PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Parallel port not working

by tgahan / November 3, 2003 8:36 PM PST

I installed a new HDD recently and reloaded Windows 2000
Pro. I have two parallel ports, one on-board (LPT1) and
the other (LPT2) is on a card in a slot.
When i attached my printer (HP 840c) to LPT1, the computer
did not detect it. I manually installed the win 2k printer
driver and still the printer was not detected.
When i connected the printer to LPT2, the printer was
detected immediately and functioned as normal from this
port.
In device manager both LPT1 and LPT2 are listed as working
correctly and drivers are installed.There are no conflicts
betwwen the ports, LPT1=0378 and LPT2 = 0278 (IRQs).
I tried changing the port mode for LPT1 in the BIOS from
SBB to EPP mode and the printer started printing symbols
and kept feeding paper instead of printing a single page
plain text document i was using for the test when
connected to LPT1 (NO problem printing from LPT2) .
I uninstalled LPT2 completely and restarted the PC and still LPT1 would not work, but is listed in device manager as working correctly.
How can i get the port (LPT1)working again.

Home PC
Pentium III
650Mhz
256Mb ram
40GB HDD
Msi 6153VA Motherboard
Windows 2000 Pro SP4
Microsoft Office XP Pro

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Parallel port not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Parallel port not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Parallel port not working
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2003 9:04 PM PST

After I try the other BIOS settings for the parallel port, I find a PCI Parallel Port board, disable the onboard portand that fixes such. About 10 to 20 dollars which is cheaper than a new board. You seem to have found the printer and its cable works on the other port, so the port seems defective. Since you can't repair onboard ports for any reasonable amount, replacement is the option.

I've also used the USB to Parallel adapters if I ran out of slots.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Parallel port not working
by Willy / November 3, 2003 9:48 PM PST

Reload your mtrbd. drivers as well from the recovery CD or mtrbd. provided CD from vendor. Do this before buying another lpt card if that what maybe the last resort to fix this. You say nothing changed other than new HD and W2K pro but the system just didn't catch that right upon install. Its important as PCI bridging and/or buss mastering the mtrbd. drivers may conflict with MS provided similar s/w, sometimes its best to reload the W2K drivers from vendor. Return the lpt port to SPP as the printer likes that as the std. default setting, EPP/EPC(?) isn't needed for your model printer.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
Re:Re:Parallel port not working
by tgahan / November 4, 2003 1:13 AM PST

Thanks Willy
Where do i get the motherboard drivers?
I don't have any motherboard CD

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Parallel port not working
by Willy / November 4, 2003 11:12 AM PST

In your orginal post you mention MSIxxxx something, that's Microstar. Thus goto the microstar support website. I suggest you www.google.com websearch for the model# you have and verify it and then click on the apporoiate hit. Then d/l the required drivers, they maybe 4-in-1 type or similar, but it should mention mtrbd./chipset drivers.

good luck -----Willy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.