HDTV Picture Setting forum

Tip

Panasonic TC-P55ST60 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / April 12, 2013 3:01 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-pst60-series/4505-6482_7-35567256.html

Related products:
TC-P50ST60
TC-P60ST60
TC-P65ST60

Calibration report using these settings:
TK

TV software/firmware version tested: 2.684

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Panasonic TC-P55ST60 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: Prior to calibration the ST60's Cinema setting came closest to the ideal, though its grayscale was relatively greenish-blue and is color likewise mediocre, with de-saturated and otherwise errant primary colors. Thanks to Panasonic's extensive controls I was able to mostly fix those issues resulting in error levels below the normal threshold of perception. It wasn't all smooth sailing though.

The color management system worked well to home in on the HD standard color points, resulting in excellent measurements for everything but Blue, which still showed a modest error.

On the other hand, the ST60's multipoint grayscale and gamma control didn't work as well as most such systems I've tested. At 40 IRE and below, where gamma was most problematic, the controls did little to improve matters even when I resorted to extreme settings. I ended up rounding off to the most-effective large number in most cases. The ten-point grayscale was quite coarse at most levels; in one memorable instance, going just one pip in Blue gain at 40 IRE caused it to swing wildly between slightly plus and extremely minus blue. The 40 level also showed significant variation depending on whether I measured a run (when generating a report for example) or focused on that single IRE point (during adjustments for calibration). There was also a good deal of variation from one measurement to the next at 90 and 100.

The menu system is also annoying for calibrators. It times out too quickly, jumping up to obscure the measurement area, and navigating from selection to selection requires jumping up a menu level instead of begin able to do it directly.

My TC-P55ST60 sample was aged 150 hours before calibration and review, but there's no reason you need to similarly break it in before you apply the settings below.

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Cinema
Contrast: 81
Brightness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Vivid Color: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Panel brightness: Low
AGC: 0
Black extension: 0
Color Gamut: Normal

W/B detail adjustment menu:
W/B high R: 6
W/B high G: -1
W/B high B: 1
W/B low R: 1
W/B low G: -1
W/B low B: 0

More detail adjustment menu:
[listed as Red, Green and Blue gain, respectively]
100 IRE: -4, 0, 3
90 IRE: -1, 1, 2
80 IRE: 0, 0, 0
70 IRE: 0, 0, 0
60 IRE: 0, 0, 0
50 IRE: 0, 0, 0
40 IRE: -3, -4, -1
30 IRE: 0, 0, 0
20 IRE: 3, -4, 0
10 IRE: -10, -10, 10

Color detail adjustment menu:
Red hue: -8
Red Saturation: 4
Red luminance: -3
Green hue: 3
Green Saturation: 12
Green luminance: 10
Blue hue: 10
Blue Saturation: 10
Blue luminance: -10

Gamma detail adjustment menu:
Gamma: 2.2

More detail adjustment menu:
100 IRE: 0
90 IRE: 2
80 IRE: 0
70 IRE: 0
60 IRE: 0
50 IRE: -6
40 IRE: -10
30 IRE: -20
20 IRE: -20
10 IRE: -10

--Advanced picture submenu
Game mode: Off
24p Direct in: 60Hz
3:2 pulldown: Auto [often grayed out depending on source]
1080p pixel direct: Off [often grayed out depending on source]
HDMI content type: [all Off]
HDMI/DVI RGB range: [all Standard (16-235)]
Black level: Light

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TC-P55ST60 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TC-P55ST60 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What are the results?
by RobbieG. / May 12, 2013 5:47 AM PDT

How do I interpret this information?

Collapse -
50" ST60???
by springerspaniels / May 5, 2013 10:41 AM PDT

Do these settings apply to the 50" ST60 as well as the 55"? What ambient foot candle reading do you consider dimly lit to be? My room is 14'x16' covered with dark cedar boards walls and ceiling. The TV is centered on one of the 16' wallsThe 14' wall to the right of the TV has 3 large windows. Seating is along the opposite 16' wall. At it's brightest I get a reading of 40 foot candle in the room. Is this room too bright for a plasma TV

Collapse -
3d calibration
by Astrosausage / May 21, 2013 3:49 AM PDT

Does anybody have a link to 3d calibration settings for the ST60? Or at least suggestion of some basic adjustments I can make until somebody publishes 3d calibration settings for this model?

Thanks!

Collapse -
What about these settings?
by RobbieG. / June 12, 2013 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: 3d calibration

Wouldn't these settings be appropriate for 3D as well? At least a good starting point?

Collapse -
The software update would be a good start for 3D
by satfrat / August 1, 2013 2:47 PM PDT

Yesterday, I read on the AVS Forum of an updated software version download upgrade that is said to help the 3D picture, Version 2.712. Your Panny needs to be connected to the internet in order to recieve the 10 minute download. Go to Menu/Network/Software update to get this latest version that is said to help 3D picture issues.

I've been so taken back from these CNET Cinema picture settings and D-Nice's Custom picture settings that I haven't even gotten around to 3D but I did take the 10 minutes to get the 2.712 Version and I think I'll routinely check the Menu/Network/Software update each week, so to make sure I'm not missing out on the latest Panny software version updates. It's the smart thing to do for your Panny.

Collapse -
2.712 update
by fubar1201 / August 3, 2013 12:27 PM PDT

In reference to the update 2.712:
What does Panasonic say exactly what this update is suppose to do. I can not find any information regarding this update from the Panasonic site even though I did the update on my 50" st60. If anyone has that info when you have the time could you kindly link me up to that information or where ever you got the information regarding this update?

Collapse -
2.712 update
by satfrat / August 3, 2013 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: 2.712 update
Collapse -
by fubar1201 / August 4, 2013 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: 2.712 update

When you say take it off "0" What are you referring to? Take what off "0" ?

Collapse -
by satfrat / August 4, 2013 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: 2.712

Can't give you an answer, what I had there was a quote"" from that thread link,, not my words. Fact is I haven't even checked out the 3D yet myself so I know little about the 3D menu but from just taking a quick look at the menu from using 2D to 3D, I'm betting it involves the 3D Settings/3D Adjustment. You would need to actually be on a 3D source in order to see the 3D Adjustment so I can't actually see the 3D Adjustment.

Sorry I can't be more help, other than providing the firmware update.

Collapse -
3D Settings ?
by bigpygme / May 27, 2013 6:30 AM PDT

Great Q, Astrosausage. thanks for asking it - i'd like to know too !

Michael

Collapse -
Brightness Settings Too Low
by atx389 / July 23, 2013 11:15 AM PDT

I've researched the best calibration settings for the st60 and all of them indicate that brightness should be at or near zero.

My problem with that is you lose lots of detail in the dark scenes. Using a popular movie example, take Voldemort's attack on Hogwarts. If you increase the brightness to around 20 or 25, you can see the outline of the castle. At zero, all you see is the light behind the castle windows. Everything else is just about pitch black.

I first suspected that videophile settings, at least for brightness, were suspect when I saw an episode of the tv show Hannibal on my old 2007 Bravia LCD, that was set to expert-recommended settings. There was a dark scene where a demon should have appeared in the darkness, but my Bravia did not pick it up. The ST60 picked it up on default settings, before I calibrated.

Since then, I have been paying much greater attention to how not jacking up the brightness results in loss of detail.

Am I the only one that is noticing this? I've scoured the web and I seem to be the only person with issues with experts and their take on brightness settings.

thanks.

Collapse -
Brightness Settings Too Low - Update
by atx389 / August 3, 2013 9:51 AM PDT

I've continued to look at different setting options and I found that switching "HDMI/DVI RGB range" to full or auto appears to bring back the details in dark scenes without the need to jack up the brightness beyond 0.

Things are looking good so far, at least with an HDMI connection to Uverse. If you're having issues similar to mine, you may want to play around with this setting on various input sources.

Collapse -
Warning - these settings apply to ONE sample of a 55" set
by daarrid / August 3, 2013 10:57 PM PDT

I just applied all of the above settings to a 65" ST60 for a friend. Thankfully I brought along a calibration disc.

On a 65" set many of these settings do NOT work. I saw a massive red hue emphasis on all low level whites. Once I zeroed out the W/B detail adjustments and all the Color detail adjustments I had a decent picture again.

CNET - in the past - used to note what settings would likely transfer easily to any model of the TV under test and those that were mspeculativetive.

I'd suggest most customers only use the settings listed under the Picture menu and Advanced pisub-menuubmenu

Collapse -
Warning - these settings apply to ONE sample of a 55" set
by PhilVABeach / October 31, 2013 1:57 AM PDT

@daarrid
So very true I own the 60" version.
These setting are fantastic but noticed full black screens exhibited red tint so I went into (W/B detail adjustment menu:) changing (W/B low R) level from 1 to 0.
The change has been a positive one eliminating red tint , black is now deep

Collapse -
Saving As Preset
by mschneidernyc / November 17, 2013 7:49 AM PST

hello -

Thank you for posting these calibration numbers. Extremely helpful!

I just purchased the TC-P50ST60 display: calibration numbers all look great.

Is there a way to save these settings as a 'pre-set?' I.e. if one should upgrade firmware and need to re-apply the settings, or if the display should loose its settings for no apparent reason, it would be good to recall those settings with one proverbial push of the button...

We use the TH-50BT300U pro plasma display at our post facility here in NY and we are able to save our calibration as a pre-set on the display. I'll do the obvious Googling for this but thought I would ask here as well.

Many thanks!

Collapse -
3D Settings?
by tele1962 / February 7, 2014 8:42 PM PST

Hi David, did you calibrate 3D on this model. If so can you let me know your settings.

Cheers.

Collapse -
Pixel orbiter
by Rngerick / February 25, 2014 11:25 AM PST

St55st60 orbiter off or auto. New set some judder? How do you get to greyed areas?
Thanks. RD

Collapse -
Burn in Required
by videobymadfan / May 31, 2014 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Pixel orbiter

After about about 600 hours my ST60 died while playing. Panny hooked me up with a local repair shop and he replaced the main board and I am back to viewing. My question is ...do I need to burn in again??

thanks to anyone who knows!!

Collapse -
Cinema vs. Custom
by dr_ge / June 21, 2014 3:38 AM PDT

Hi David,

Can I adjust these same values on the Custom mode instead of the Cinema mode? Is there a reason why you used the Cinema mode instead of the Custom mode? Thank you.

Collapse -
Settings are HORRIBLE for Sports. Works amazing otherwise
by brandone24 / February 5, 2015 6:37 AM PST

Anyone else have this issue? Is there an easy way to toggle back and forth as sports look terrible like this and takes a long time to set it up so certainly can't go back and forth easily.

Collapse -
using two setting
by videophilewannabe / February 26, 2015 3:17 AM PST

I tend to use slightly modified Cnet settings for darker movies (Aliens) and D-Nice settings for everything else. CNet's settings are too green especially so when watching golf. just my opinion. it is a few clicks of the menu, picture settings, custom and opt out to change over. not ideal but hardly a long time.
Chris

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.