HDTV Picture Setting forum

Tip

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / June 4, 2012 12:09 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-pvt50-series/4505-6482_7-35118305.html

Related products:
Panasonic TC-P55VT50

Calibration report using these settings:
http://scr.bi/K9YGQ4

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Panasonic TC-P65VT50 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: THX Cinema mode came closest to my ideal settings in terms of grayscale, but was a bit dim at 30Fl. THX Bright room upped light output to about 40Fl, but its grayscale was a bit less-accurate. In both cases the grayscale looked too green, and both THX modes' default contrast settings, despite appearing to allow some adjustment, represent those modes maximum light output. In other words, turning up Contrast in THX Cinema past the default 76 doesn't make the picture any brighter. Those limitations mind I opted to use the extensive Custom controls to improve the picture over THX.

The result was better than either THX mode, especially in terms of grayscale, and much better than what I experienced on last year's VT30--although it wasn't as perfect as I expected to get given the level of control available.

In its favor Custom finally employs proper color balance with program material, and the color management system didn't require much tweaking to get as good as possible. That's fortunate because tweaking the CMS is frustrating; its controls for red, green and blue luminance were basically ineffective, and cyan luminance and hue, as well as blue luminance, varied significantly between measurements, making them impossible to adjust correctly. The other controls worked better, and I used the saturation controls to affect RGB luminance as well as I could. I still could only achieve "average" scores in the final measurement however, and while the difference between average and good on my scale is tough for the human eye to discern, I'm sure with proper control over RGB luminance I could get them all "good."

The grayscale offers both a standard two point system and a 10-point system, the latter with a gamma detail control for all ten points as well. I was able to get the best results using the two systems in conjunction and mostly avoiding the gamma detail control, although I did tweak it a bit at certain levels. I was again frustrated by significant fluctuation from measurement to measurement though; in the worst case at 40 and 50 IRE, I saw swings of a full footlambert (which seems minor but has a big impact on gamma measurements at that luminance level) and up 1000K without changing any adjustments. The crucial 20IRE measurement also varied enough to measure only "average" when I did my final calibration run, despite being close to dead-on after I finished adjusting it the first time. In short, at many IRE levels the actual light output and color of gray seems to be more of a moving target than on most other high-end TVs I've calibrated.

I tried reducing maximum light output to see if the measurements became more consistent, but it didn't help much. I saw similar swings in THX Cinema as well, where 60 IRE was particularly volatile. I'm curious how some other reviewers/calibrators can achieve seemingly perfect charts with their VT50s (my guess: they're better at calibrating than me), but in my case the measurements, and thus the charts, were less consistent than I expected. That said colors still looked superb on this set with program material, and my Custom calibration looked quite a bit better--with more contrast and a less-green grayscale--than either THX mode.

If you'd like to compare between a calibrated Custom and THX, it's worth noting that in both THX Cinema and THX Bright Room the picture won't be improved much (if at all) by changing the default settings. I tweaked Color in Cinema among others, and the default value of +46 was best.

My TC-P65VT50 was aged 150 hours before review, measurement and calibration.

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: +84
Brightness: +58
Color: +50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Color mgmt: Off [grayed out]
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Color space: Normal
W/B high R: -2
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: 0
W/B low R: 0
W/B low G: -7
W/B low B: -2

W/B detail adjustment menu:
[listed as Red, Green and Blue gain, respectively]
100 IRE: -2, 0, -2
90 IRE: -3, 0, +1
80 IRE: 0, +1, -1
70 IRE: 0, 0, 0
60 IRE: 0, 0, +2
50 IRE: +2, +3, +1
40 IRE: 0, 0, -1
30 IRE: +1, -1, 0
20 IRE: +3, -1, +2
10 IRE: -2, -1, +1

Red hue: 0
Green hue: +6
Blue hue: 0
Red Saturation: -8
Green Saturation: -6
Blue Saturation: 0

Color detail adjustment menu:
Yellow hue: 0
Cyan hue: 0
Magenta hue: 0
Yellow saturation: -2
Cyan saturation: 0
Magenta saturation: 0
Red luminance: 0
Green luminance: 0
Blue luminance: 0
Yellow luminance: 0
Cyan luminance: 0
Magenta luminance: 0

Black extension: 0
Gamma adjustment: 2.4
Panel brightness: Mid
Contour emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

Gamma detail adjustment menu:
100 IRE Gain: 0
90 IRE Gain: 0
80 IRE Gain: 0
70 IRE Gain: 0
60 IRE Gain: 0
50 IRE Gain: +4
40 IRE Gain: 0
30 IRE Gain: 0
20 IRE Gain: -1
10 IRE Gain: 0

-- Aspect adjustments submenu
Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 2
H size: [grayed out]
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-- HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD [grayed out]
Block NR: Off [grayed out]
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion smoother: Off
1080p pure direct: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: On [often grayed out depending on source]
24p Direct in: 60Hz [96Hz with 1080p/24 sources]

Note: This post was edited by its original author Added link to calibration report on 06/04/2012 at 7:12 AM PT

Note: This post was edited by its original author Added note regarding hours aged. on 06/04/2012 at 11:23 AM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TC-P65VT50 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TC-P65VT50 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Game Settings on this VT50
by Wescyde / June 21, 2012 9:31 AM PDT

I am an avid gamer and really only play a couple PS3 games a lot(Battlefield 3), I was wondering if you would reccommend any certain settings under the game mode on the VT50. Thanks

Collapse -
Gaming settings
by Diego2thebay / September 20, 2012 12:20 PM PDT

I would stay away from Game mode. In my experience with Panasonic plasmas Game mode is not too far off Vivid or "Torch mode". Meaning the set will be drawing far more energy than it needs to but more importantly it will be outputting more heat directly affecting the lifespan of the television. Ideally if your set is calibrated correctly you shouldn't have to change mode. Most people will default to either game mode or Dynamic when playing video games for that added color pop but keep in mind as these games evolve most studios and game directors are now going for either a photo realistic or cinematic look. You lose these effects when forcing the set to output added information or color. Try the Custom settings posted up top first. I've see video games on this set calibrated and they're stunning. Best of luck.

Collapse -
please help
by mrsmitty911 / October 28, 2012 4:56 AM PDT

Hi i have a panasonic p65vt50 an i am jut wondering how you set up a ps3 or xbox on it cause i am having lots of trouble. Maybe send me a pic of how its set up thanks.

Collapse -
VT50 pro settings missing
by JTRFLASH / September 23, 2012 1:56 AM PDT

Hello, I just picked up my VT50 and was tryng the custom setup, however some the parameters ar missing, i.e. all of the "IRE" settings, all I ahve is rd, green blue plus or minus settings. Also 1080p is greyed out s well as 3:2 pulldown. Has Pnasonic reovd hese adjustment parameters? Jim

Collapse -
Good work
by Kuhnt / December 6, 2012 2:50 PM PST

Thank you. After applying your parameters, I feel the performance of the TV improved much.

Collapse -
trouble with blending blacks
by gsmith1000 / December 18, 2012 6:37 AM PST

I actually have a VT30, but i was hoping you could help. i have tried applying the VT30 settings, but i may be missing something. In a dark seen where there is a focal point in the foreground and the background consists of a gradient of greys centrally turning to deep blacks peripherally, the gradient looks block-like. it isn't smooth. it almost looks like a large pixelation. An example would be an outdoor sceen at night with fog. not sure if this is what you call floating blacks, but it doesn't look good. If the motion/camera is still, it may not be that bad, but when the camera pans it looks worse. is this due to a poor signal? what can i do? Thanks.

Collapse -
Custom picture settings for VT50
by Bill33525 / December 19, 2012 10:04 PM PST

I applied most of the setting except the gamma and color corrections which are probably specific to each panel. The picture looks great on good source material; too bad much of the today's feeds are so bad.

Collapse -
(NT) thanks! mine looks so much better!!
by markartis / December 31, 2012 8:33 AM PST
Collapse -
Burn-in disc?
by muelgrub / January 8, 2013 12:26 AM PST

I just ordered this Panny in large part based upon your review. This is
my first experience with Plasma coming from a Samsung LCD. I was
wondering if I need some sort of burn in disc as I have seen mention of
that on the net.If so, what should or could I use and how is the burn in actually run?thanks!

Collapse -
3d settings the same?
by dugsnfl / February 2, 2013 6:33 AM PST

Should picture settings be the same in 3d as 2d? Also I read switching advanced 3d picture from 60htz eliminates some crosstalk. How is that done on mine 60htz is greyed out on all profiles?

Collapse -
Same settings for 55 inch?
by rex7471094 / February 27, 2013 1:54 PM PST

Do these settings apply to the 55 inch model as well?

Collapse -
These pictures settings truly worth the time spent !
by frmorel / May 5, 2013 3:03 AM PDT

Thanks David !

I did apply all your settings to create my Custom picture setup on my Panasonic TC-P55VT50 and now only uses this single setting for all watching except 3D !
The picture looks great in pretty much all programming and lighting environments (whether day light or night).

Thanks again, this is great !

Collapse -
These pictures settings truly worth the time spent !
by hotvote / August 19, 2013 6:42 AM PDT

how to access these settings? my vt50 is not showing custom mode.
pls help me regarding how to input a/m values in custom mode?

Collapse -
Best game settings for video games
by Anonomous_1_7 / May 7, 2013 10:55 AM PDT

I purchased the p65-vt50, came from a Samsung LED 240 HZ tv(UN46B8000). I LOVED the game mode on the Samsung and want to calibrate my 'game mode' on my VT50 but can't get it right. Colors either look too washed out and blurry during fast moving scenes. Any suggestions? I like a bright picture when playing video games and just can't get it right. Help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.