HDTV Picture Setting forum

Tip

Panasonic TC-P50UT50 picture settings

by tpendlebury CNET staff/forum admin / May 2, 2012 8:04 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p50ut50/4505-6482_7-35153392.html

Related products:
Panasonic TC-P42UT50 [discontinued]
Panasonic TC-P50UT50
Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Panasonic TC-P60UT50

Calibration report using these settings:
http://scr.bi/MMCsKq

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Panasonic TC-P50UT50 in a dim room via the HDMI input with a 1080p/24 source. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: As with last year's ST30 we performed a full calibration in Custom mode to discover that the colors were too inaccurate to continue. As a result we reverted to default Cinema mode with only small adjustments to Contrast and Brightness. While we found this mode sacrifices fidelity on high whites for light levels with lots of crushing though we weren't able to detect any detrimental effect on program material. The output level didn't quite meet 40foot-Lamberts and we expect the larger models to be even dimmer.

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Cinema
Contrast: +100
Brightness: +50
Color: +50
Tint:0
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Color mgmt: Off [grayed out]
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off

-- Aspect adjustments submenu
Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 2
H size: [grayed out]
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-- HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD [grayed out]
Block NR: Off [grayed out]
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion smoother: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 60Hz

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator corrected review link, noted discontinued 42-inch size, added link to calibration report on 08/22/2012 at 7:33 AM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TC-P50UT50 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TC-P50UT50 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
3:2 Pulldown Setting
by everetted / June 13, 2012 1:13 PM PDT

Thanks for the picture settings and the review. I love my TV so far. For some reason, the 3:2 pulldown feature is grayed out on my TV. Is that supposed to be?

Collapse -
Contrast?
by 9stooges / June 18, 2012 2:49 AM PDT

Really? 100? Contrast all the way up?

Collapse -
I tried these settings and ....
by 9stooges / June 28, 2012 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Contrast?

my P50UT50 looked horrible. Much better settings available at the avs forum site.

Collapse -
Panasonic TC-P50UT50 picture settings
by abdursheikh81 / January 9, 2013 6:27 AM PST

I cant find the settings on my tv. Am I missing something to do before I get to these settings. Please advise as there is too much jitter on my P50UT50. Picture quality is absolutely beautiful but I am getting jitter like and LED tv. I dot have that on my very cheap samsung Plasma.

Collapse -
the jidders
by dladladla / October 17, 2013 11:07 PM PDT

I just bought a 50 "ut50 from Sears from the floor. IGot it home yesterday and has a great picture but has the jidders really bad on especially on espn. It happens a lot. I have a Pioneer in the living room and compare the programs. As an example the Red Wings gam stops and start. Same with some info comercials etc. Lots of pixilating and deterioration of the picture. At first I thought it was the feed but it the other tv plays perfectly. Is this problem inherent in this TV? Is it fixable???

Collapse -
Similar model at Sam's Club
by chasemillard / February 4, 2013 11:30 PM PST

There is a Panasonic TV at Sam's Club with a model number of TC-60PU54. It's not 3D and it's not a smart TV and I cannot find anything anywhere on CNET about it. I'm assuming that it is a custom model made for stores like Sam's and Costco by Panasonic. As far as I can tell, the specs are similar to the UT50 (with the obvious exceptions being no 3D and smart functions), but I was wondering if you guys know about this model and if the picture quality is equal to the UT50. Any insight into this is appreciated. For anyone out there who's interested, this TV is 60" and is a steal at $798.

Collapse -
yes it is
by zapfrog / March 5, 2013 3:31 AM PST

Yes it indeed is the same model as the P60U50, in fact you can get the U54 straight from Panasonics website on sale.

Collapse -
Thanks
by chasemillard / March 5, 2013 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: yes it is

Thank you!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.