Computer Help

General discussion

Parameter is incorrect

by briana200083 / August 1, 2008 4:03 AM PDT

I am having a problem booting up every since I downloaded spybot from here,once booted up I get a popup of a black screen that has c\windows\system32\command and another screen that says the parameter is incorrect, and it will not let me go any further, I am running Windows XP home edition on a Dell Latitude laptop with service pack 2, I need help now because this is some elses computer that I was trying to get all the spyware off of but something went wrong in the process.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Parameter is incorrect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Parameter is incorrect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If Spybot is the culprit,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 1, 2008 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Parameter is incorrect

then I would uninstall it. Hopefully there is a System restore point you can go back to a date before Spybot was installed, and I would try that rather than the normal uninstall method. if you cannot get into Windows normally, try booting into Safe Mode. Just press the F8 key once a second after the initial BIOS boot screen until the list of Safe Mode options appear. Then choose the top option and press Enter.

If you can get to the Safe Mode list of options but cannot load Windows, reboot into Safe Mode and try the option "Last known good configuration".

Does this system have AVG8 by any chance? It is Grisoft's replacement for AVG7 anti-virus. I ask because there has been mention that AVG8 breaks Spybot.

If that works, I would download MalwareBytes and SUPERantispyware and run those separately to search for and remove any spyware.

Mark

Collapse -
parameter is incorrect
by briana200083 / August 1, 2008 6:27 AM PDT

I already deleted spybot, but I will try what you said to see what happens and I will let you know if that helps,thanks.

Collapse -
That "pop-up" is a command prompt window ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 2, 2008 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Parameter is incorrect

so you need to check within your MSCONFIG to see what is causing it to initiate on boot.

As a hint, many downloaded programs will make use of command line archivers to uncompress their files for installation and often the command requires various parameters. Many trojans use the same approach so running MalwareBytes is a very good suggestion.

Collapse -
parameter is incorrect
by briana200083 / August 2, 2008 10:33 AM PDT

Do I have to pay for that or is it free.

Collapse -
Assuming you mean MalwareBytes ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 2, 2008 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: parameter is incorrect

take your choice - it is free or you can pay for the more full featured version with auto rather than manual updates as well as realtime protection.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.