Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Parallel Intranet on wireless router w/o internet access

by adroit_91 / March 2, 2008 9:42 PM PST

Hello everyone,
I want to create a parallel intra-net on my wireless router (apart from the one that I use to access the internet), which should not have access to the internet.

Basically, I want to share files and folders as well as do any kind of networking possible with the computers on my LAN, but do not want to allow some PCs to connect to the internet through it. Is it possible to do it?

I have a Beetel 440TX Wireless Router+Access Point. In case you could give me generic hints, I would try them out on my router, as it is not a popular brand.

I use a Macbook Pro with Leopard running and all the other machines are Windows Vista or XP, although, I don't think that is important. I want my Macbook Pro as well as my Nokia N95 to be able to connect to the internet, but only an intranet for the rest of the computers, as in there should be no bridge between the other computers and the PPPoE that my DSL connection gives.

Thanks,
Anup

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Parallel Intranet on wireless router w/o internet access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Parallel Intranet on wireless router w/o internet access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2008 10:02 PM PST

Go ahead and hook it up normally. Now note the IP settings and use those but add 10 to the last machine IP address (or more) then don't issue then a DNS. Without the DNS they can't get far.

Bob

Collapse -
Clarification
by adroit_91 / March 2, 2008 10:24 PM PST
In reply to: Simple.

I think I missed out mentioning the following:

My ISP provides automatic DNS as well as IP address to the router.

The other PCs used a separate Ethernet (i.e., wired) connection for the internet. I just want to stop them from using my Wireless connection for using the internet in order to conserve bandwidth.

Collapse -
Then manually set them up...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2008 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: Clarification

But leave the DNS entry empty. They won't get far.

Bob

Collapse -
Thank you.
by adroit_91 / March 4, 2008 1:27 AM PST

Hey Bob,

Thanks a lot for your time. But, are you saying that it is not possible to have a configuration that stops the interaction between the intranet and the internet completely.
As in, can I not configure the router to allow only particular MAC addresses, for eg, to be able to access the internet, and the rest may be allowed to be on the intranet?

Thanks,
Anup

Collapse -
I can't answer this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2008 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you.

I don't have your router, it's firmware version and if I could do that with that router. What I can offer is the easy fix.

Bob

Collapse -
Router model and firmware version
by adroit_91 / March 4, 2008 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: I can't answer this.

Hello Bob,
The router is a Beetel 440TX, which I am sure, is not produced anywhere outside India, as it belongs to mh ISP's own broadband products range. And, the firmware version is 3.7.0B.

Now, since I do not expect people to have this router outside of India, in case you are able to guide me in a generic manner or in a way specific to some router you use, I will try to find my way inside of my router and try to configure it that way.

Thanks,
Anup

Collapse -
Please try the method I noted above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2008 11:00 AM PST

It's the easiest method...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.