HDTV Picture Setting forum

Tip

Panasonic TC-P50U50 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / August 23, 2012 1:41 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p50u50/4505-6482_7-35149658.html

Calibration report using these settings:
http://scr.bi/Nj6LKj

TV software/firmware version tested: 1030-1030 (Status1: 01000-30008; Status2: 00000-00000)

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Panasonic TC-P50U50 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: As usual with lower-end Panasonic sets, the Custom picture mode was much less accurate both before and after calibration. With program material Custom demonstrated significant red push and oversaturation, as well as too-light gamma. The one advantage of Custom over Cinema was superior light output; Cinema maxed out at 33 Fl (and clipped white a bit more), while Custom was able to hit my target of 40, if just barely.

Cinema was superior so I used it in my review and calibration. Its grayscale was relatively red, however, and gamma slightly too bright--both issues I couldn't address since the available controls were negligible. Due to my tweaking the color and brightness controls, the post-calibration grayscale actually measured slightly worse than the pre-calibration version, but the difference would be tough for the human eye to discern.

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Cinema
Contrast: +100
Brightness: +56
Color: +45
Tint: +1
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Color mgmt: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off

-- Aspect adjustments submenu
Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 2
H size: [grayed out]
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-- HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD [grayed out]
Block NR: Off [grayed out]
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion smoother: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 60Hz

Since the controls were minimal and calibration was easy, I calibrated both Custom and Cinema so I could compare them directly. Cinema is the most accurate, but users may also want to see what the brighter Custom looks like. If nothing else, its interesting how different two sets of nearly identical numbers can look.

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: +96
Brightness: +59
Color: +45
Tint: +1
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Color mgmt: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off

-- Aspect adjustments submenu
Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 2
H size: [grayed out]
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-- HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD [grayed out]
Block NR: Off [grayed out]
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion smoother: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 60Hz

Note: This post was edited by its original author added link to calibration report on 08/23/2012 at 8:47 AM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TC-P50U50 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TC-P50U50 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Contrast at 100% and CATS turned off?
by Poppypbr / November 26, 2012 3:11 AM PST

Contrast is WHITE LEVEL, not picture contrast. Curious as to why anyone would calibrate a TV without first setting all controls in the middle of their range of operation. When C.A.T.S. is turned on, the sensor reads ambient light and the TV adjusts itself for the appropriate level of illumination consistent with the environment within which the TV is being watched. Pretty hard to do that if the WHITE LEVEL is already set to the maximum. I guess Panasonic added C.A.T.S. because it was a totally useless feature and they had a shipment of sensors.

Running Contrast at or close to 100 will enhance any tendency to burn in an image, use a lot more electricity, shorten the lifespan of the circuits, unnecessarily stimulate the phosphors thereby shortening their useful life and causing the TV to "dim" prematurely, if it happens to make it to a decade with some voltage circuits set at the maximum.

Why is contrast set at 100 on Cinema, Custom and Vivid modes? For electronic testing at maximum voltages and because retailers like to display overly bright TV's in their overly bright stores. Why is contrast set at 50 on Standard mode? Because that is where the home user should be and contrast to 50 is the final operation after all inspection is complete and the TV is to get boxed. The packing department checks for that 50 setting before they box the TV. That way they don't ship any duds or any untested TV's.

Do take note that no other setting is at maximum. This one control, set at its limit, will make it past the 1 year warranty, but will result in a pretty rapid turnover of plasma televisions if left that way.

Collapse -
100 contrast concern
by Nate650 / November 28, 2012 12:37 PM PST

Yes I was concerned about the 100 contrast setting as well. I decided to just make it 90 and I may lower it to 80. David, do you have any feedback on our concern?

Collapse -
Heloo there!
by babochee / December 9, 2012 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: 100 contrast concern

If you read what katz said in his review.... In the Cinema settings the brightness maxed out at 33 FI. So having a maxed Contrast at 100 really isnt using 100% of the phosphors or circuits...Unlike in Custom where katz hit 40 FI.

Collapse -
Hi there!
by babochee / December 9, 2012 8:24 AM PST

If you read what katz said in his review.... In the Cinema settings the brightness maxed out at 33 FI. So having a maxed Contrast at 100 really isnt using 100% of the phosphors or circuits...Unlike in Custom where katz hit 40 FI.

Collapse -
why is my (HD Size) setting greyed out and my (H Size) not?
by richcrist / January 13, 2013 11:19 PM PST

I am trying to make these settings and when i get to the aspect adjustments My HD Size is greyed out and I can't change it to 2. My H Size is not greyed out and it says it should be according to the above settings list.

Collapse -
HD size setting
by geoffrey270 / March 1, 2013 7:29 AM PST

Are you using an HD source (blu ray, game console, digital cable)? I had to switch over to my blu ray player before this setting showed up correctly. Hope this helps...

Collapse -
Aspect adjusments submenu and Advanced picture submenu
by sidthekid42 / April 1, 2013 12:20 PM PDT

Hey guys. When I enter the "Picture" menu using my remote, the "Aspects adjustments" submenu is inaccessible. I mean its grey. This is the same for the other modes as well. In addition, most of the "Advanced picture" submenu can't be changed. Only two (the block NR and Mosquito NR) can be accessed.

Please help. Looked all over the internet and can't find anything on how to access these functions. What am I missing?

Thank You

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.