HDTV Picture Setting

Tip

Panasonic TC-P50GT30 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / April 18, 2011 6:19 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p50gt30/4505-6482_7-34468656.html

Related products:
Panasonic TC-P55GT30
Panasonic TC-P60GT30
Panasonic TC-P65GT30

Calibration report using these settings:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/53260872/Panasonic-TC-P50GT30-CNET-review-calibration-results

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Panasonic TC-P50GT30 in a dim room via the HDMI input at 1080p/24 resolution. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Picture mode: THX
Contrast: +75
Brightness: +54
Color: +52
Tint: -2
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Photo enhancement: [grayed out]
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
Pro settings: [grayed out]
Aspect adjustments:
Screen format: FULL
HD Size: Size 2
[others grayed out]
PC adjustments: Grayed out

Aspect adjustments: [no change from default]
HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD [grayed out]
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion smoother: [grayed out]
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 60Hz

As we mentioned in the review text, we also attempted a calibration via Custom mode. The results were worse than the THX settings above, but we're including them below in case readers would like to see the difference.

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: +70
Brightness: +58
Color: +32
Tint: -3
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Color mgmt: Off
Photo enhancement: [grayed out]
x.v. Color: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Color space: Normal
W/B high R: -49
W/B high G: -40
W/B high B: -25
W/B low R: +1
W/B low G: -2
W/B low B: -3
Black extension: 0
Gamma adjustment: 2.4
Panel brightness: Mid
Contour emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

-- Aspect adjustments submenu
Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 2
H size: [grayed out]
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-- HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD [grayed out]
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion smoother: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 60Hz

Note: This post was edited by its original author. [added link to Calibration report PDF] on 04/19/2011 on 5:25 AM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TC-P50GT30 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TC-P50GT30 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Question(s)
by Didoff / April 19, 2011 3:27 AM PDT

Hello Mr. katzmaier!

First and foremost, thank you for posting these settings. Secondly, I'm a big fan or your reviews, how-to's and other informative HDTV videos and postings. Because of you, my understanding has improved 10-fold, so thank you.

With that said, you may be able to see this is my 1st ever forums post, if this is in the wrong are, my apologies.

I missed the big VT25 push and am prepared for my ST/GT/VT30 purchase. Since I want the 65" size, VT30; a bit of research tells me at over $4k, I won't do it.

This leaves ST/GT.. per your postings and research, seems the main difference is PC connection, THX and 1080p/24. You referenced 2 of these items on the 50" model, I'm hoping the same remains true for the 65".???

As of today, in my area, Best Buy has the ST30 60" for $2400 in stock. And I believe they are taking orders for delivery in my area (May 12th) on these models: TC-P65VT30 ($4300) / TC-P60GT30 ($2800) / TC-P65GT30 ($3600).

If I were interested in the 60", I can see going from 2400 (ST) to 2800 (GT), not to bad. Since the 65" GT30 is 3600... an assumption could be 3200 for the ST30 65".

I dont think anything well help me truly decide except for your review. There's a link you provided which basically goes to the CES videos on these plasmas.. I'm was hoping to get an Easter deal this weekend ... any idea when the video will be released? I'm assuming the report is ready as the FAQ indicates you only post settings for items you've reviewed.

Hopefully, I didnt kill you with much of what you already know. Thanks for everything ... I appreciate your time...

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Didoff / April 19, 2011 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Question(s)

Thanks.. next morning the review is posted... going to give it my full attention!!!

Collapse -
Sony tv Settings
by ANTHONY ARMSTRONG JONES / April 21, 2011 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Question(s)

I found that this is a good way of helping people to be able to get as much info for there tv picture settings.
Would any be able to help me with the picture settings for Sony LCD Projection TV,Model # KDF-50E3000
Mfg Date 2007
Thanks again

Collapse -
Just bought the GT30
by gambino750 / July 11, 2011 4:05 AM PDT

So just to make sure I understand your review, So based off of what your saying about the GT30's Custom mode, its not really worth having the TV calibrated and the THX mode would be good enough?

Collapse -
Picture Mode: Custom
by iamphatboy / January 22, 2012 3:11 AM PST

I am a certified calibrator and here are some settings which worked really well in my clients house.

Contrast: 84
Brightness: 54
Sharpness: 32
Color: 47
Color Temp: Warm2
Panel Light: Mid

GAMMA: 2.2

WB HIGH
R: -3
G: 0
B: 2

WB LOW
R: -1
B: -2

All else off or Low

Collapse -
More Settings
by iamphatboy / January 25, 2012 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: Picture Mode: Custom

Here is another one I did today which also looked really nice

Contrast: 82
Brightness: 53
Sharpness: 5
Color: 47
Color Temp:
Panel Brightness: Mid

GAMMA: 2.2

WB HIGH
R: -9
B: 7

WB LOW
R: 4
B: -2

All Else: 0, Off or Low

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.