Deals forum

General discussion

Panasonic TC - P50G25 is it worth buying?

by klupo1100 / February 26, 2011 11:20 PM PST

I am looking to purchase the Panasonic P50G25 3D TV through Amazon for $999, is this even worth my money. Now I can bundle it up with a 3D Blu Ray player, wireless adaptor and the Avatar start up kit for around $1500. I just want to make sure before I invest in this TV.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TC - P50G25 is it worth buying?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TC - P50G25 is it worth buying?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) TC-P50G25 value?
by FreeNEasy / March 9, 2011 9:53 PM PST
Collapse -
?????
by klupo1100 / March 13, 2011 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: TC-P50G25 value?

I don't see your comments on my question about this TV?

Collapse -
Worth the price? ( TC-P50G25 ) - 2D
by FreeNEasy / March 13, 2011 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: ?????

Sorry. Premature key punch event. Anyway, the 50G25 is a STEAL @ $1050, but $500 more for the "3D experience" might be too much. Besides, only the "GT" is 3D ( the "T" denoting 3D ). I have a VT20 and absolutely LOVE the picture quality. The G and GT 25 are not quite as good, but certainly better than many others out there. As for the 3D, well maybe someday, but for now, just a gimmick to me ( IMO ). I bought my 89yo mother-in-law a 50GT25 to replace a 32". She was about 12' away from the screen and had to squint to see the postage stamp-sized screen. SHE LOVES IT!!! Especially now with the basketball tournaments on. She has only cable....no Blu-ray, or any other accesories besides a soundbar to help her hear what is being said. She LOVES it!!! In short, the 50G25 is a very good set, but not a VT20, or VT25. But then it doesn't cost $1800 either. For $1000 you just can't go wrong, but I wouldn't stretch for the 3D at this point. Also, with the Panasonic DMP-BDT100, you will need a "pass-thru" receiver to make it all work right. Newer receivers will do that, but I had to replace my Onkyo TX-SR605, with a 608 to get it right. Hope this helps...

Collapse -
Thanks
by klupo1100 / March 13, 2011 11:52 PM PDT

Yes it did help and thanks. I was actually talking to a DirecTv tech guy last night, my wifes Tivo is going a little crazy. While I was waiting for the system to reboot we talked about 3D and DirecTv. He basically told me that if things don't change by the end of the year, you will see 3D go by the way of HDDVD. He said they could have not picked a worse time to introduce this technology with the way the economy has been. But I tell people, for a few more dollars you get the add on of 3D if it ever does take off. People really don't realize that it is a really GREAT 2D TV before it is a 3D TV. I never owned a Plasma and I currently have a LG LCD which is a awesome TV. But I want to move up and I think this is the right direction (The TV itself)So I will rethink 3D for now and hopefully it does turn around.
You need a new receiver reguardless what 3D Blu Ray player you buy is that not correct?

Collapse -
Not necessarily...
by FreeNEasy / March 14, 2011 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Some of the earlier 3D Blu-ray plyrs BestB offered had not 1, but 2 HDMI ports. the one(s) w/2 ports ( 1 goes to receiver, 1 goes to TV ) did NOT require the addition of a newer receiver to "pass-thru" the signal to your set. On my older receiver ( 2007 ), I got no pic nor sound. So I ordered a "608" ( 2010 ) and it allows "pass-thru" of the signal from a Blu-ray plyr w/just 1 HDMI port. I feel there may be a shakeout in the 3D format due to the fact that Vizio has demonstrated a "no-3D glasses" ( like movie theaters ) system at CES 2011. Also, the difference between $1000 for a 50G25, and $1500 for all the 3D accessories is a 50% premium. Please keep in mind the regular "G" is NOT a 3D set. It takes a "T' in the model designation to get that feature. And SKIP the 2D-to-3D conversion feature the 50GT25 offers. It looks like quapp!

Collapse -
Thanks Again
by klupo1100 / March 14, 2011 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Not necessarily...

Thanks again, seriously, you truely answered many of my concerns with this TV.

Collapse -
$879 + FREE Shipping
by FreeNEasy / March 14, 2011 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

By-the-by, PC Richard.com has the "GT25" for less. I am waiting for my Onkyo "508" to arrive tomorrow from them. It will go in our exercise room w/our Pan 46S2. It will replace an old Pioneer receiver w/o HDMI, or ARC, or even "pass-thru".

Collapse -
Receiver
by klupo1100 / March 14, 2011 3:45 AM PDT

Yes I am looking at the Onkyo SR 308. $189.95 at Amazon.

Collapse -
TX-SR508....
by FreeNEasy / March 14, 2011 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Receiver

I got a "508" for $199.97 at the same place last week as the TV I alerted you to. It is due here tomorrow.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.