HDTV Picture Setting forum

Tip

Panasonic TC-P50S60 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / April 19, 2013 12:37 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p50s60/4505-6482_7-35558333.html

Related products:
Panasonic TC-P42S60
Panasonic TC-P55S60
Panasonic TC-P60S60
Panasonic TC-P65S60

Calibration report using these settings: [see post below]

TV software/firmware version tested: 2.206

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Panasonic TC-P50S60 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: The S60's most accurate preset picture mode, as expected, was Cinema, and in fact its default picture was significantly better than Cinema on the more expensive ST60. Grayscale and gamma were admirably linear and good throughout the scale. On the other hand color was only average.

As with the ST60 the CMS worked better than the grayscale controls during calibration. I was able to get half of the six colors under the delta error target of 3, and the others, driven by an errant blue, weren't too much worse.

Grayscale was a bit more problematic. As with the ST60, I experienced relatively large fluctuations from one measurement to the next. The midpoint (50 IRE) was particularly volatile; the blue spike seen in my chart could be much midler or even worse from one measurement to the next without me changing any settings. In the end I was able to slightly improve the rest of the scale, and overall it was still well within the range of Good. It's also worth nothing that I didn't miss the multipoint adjustments found on the ST60 much, since they weren't all that effective anyway.

My TC-P50S60 was aged 130 hours before calibration and review, but there's no reason you need to similarly break it in before you apply the settings below.

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Cinema
Contrast: 83
Brightness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Vivid Color: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
MPEG NR: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Panel brightness: Low
AGC: 0
Black extension: 0
Color Gamut: Normal

W/B detail adjustment menu:
W/B high R: -4
W/B high G: -2
W/B high B: 0
W/B low R: 0
W/B low G: 0
W/B low B: -6

Color detail adjustment menu:
Red hue: -1
Red Saturation: 5
Red luminance: -8
Green hue: 4
Green Saturation: -9
Green luminance: -4
Blue hue: 3
Blue Saturation: 30
Blue luminance: -10

Gamma detail adjustment menu:
Gamma: 2.2

--Advanced picture submenu
Game mode: Off
24p Direct in: 60Hz
3:2 pulldown: On [often grayed out depending on source]
1080p pixel direct: Off [often grayed out depending on source]
HDMI content type: [all Off]
HDMI/DVI RGB range: [all Standard (16-235)]
Black level: Light

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TC-P50S60 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TC-P50S60 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Advanced picture submenu

How do I get to the Advanced picture submenu on the Panasonic TC-P50S60? I cannot find it. Thanks!

Collapse -
Line bleed/Image bleed
by brockwilt / May 15, 2013 1:10 PM PDT

Mr katzmaier,

During your evaluation of the S60 series did you notice any line bleed/image bleed? I notice it every once in awhile while watching tv using dish tv as my satellite provider. I don't notice it very often during blu rays. I find this rather annoying and very distracting. It's noticible while I have the TV guide on the screen, or if there is a white object in the background and a darker object in the foreground. The lighter object will bleed through the object in the foreground. I also notice it while credits run at the end of a show. It's also noticeable with some stationary images or logos that wouldn't been part of the original recording of a show.

I was told on the avs forum that this is normal and nothing to worry about. But on my previous tv, Panasonic 50px80 from 2007 or 08, I didn't notice this at all.

Could you please explain why this is happening and if there is a way to fix this issue. I am currently using your settings and viewing my tv in a darkened room.

Overall I love this tv. It has great picture quality, and very good black levels. But I find myself looking for line/image bleeding constantly. It's taking away from my viewing pleasure.

Collapse -
I call BS
by sandbeagle / May 27, 2013 2:54 AM PDT

This is a copy&paste or something from another TV. There is no game mode on the s60 as far as i know.

Collapse -
2nd..
by blahblahblub / July 3, 2013 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I call BS

I applied above settings to TC-50PS64, which is the version of this TV they sell at Costco. (The only difference between the 2 TV's is that the PS64 version has a build in anti reflective layer). After applying the settings, my TV displayed a vertical green line. According to Panasonic, the TV needs to be repaired. I'm not sure if the settings above are the cause or I just bought a bad unit, but it happened immediately after calibration. Also, there is no Game Mode. Panasonic verified that.

Collapse -
Oh MY!
by bosundave / August 23, 2013 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: 2nd..

This thread isnt that old. I wrote an EMAIL to David Katzmaier the OP of this thread...who BTW is a SENIOR EDITOR with CNET. I think its out of line to call his post BS.

I AM concerned with what I should do with MY S64 series of 50 inch Panasonic. It is supposed to be identical)AFAIK) to the S60 series. Panasonic built thse sets specifically for Costco and Sams ONLY. They were an incredible deal since they have the ST60 series anti reflective technology(called Infinite Black) for the SAME or less price as the S60 series.

I did not see the Panasonic TC-P50S64 listed in the "Related Products" section of David's post.
Should we be using settings for 50 inch ST60 series or something unique? There are quite a few of the 64's out there with NO SUPPORT for this sort of thing(Optimum Settings).

David, I hope you read my email and or see this thread I linked to you. We S64 guys would LOVE some support and ANSWERS. Will i casue catastrophic failure by doing what the fellow who posted before me did?

Collapse -
Found That
by bosundave / August 28, 2013 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: See this link

Thanks. yes, I found that and have been very active on that thread and several other Panasonic S60 threads. The jury is still out whether the S64 needs a separate calibration from the S60's. Some think that is the case. We are waiting for feedback from a Pro who is supposed to calibrate his brothers S64.
I won the auction for my 50S64 and will get it today or tomorrow...620usd shipped. not bad! New in open box with factory film on the screen still. From a liquidator. Costco is about done with the limited run of S64 sets which have an AR "louver" coating to better display the sets in harsh warehouse lighting. The S60 screens dont have the AR louvers and are like mirrors in bright light.

Collapse -
See My FAQ and step by step
by bosundave / August 28, 2013 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Found That

Any s60 and S64 owners please know I have almost completed an FAQ and a detailed step by step post for pixel aging, and checking HOURS on your panel that will appear in the Calibrations Forum. A Pro calibrator by the name of dnice has a set of free slides available for download and then transfer to SD card or flash drive. 0-100 hours is prep aging of the pixels. Then you can use his settings or really any one else s. It depends a lot on total hours, personal preference, and variance from panel to panel which calibration works best for you. David K's numbers are linked quite often as one of the several calibrations out there for S60 sets.

I recommend the 100 hour slide prep or 150 hours of break in at reduced contrast and brightness watching normal source material as long as no logos, black bars, or PC connections are used. Then and only then you can get the full benefit of the various calibrations. I am going to load CNET's David K, Dnice, and a few others in Custom, Vivid or what ever is available. Then you can toggle between the ones you have programed in. I think that makes a lot of sense.

I do like David K's settings since he is about the only one that really addresses the red push that these panels tend to have. A lot depends on aging, believe it or not. The slides actually age the colors fast, but evenly at 100% contrast which is the opposite for aging by watching source video like satellite or Bluray or cable. Hope this is helpful.

Look for my detailed step by step and FAQs posted as a supplement to Dnices instructions which are cursory and not great for noobs. My clarification is so that almost anybody with no experience can do this. Calibration Forums by the first week in Sept. I will post a link here later.

Collapse -
Panel Brightness
by mailiang / September 27, 2013 7:11 AM PDT

Since your test showed that the panel was rather dim and washed out under bright lighting, how come you have the brightness set to low?

Collapse -
Input lag (Calibrated mode) 34.1 Good
by BreenX / October 28, 2013 4:10 AM PDT

Does this mean that as long as as the TV uses David's calibration settings, the input lag is 34.1 ms?

Or would you still need to use Game Mode to achieve 34.1 ms?

It looks like to me the TV's Game Mode setting is a non-factor, and that you should leave it off for gaming.

Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

Collapse -
"Game mode" missing?
by Pmrp12 / November 29, 2013 9:20 AM PST

I was wondering the same thing about achieving 34 ms. Just got this tv today and man is it beautiful; picture quality is superb with these settings. But I can't seem to find the "gaming mode" mentioned. Am I missing something? I have the latest software as of today...

Collapse -
game mode
by hotzdogg711 / March 28, 2014 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: "Game mode" missing?

It is basically in "Game Mode" already because of the 600hz processor that doesn't need it. You can't get a better sub-field motion rate for gaming. Most led's tvs are 60hz-120hz therefore needing a separate game mode selection.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.