Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Paragon bootmanager

by psions5 / September 11, 2004 12:35 AM PDT

This program has disallowed me access to my whole PC, anyone out there got any experience with it? NAmely removing it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Paragon bootmanager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Paragon bootmanager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Paragon bootmanager
by Yew / September 11, 2004 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Paragon bootmanager

You can try booting from your XP CD, and then going into the recovery console. Once you've logged in, try running the command "fixmbr" and see if that helps.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2004 2:21 AM PDT

"Paragon Knowledge Base System
ID 1027: How to remove Boot Manager
Q: How can I remove Boot Manager outside my Windows-OS?

A: There are several ways to do it:
1. boot from a Boot Manager diskette and choose the "Deactivate" item from the "Boot Manager" menu;
2. boot from any DOS-bootable diskette and run "fdisk /mbr";
3. boot from Windows XP CD, choose "Repair" and run "fixmbr"."

From their website. Just asking, why didn't you look there?

Collapse -
by psions5 / September 12, 2004 2:19 AM PDT

I did look at that and I have tried all of it, but still cant.

1.I cant see how you create a Bootmanager Disk
2.I get "Bad command" or something like that
3.My PC came with no XP disk, It has a special recovery partition that can be accesed by pressing F10 in the Bios, but this bootmanager wont even let me do that, Im at my wits end, I cant afford a new 120gb Hard disk, Any other suggestions, I'm really going to blow my top with these paragon people, they obviously havent thought of different circumstances some PC's run with.!!!! SadSadSad

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2004 4:25 AM PDT

Here's why. Such repairs can cause XP to ask for the CD or need it.

Even HP now supplies a way to make that restore CD, so you may want to share the story about why you don't have a XP CD.

In closing, I don't want to sound too negative, but without that CD, you will not be running XP very long.

Time to fix this problem before you lose it all.

Collapse -
by psions5 / September 13, 2004 12:07 AM PDT

With the price the PC costed, you'd think they would entitle you to have the XP home CD-Rom, How about if I remove the hard disk, format the C: Drive, which contains the program files for boot manager, I can then leave the D: Drive unformatted that is the "recoverey partition" which can Re-Install windows? I'd rather not do this because I'll loose all my data, so Is there no other alternative?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2004 12:11 AM PDT

You didn't tell the story so I can't help you.

Some PCs such as the HP line don't have the CD, but let you create the restore CDs.

If you have such, it would have helped me help you create the CD set.

But you elected not to tell your story and as such, we are done.

Best of luck in your travels.

Collapse -
by psions5 / September 13, 2004 1:43 AM PDT

What story, no offence but you are confusing me, What do i need to tell you for you to tell me?

Collapse -
It's in the FORUM TIP!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2004 2:23 AM PDT

Just above every post you make is this passage:

"If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

I asked about your machine since it matters. HP gives us a way to make a XP restore CD. Knowing what machine this is and "about" your machine and the story why you don't have such a CD gives direction on how to solve.

Let me be clear that some have a pirated OS and those can't be helped except to guide them back the supplied that caused their issue.

Why haven't you followed the forum tip?

Collapse -
Re: It's in the FORUM TIP!
by psions5 / September 13, 2004 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: It's in the FORUM TIP!

It's A HP Pavillion T540.UK, With a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ ClawHammer @ 2000mhz, 1GB of RAM (512 Factory), and a 120gb Western DIgital HDD, It has a specialst board from Asus with a Nvidia Nforce3 (150) Chipset. It rolled off the production line with XP Home SP1. THe only CHanges made to the PC were an extra 512MB of RAM and the Installation of XP Proffesional X64 Edition for Athlon 64's, Opetrons and other 64 bit CPU's. THat's all. I did get the occasional message saying that I can create backup CD's, but the PC is used constantly so, I never really had the time to back anything up, So do I need to call HP now and get a CD, or can I go with my suggestion of deleting the Paragon Program from the HDD, using my secondary PC?

Collapse -
That's better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2004 10:28 PM PDT

I'm going to rant on you a little here. It only took more than two posts to reveal you have the machine that comes with the capability to make those all important restore CDs. But I read you decided not to and now must decide what to do next.

" I did get the occasional message saying that I can create backup CD's, but..."

But nothing! You neglected to backup and now are paying for it. No complaints will be heard as you dug your own pit and forgot your ladder. You get to decide what to do.

XP64 is just a year license and that 200 bucks US for a copy of XP Home, 300 for XP Pro (prices vary) so one wonders why people toss their money out like that. The call to HP is the cheap one compared to buying the OS!

As to removing the boot manager, that was answered and what you need to do now is:

1. Use HP's tool they provided and offered to make the CD set.

2. Use the supplied method from Paragon to fix your boot issue.

Collapse -
Windows vista home premiun
by surme / April 16, 2008 10:42 PM PDT

This methods for remove paragon boot manager outside the Windows OS working for windows vista?

Please give a answer soon.

Collapse -
Please don't bury your posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2008 11:09 PM PDT

This is an old discussion and you are in the wrong forum.

You also didn't follow the forum note about system info and more. Why not make your own complete post so you get an answer rather than questions?

Collapse -
by psions5 / September 13, 2004 11:18 PM PDT

Going back a few posts R.Proffit, What's to stop me placing the machines hard disk drive into my secondary PC and removing the Paragon Software from the drive, SO I can keep my data too, And If I do need to format it, at least I can backup my data.

Collapse -
You can use KNOPPIX.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2004 11:29 PM PDT

Your base issues remain, but KNOPPIX allows me to backup without diddling with the person's machine. Here's an article about it ->

You ignored your machine's offer to make the restore CD, you seem to not want to order the restore CD and now are looking for some solution I can't offer because...

I don't want to be responsible for you losing your data.

Got it?

Collapse -
Re: You can use KNOPPIX.
by psions5 / September 13, 2004 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: You can use KNOPPIX.

"Your base issues remain" Do you mean not being able to boot or having no XP CD? I do have SuSE live Eval, so that will be just as good, but It's still no real problem to just move the HDD Around, If I get it back working I will immediatley create the disks, I have learned my lesson, so before any game playing or long surfing sessions, Ill create all the neccesary Cd's, Thanks for all your help R.Proffit! and everyone else of course Happy

Collapse -
Try that live eval CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2004 11:47 PM PDT

Look to K3b for CD/DVD file backup...

As to the base issue, I mean the lack of your restore CD. That's some 200 to 300 bucks if you lose the right to get a set from HP. It's the base issue that is the brick wall that stopped us cold.

You can flip drives around, but I can't help people do anything that is risky. But again, you make your choices and you take the chance.

Collapse -
Re: Try that live eval CD.
by psions5 / September 13, 2004 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Try that live eval CD.

OK Ill use a live eval rather than risk anything, now where did i put that CD................

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.