TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Panasonic TC-P50GT50 or TC-P60ST60 - bright room

by curmudge1 / April 25, 2013 3:45 AM PDT

I thought I decided on the GT50 series after reading this post last year:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p60gt50/4864-6482_7-35123236-1.html

but after reading the review of the ST60 this year, I am confused.

Whatever TV I get has to sit on a stand, with a big window behind it, so the room is bright in daytime if the curtains are open. The THX Bright setting on the GT50 looked like just the ticket. Now the review of the ST60 says it has a filter for bright rooms. Does the GT50 have an anti-reflective filter? As good as the ST60? Looks Panansonic is not continuing the GT series into this new model year.

I'm worried that the new ST60 series has a better display than last year's GT50, and I'll miss out. I'm set on 50", so no VT60 series, as there doesn't seem to be a 50".

I'm perfectly happy to buy last year's model (GT50) if the picture is as good as the ST60. Paralyzed by indecision now, please help! Wink Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TC-P50GT50 or TC-P60ST60 - bright room
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TC-P50GT50 or TC-P60ST60 - bright room
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Frankly?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 3:54 AM PDT

Most sales folk run away from folk that need to overpower the Sun. That's a nuclear light source and the folk I talk with seem to agree that such a client is to be avoided. This may be why the sales folk are reticent to tell you if it's better or not.
Bob

Collapse -
what sales people
by FiveOhFour / May 19, 2013 3:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Frankly?

just wow. what is the purpose of you even replying to him. He's seeking advice in the proper forum and you just give smart *** replies offering solutions to problems that were never expressed, such as how to get non-existent sales people to give him the advice he never asked for and they wouldn't know the answers to if he did.

Collapse -
Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: what sales people

Because they have other discussions about this. Did you read all their posts?

It's best to be honest and forthcoming about what they were trying to overcome and if you read all their posts you see that many have tried to tell them they need to control the light in the room.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Light control is a must IME and O
by Pepe7 / April 26, 2013 12:52 AM PDT

Someone is splitting hairs by indicating that one is better in bright light vs the other. Both will still look like **** IME and O when there is especially bright light. Been there, done that (about a hundred times in different homes/spaces). Both of those plasma models are stellar performers in the PQ arena though, but both will be affected by extremely bright spaces (as will LED models)>

Do yourself a favor and use light control for proper daytime viewing.

Collapse -
Answer
Both are great, check them out.
by FiveOhFour / May 19, 2013 4:09 PM PDT

Both TV's are great, if you can, the ST60 is a better option because it does have a higher light output than the ST and GT50. Do not listen to comments about neither being an option in a well lit room from people who haven't seen them in well lit rooms either, they all three have excellent louver filters and are all the same filter on the ST50, GT50, and GT60 Its less about the amount of light than it is about the angle. If your TV will be against the same wall the windows are on, thats an ideal situation because the biggest issue is when light hits the TV from a particular direct angle causing the colors to wash out a bit, i have my GT50 in the living room in New Orleans with direct sunlight year roung coming in two floor to ceiling old school windows that arent filtering any light at all and thin white silk curtains that are again not at all efective at eliminating light and are strictly there for privacy. The tv looks excellent at all times of the day even when light is hitting the screen at certain hours because its never coming from whatever angle it is that causes an issue. In fact, the Samsung UN55ES7100, a top of the line LED backlit LCD TV from their 2012 lineup that i just bought in the 55' size for another room and follows the increasing trend of making LCD TV's with glossy screens to help achieve higher contrast levels than matte screens has much worse reflectivity than the the GT50. They put out plenty enough light, and the filter will take care of all but the worst lighting issues, if you are worried, i encourage you to go buy a GT50 or ST50 or ST60 from best buy and put it on one of the brighter settings and you'll see for yourself its fine or you can bring it right back.
As far as THX bright mode and ISF settings, I wouldnt worry yourself, I had similar concerns and am now looking at a ST60 as well and considering selling the gt50, its getting down to petty differences at these levels, but when making a purchase like this thats your right and its just good practice to be as informed a consumer as is reasonable. Striclty speaking in plain fact, the ST60 has better picture quality than the GT50 is capable of displaying, its not huge but its there, you would never know or be dissatisfied if you had a GT50 but if you are making a purchase and have both options available then by all means get the ST60, the only reason to get the GT50 above the ST60 would be if you are a avid gamer that needs superb response times as the ST60 has somwhere around 20ms greater response lag in game mode as compared to the ST50, to most its a non issue but to some it can be worth sacrificing the extra picture quality.

Collapse -
It all depends on what expectations you have
by Pepe7 / May 20, 2013 3:53 PM PDT

If someone is ignorant to what happens to detail on HDTVs which could otherwise be easily and properly enjoyed in a darker room w/o such bright light, then I would keep splitting hairs about which model does better in bright spaces. [The word 'bright' should probably be measured in some way to provide proper context for all.] FWIW though, I've put in enough HDTVs by now to know that buyer's remorse is often attributed incorrectly to the HDTV brand or model rather than the space the customer chose to use for their primary viewing.

cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.