HDTV Picture Setting

Tip

Panasonic TC-P55GT50 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / June 20, 2012 1:21 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p55gt50/4505-6482_7-35123235.html

Related products:
Panasonic TC-P50GT50
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Panasonic TC-P65GT50

Calibration report using these settings:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/97681943

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Panasonic TC-P55GT50 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: Prior to calibration the THX Cinema mode's default settings were best for our room, although it was quite dim at just 28 fL. I was able to increase that mode's light output to my standard 40 fL, but lack of control in THX prevented me from addressing its other major issue, a plus-green, minus-red grayscale.

For that reason I turned to Custom for my calibration and evaluation, and the picture afterward was better than THX. The grayscale was much better and gamma and color were comparable--good to excellent overall. I did see a gamma spike at 50 fL, and that light level (along with 40 to a lesser extent) varied significantly from measurement to measurement. That issue has been common to all Panasonic plasmas I've calibrated this year, and indeed to the Samsung PNE8000 too.

As with the ST50, I was pleased to see that primary color luminance and secondary hue were very good, without any of the color imbalances that plagued previous Panasonic plasma Custom modes. My Custom calibration results for the ST50 and GT50 are nearly identical.

My TC-P55GT50 review sample was aged 100 hours before calibration, measurement and review.

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: +76
Brightness: +59
Color: +45
Tint: +1
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Color mgmt: Off [grayed out]
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Color space: Normal
W/B high R: +8
W/B high G: +2
W/B high B: +1
W/B low R: +2
W/B low G: -3
W/B low B: +2
Black extension: 0
Gamma adjustment: 2.6
Panel brightness: Mid
Contour emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

-- Aspect adjustments submenu
Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 2
H size: [grayed out]
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-- HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD [grayed out]
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion smoother: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 60Hz

For comparison purposes I'm also including my THX Cinema settings, which are very close to default aside from the Contrast bump to bring up light output. Comparing the two, the greenish cast of THX is evident and makes for an inferior picture.

Picture mode: THX Cinema
Contrast: +80
Brightness: +50
Color: +45
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Color mgmt: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
Pro settings: [grayed out]

--Aspect adjustments:
Screen format: FULL
HD Size: Size 2
[others grayed out]

--PC adjustments: Grayed out

--HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture:
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD [grayed out]
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion smoother: Off [grayed out]
1080p Pure Direct: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: TK
24p Direct in: 60Hz

Note: This post was edited by its original author added link to calibration results on 06/20/2012 at 8:27 AM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TC-P55GT50 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TC-P55GT50 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks!
by slick1ru2009 / October 27, 2012 9:36 PM PDT

I do have to ask a couple of questions. How about adjustments to the base custom settings for bright room and 3D? Unfortunately the TV has only 1 custom setting but there are more than 1 viewing environments, types of content.

And motion smoother, which you have set to off, is that the refresh rate? Isn't there some instances, like watching live football in 1080i, where you'd want to turn it on. I was skeptical when I read about 120hz when it came out, but then I saw some demonstrations and the difference was clear.

Thanks again David, for these great settings.

Collapse -
Scratch The Part About Motion Smoother
by slick1ru2009 / October 27, 2012 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

This is my first plasma. I had LCD's before which motion smoothing from increased refresh rates help. I just read the article on refresh rates and how plasmas's don't need it. Thanks.

Collapse -
How about video settings in 3D mode?
by goofynick6 / November 30, 2012 4:42 AM PST

Mr Katzmaier,

I appreciate your publication of settings, I have just put them on my new 55GT50. I was curious, however, about the 3D settings. When you set the TV to 3D, the video adjustment settings all go to a default setting and these seem very generic, even in the THX modes. Any input on this? Should I use the same settings used for 2D viewing? Or will the 3D require special adjustments?

Thank you,

Nicolas

Collapse -
These settings before or after calibration?
by Bakesaleee / December 6, 2012 2:02 AM PST

Are these settings before or after calibration? I'm looking for some settings, but have not, nor will I be having the 60GT50 professionally calibrated.

Collapse -
settings for panasonic 55gt50
by tbell4 / January 12, 2013 10:31 AM PST

when trying to use cnet settings on 55gt50 the 3:2 pulldown is grayed out in custom and thx cinema settings, why is this or what did i do wrong

Collapse -
Sports Setting
by rks6465 / January 30, 2013 10:02 PM PST

I think the settings are great for movies, tv, etc. but seem a little to dark for sporting events especially hockey. Any suggestions on picture settings for sports?

Thanks

Collapse -
Aging? Pro calibration? Pro Settings?
by Mdaily90 / April 18, 2013 7:34 AM PDT

Is it necessary to age 100-200 hours before adjusting settings?

What does aging it do?

What is the difference between applying these settings and having the TV professionally calibrated?

How do I unlock the Pro Settings on my GT50?

Thanks! Out of the box I am loving this thing!! Stunning picture!

Collapse -
aging
by slick1ru2009 / April 18, 2013 10:52 AM PDT

In plasma, the phosphors change characteristics during the first 100-200 hours. Probably most importantly though is that during this time period the screen seems to be more susceptible to image retention. So some like running slides during this time period because they don't have to worry about watching channels like CNN or the NFL network and it causing IR that lasts a long time. BTW, my TV has lots of hours on it, and still has IR. I have IR now from watching CNN. You can minimize or avoid it with zooming. IR is not burn in, which is permanent. IR goes away eventually and isn't seen unless you run the wipe or the area where the IR has occurred is in a very light or white part of the picture. I play video games and use my GT50 for monitor for my laptop. I just change the settings so that IR is less likely, putting the Contrast to 60 and Brightness to 50.

The Pro Settings should be unlocked under Custom. BTW, the picture settings are unique to every input. You can find a wealth of custom settings on the AVS Forums.

Collapse -
How much contrast/brightness is to much?
by Mdaily90 / April 18, 2013 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: aging

Okay so what I am hearing is the reason people recommend not cranking up the Contrast and Brightness is not because it will damage a pixel or fry something but because it makes IR more likely. I Got my TV yesterday and have about 3 hours on it now and have had no problems with IR I will continue to be carful of that though.

What would be the recommended contrast and brightness settings? 60/50?

Collapse -
Panel Brightness
by MegaSquishyMan / August 19, 2013 12:13 PM PDT

Looking at my P50GT50 I have concluded that "panel brightness" is a form of dynamic contrast enhancement. I think CNET has configured their tv with this on. Turning the setting to "low" seems to deactivate this enhancement. Can anyone confirm this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.