TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Panasonic TH-50PZ800 or TH-50PZ850

by banja2004 / June 20, 2008 12:28 PM PDT

Hi, I can't decide which of these two TV?s to buy, TH-50PZ800 or TH-50PZ850. I've read the review on 50PZ800 but you still don't have the review on 850 model. TH-50PZ800 has THX certificate and the other one doesn't. Is the picture going to be as good on 850 or is it going to be noticeably worse because it doesn't have THX certificate? Bottom line, which TV has better picture?

Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TH-50PZ800 or TH-50PZ850
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TH-50PZ800 or TH-50PZ850
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
still waiting too...
by ctuy / June 20, 2008 2:03 PM PDT

I am also waiting on the review of 850U. Right now I am not sure if 850U's picture will be better than the 800U.

ctuy

Collapse -
my 800u
by lsufool / June 21, 2008 6:01 AM PDT

Got mine(50 inch) a few days ago and am very dissapointed in HD picture. Now, I am a broadcast tv guy almost exclusively but my last years 42 inch Panny in the bedroom has a much better picture. The Direct TV guy is coming out a.m. to check it out. Bluray picture may be a whole 'nuther story. Should the larger screen alone result in poorer broadcast tv picture?

Collapse -
your right
by swiggins / June 21, 2008 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: my 800u

No,no, man, you 100% right. I went to Best Buy to see the 800 and the 850 in person and I have to tell you, (maybe it was because it was next to the Pioneer) it looked horrible. . I went in the the color adjust and the blacks were not even close to the Pioneer, they weren't even as black as the Samsung. . The colors seemed fake and cartoony and the feed was the same on all the TV's. . . I even brought a print out of the picture settings that Cnet recommended and I was underwelmed and upset. . . I thought I was going home with a new TV yesterday, and then I saw it.
I did however see the 850, and the picture looked way better. . . Maybe that particular 800 was a lemon, or the feed was screwed up , but it wasn't even the 5th or 6th best looking plasma of it's size on the floor. . Even the lower priced 85 looked better. . . I am gonna have to go to a couple more stores and see the 800 with different feeds just to make sure. . but If this is the case, I will sell my soul and get the Pioneer.

Collapse -
Dude, you are SOOOOOooooooooo WRONG!!!!
by Jblues2k / August 3, 2008 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: your right

OK, what baffles me is all the peeps on here who think they KNOW it all because they go to a "BEST BUY" and compare TV's. HELLO, I hate to burst your so called (expert) bubbles here, but those BLUE SHIRTS at BEST BUY, know about as much about HD as you do on here writing all these reviews. Let's be honest, those blue shirts are about a step above someone working at a Wal-Mart or Target when it comes to knowledge about HD. They could sell you a service contract with a snap of the finger, but they couldn't tell you the difference between 1080i or 1080p.

What baffles me is how you can sit there comparing how great a Pioneer is to a Panasonic and the reality is that Pioneer can't compete anymore with Panasonic. Pioneer is begging them to make their plasma panels next year too. That's right, Panasonic aka the world's NUMBER 1 manufacture of all comsumer electronis is making the panels for Pioneer in 09 - go LOOK it up if you don't believe me.

So, to all the peeps like you who think Best Buy has the best picture display (I am still laughing at that one) - go to a REAL store and maybe compare a REAL HD feed and not some poor lighting retail chain store. What's next? Will you compare VIZO's picture quality that you saw at Wal-Mart next to Panasonic next?

I'm sure that you will also tell me how much better LCD is verses Plasma too???

LOL

Collapse -
So does someone in your family own Panasonic?
by timBo1981 / May 15, 2009 12:05 AM PDT

I will begin by mentioning that 'yes, I have a problem with people who side with a company like it was their namesake.' You are right that people at Best Buy don't know much more then what is written on product descriptions BUT ... then you just blow up your worthless argument and go on a rant about nothingness ... Pioneer is begging for Panasonic to make thier panels "go LOOK it up if you don't believe me."

So Pioneer can't compete in this economy, they are more a specialty company then Panasonic (don't believe me, GO LOOK IT UP) and therefore Panasonic's are now superior? Where is your logic?

Who said Best Buy has the best picture display? They have the most (where I am from anyways), and it ends there. You continue on a little 'My friends think I am cool' rant about Wal Mart and Target, but you just sound like a complete idiot - and to top it all off, you end your post in "LOL"

Dude, congrats that you haven't given into the hype about LCD's, but please try and educate yourself with REAL knowledge - Elite's are superior and it's a shame they won't be made anymore, period

Collapse -
Tim is wrong
by Jblues2k / November 28, 2010 1:55 PM PST

Hey Timmie, what happened to Pioneer? Looks like they went out of business and Panasonic took them over you moron. You shouldn't pop off like a typical moron because you have no clue what you're talking about.

Enjoy your non high tech life. Yes I am LOL at you right now.

Collapse -
Incorrect
by Pepe7 / November 29, 2010 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: Tim is wrong

Panny did not 'take over' Pioneer. I guess you aren't as 'high tech' as you thought you were (ROTFL).

Collapse -
HUH????
by Jblues2k / August 3, 2008 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: my 800u

You are a broadcast guy, but you don't know about Studio Reference Mode? Hello, that is like the ultimate trade up feature on the PZ850 series and it blows away that OLD THX technology. Compare maybe the IMAX to say an old $1 movie run down theater and you get the idea.

You also get Viera Cast aka internet connection on that model and I won't type about that, because I will lose you big time if I do.

GOOGLE it people... If you don't know what you are typing about, go google it and research it before you make fools of yourselves typing goofy questions.

Cool

Collapse -
50" 800u retraction
by lsufool / June 22, 2008 5:14 AM PDT

directtv guy just left, CC installer had done setup to the wrong satellite dish(I have the latest one). Fixed now and broadcast TV HD picture is outstanding. SD picture is just OK. I am sure Bluray or other HD uses would be excellent as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.