Peripherals forum

General discussion

Paper misfeed problem, Samsung ML-1710 laser printer

by Keith in Albany / June 27, 2009 1:47 AM PDT

I've been struggling with paper misfeeds (roller picks up sheet but it does not feed into the print path, printer shuts down) for months. I've cleaned the pick-up rollers with alcohol, have switched paper stock several times, try a nearly-full paper tray and a half-full and quarter full paper tray. Each solution seems to work for a while, then the problem starts again. This printer was manufactured in 2003. Other than this problem, I love it and hate to give up on it, but is it time to let go and buy a new one. Or is there a reasonable solution I haven't tried yet. It didn't cost a whole lot when I bought it and replacing it would not be expensive either, so that's not much of an issue. I want to make a decision before I have to replace the toner cartridge, which is kind of pricey.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Paper misfeed problem, Samsung ML-1710 laser printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Paper misfeed problem, Samsung ML-1710 laser printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Similar dilemma here
by Steven Haninger / June 28, 2009 5:21 AM PDT

Mine is an HP1100 and I've repaired or replaced picker and roller parts a few times over the years but the darned thing won't die. I get 3000 pages on a cartridge that costs about 70 bucks...not bad...but I think it's time to not keep a backup cartridge in stock. Time to let it go and move on. My advice to you or anyone else would be the same.

Collapse -
re; similar dilema here
by Keith in Albany / June 28, 2009 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Similar dilemma here

Thanks for the suggestion. That's where I was leaning, too. But thought it appropriate to see if anyone had a different idea.

Collapse -
Checkout...
by Willy / June 28, 2009 11:40 AM PDT

There is a product called, "rubber rejuvenator" that cleans rubber wheels and such. Beware it is a strong cleaner and attacks plastic. Find it at office supply or computer shops, etc., or google online. I also suggest you never use alcohol again as a cleaner, it dries out the rubber and defeats the purpose over time. If possible, you may need a service kit, but at what cost. Its cheaper to buy another plain B&W printer unless you want color now. Anyways, a printer after X-yrs. will exhibit your problems.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.