TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Panasonic TV Fuzz

by vahnx / March 9, 2013 4:30 AM PST

This happens on any input (hdmi, composite, etc) when viewing certain images. The screen darkens and the plasma starts to jitter/become fuzzy. If anyone knows of a fix, please let me know ASAP. This started happening about when my warranty ran out. Would replacing a board fix it or is there an easier way?

It's a Panasonic Viera TC-P60S30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opKWo3nYEl0

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TV Fuzz
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TV Fuzz
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you turn off all motion smoothing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2013 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: Panasonic TV Fuzz

Look around for any video processing feature and turn it off.

Collapse -
Panasonic TV Duzz
by vahnx / March 9, 2013 9:05 AM PST

There is no video processing feature to my knowledge. I tried turning off/on the pixel orbiter, tightening the boards on the back, isolating the power source etc. to no avail. This picture for example will cause it instantly: http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8356/panasonictest.jpg

When I lower the brightness it is less noticeable but that shouldn't be the permanent fix as this didn't happen until about a year in. I realize in the video I uploaded it's hard to see. I've showed a technician but he hasn't gotten back to me in a month.

Collapse -
Link shows 600 Hz display.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2013 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: Panasonic TV Duzz
Collapse -
Settings
by vahnx / March 9, 2013 11:34 AM PST

I've changed practically every setting, but that shouldn't matter as this didn't occur until about a year in - not changing the settings since I configured it say one. Video NR being Off, Weak, Normal or Strong has the same effect when viewing the above image: Screen darkens and little specs/fuzz/noise is seen until I open a white page (like notepad full screen) or go to the metro UI in Windows 8 (all blue).

As for image retention, I've been using this as my monitor since I got it back around November 2011 and any retention will disappear after a minute or so after placing a different image in that "retention spot". The reason for using it as a monitor is for the best browsing/gaming/video experience in an all-in-one package, and it works great! But retention is not the issue here, it's the fuzz.

Collapse -
Since it's not working now and did before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2013 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Settings

My bet is on some firmware update in the TV was done or is required. Try that first then call it in to arrange for service.

But Windows 8 was not out in 2011 so maybe that's the clue? That is, I rarely see folk get a good Windows install even after decades. It could be the PC after all. Talk to your PC's maker about this.
Bob

Collapse -
Board Replacement
by vahnx / March 10, 2013 11:04 PM PDT

It happens on any input, weather it be a PC running Windows 7, 8, OS X, Xbox, Wii U, or even the built in TV software to view photos or Facebook on an SD card. It's also on version 1.30 which is the latest firmware (to my knowledge and according to the built in firmware updater). I did call to arrange for service, I will get back to them on that (it's been over a month and no response).

Meanwhile, I think it's one of the components on one of the boards/one of the boards itself. I was thinking I could replace one of the boards behind the panel but I'm not sure which would relate to this issue. If anyone knows where I can buy such boards for my model and know of some documentation on how to replace the boards, let me know.

Collapse -
That's not a good sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2013 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Board Replacement

I looked at http://www.shopjimmy.com/ and didn't see panasonic on the maker's list on the top page.

Hope the repair folk get back to you.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Solved
by vahnx / November 14, 2013 9:28 PM PST
In reply to: Panasonic TV Fuzz

Apologies for the delayed reply. This was eventually solved by tightening the motherboard screws. It's common for manufacturers such as Panasonic to leave the screws a bit loose.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.