieties of respecting copyrights (I'm a songwriter --- don't let's get started!) but, really, what does Monsieur recommend? I've been abandoned by Parsons, stuck with 1100 entries in an address book I can't open or move to a new computer unless I can come up with a copy of the program that is compatible with both my old backup file AND with, say, XP. [Other than potential dodges as earlier in this thread --- and STILL have to get a copy of the program).

Collapse -
parsons old address books
by msieck / April 25, 2008 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: copywrong

BTW, I have searched ebay for the software. Lowest price was $175. for something I paid about $10 ten years ago. I don't think copywright applies in this case, due to its obsoleteness. But, that's just me. The Parsons company use to be close to me (geographically) & I don't think they would approve of any price gouging. They were into spiritual/religious software too. So, what do we do? Nothing? Sometimes, common sense must pervail.

Collapse -
I know the argument, but...
by John.Wilkinson / April 25, 2008 9:53 AM PDT

The copyright is not automatically voided for "abondonware." The laws vary depend on the country and whether the programmer was an individual or a corporation, but for the most part the copyright doesn't expire until at least fifty years after the programmer's death. Thus, even though the program cannot be purchased from the programmer any longer and 'sharing' copies of the software does not cause any harm to any party it's still not permitted. The purchase of a used copy of the software, however, is permitted, provided it's a complete transfer of the license and all copies. It may not seem 'right,' but that's what's on the books.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 9:55 AM PDT

These forums can't discuss sharing copyrighted software. If anyone can show where Bob Parsons released the copyright (this software was sold a few years ago but I will not duplicate history) then we can live with this.

But as it is, such discussions will be locked if anyone asks for a copy.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.