TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Panasonic TC-PVT30 HELP Little green dots

by hgvm / December 7, 2011 4:45 AM PST

Can someone who owns this tv please help me, Can you please put in vivid mode with default settings, and watch the credits of a blu ray movie 50 cm next to the tv, where you have a black background and only letters and tell me if you see in the black areas little green dots?
My tv has them and I don't know if this is normal, if you watch 2 meters away you don't see them, but if you get very closely you can see them. Also if you lower the brightness to around 50, they will dissapear.
I complained to the store about this, and some technicians came to my house, watched the tv and told me it was normal to see the little green dots at such a close distance, that only if you see the green dots from a watching distance itis a porblem, otherwise not.
I am not sure about this, so if someone who owns this tv can confirm if this is normal or not, I would be very thankfull to you. Please help me!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TC-PVT30 HELP Little green dots
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TC-PVT30 HELP Little green dots
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 4:51 AM PST seems nice enough HOWEVER I am encountering folk that are getting very close to these sets (your complaint is not uncommon) and pointing defects in digital images. Yes there are defects and NO there are no plans to make this picture perfect. If this is not acceptable, return the unit but be aware that such decode and such defects are common. I can only guess that folk are new to this media and are moving from PIXEL PERFECT PC displays and expecting same on TVs.
Collapse -
by hgvm / December 7, 2011 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment.

Thanks for your answer but I really don't understand what you are saying, Do you own the tv? Do you see the little green dots ?
My panasonic Tc-Pvt30 has this problem, please someone who owns the same tv help me, please confirm me if you have the same problem, if this is normal?

Collapse -
I've seen those dots on other sets.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 5:21 AM PST

Let me state it clearly that I can find pixel flaws in the rendering of digital content on almost all sets. This area is one that can upset those that thought otherwise. And to boost the brightness the rendering software may indeed have to pull other colors into play.

If you must have pixel perfect, I fear the current designs are not for you.

Arrange for a return if this unit bothers you and does not meet your expectations. But it did rank as one of the best in class.

Collapse -
Panasonic TC-PVT30 HELP Little green dot
by hgvm / December 7, 2011 5:31 AM PST

Thanks for your aswer again, please if you can help me with another question.
You can only see this little green dots on the dark areas of the picture, where there is color you don't see them, the technicians told me that plasmas are made of green, red, and blue dots or something like that, and that it is normal if you see them very closely, but what I want to know is,if this is normal, why do they disapear if you lower the brigthnes,.
For example with the settings that david katzmaier provided for thx mode in his review, with 55 brightness you see the little green dots, but if you lower to 54 brightnes, thy dissapear.
Thanks for your help

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2011 12:35 AM PST

I fear my explanation didn't work for you.

Collapse -
this is common
by gabereyes / December 8, 2011 1:52 PM PST

I have two plasma TVs they both do this, it can be corrected in the settings of the set...
First you should have your TV in the THX mode to get the best and most accurate picture.

the green dots show up when the brightness is set to high, the best way to fix it is to by a calibration DVD and use test patterns to set the brightness at the right level, its important to know that the brightness adjustment controls the black level of the TV, and you should set it one level past the point of seeing the green dancing dots, you may lose a little bit of detail in dark scenes of movies but its not enough to worry about.....

hope this helps
good luck

Collapse -
by hgvm / December 8, 2011 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: this is common

Thank you very much for your reply, I've done what you say and you are totally right,in thx mode with david katzmaier settings, if you lower the brightness to 54 the dots dissapear, if you raise to 55 they appear gaian. One thing I notice is that the little points are not only green, but red and blue also, and if for example you raise the brightness to 85 in vivid mode there are thousand of them and they move like crazy in dark scenes.
The thing is that my Panasonic TC-PVT30 is brand new, so why should I loose detail in dark scenes when I paid a lot of money for one of the best tvs of the year, so I don't know if this is normal. I've read in some forums that it is not normal, and that you have to adjust the v-sus voltages or something like that.
I also own two other plasmas and when you raise the brightness you don't get that problem like in the vt30, you see some kind of pattern in the screen but not the thousand little green, red and blue dots like in my Vt30.
That is why I want to konw if someone who owns the exact same model(Panasonic Tc-Pvt30) has also the little green dots when you raise the brigtness for example in vivid mode to 85.
Thanks for yor help

Collapse -
not the exact same tv
by gabereyes / December 9, 2011 7:02 AM PST

I have one TC-PVT20 and one S30 and they both do it, and at my store we have a VT30 and a GT30 in a room with no lighting, all of them do it.

yes you did pay for the best TV on the market as of right now, if your TV was perfect it would hit a 00.0000000 black level with perfect detail in dark scenes and perfect color.

you will only lose a very small amount of detail in the picture, and I promise this is normal its just easier to see the dots on a TV with that good of a black level....

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.