HDTV Picture Setting forum

General discussion

Panasonic TC-P42S1 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / March 11, 2009 5:18 AM PDT

Related products:
Panasonic TC-P50S1
Panasonic TC-P46S1

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Panasonic TC-P42S1 in a completely dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source. Your settings may very depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Cinema
Contrast: +55
Brightness: +63
Color: +32
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: [grayed out]
Color matrix: [grayed out]
Black level: Light
HD Size: Size 2
H size: [grayed out]

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic TC-P42S1 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic TC-P42S1 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TC-P50S1 Calibration
by KKeller1282 / September 19, 2009 10:21 PM PDT

I appreciate you listing the specs for the Panasonic TC-P50S1. They're great, the only problem I've encountered is that in the advanced settings menu, the option for "Black level" is set to dark, and it's grayed out. Is there a way that I would somehow be able to adjust this, because the TV looks great, aside from the black being slightly too dark? Thanks

Collapse -
Grayed out settings
by Voyager2K9 / November 6, 2009 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: TC-P50S1 Calibration

Did you ever figure out how to change picture settings that our currently grayed out? I've tried a bunch of things but still can't change the HD size. I actually did it once, but changed it back because I didn't know what i was doing.

Collapse -
Moire and Video/Mpeg NR
by coogrrr94 / October 7, 2009 10:16 AM PDT

The S1 did a sub-par job with moving diagonal lines and stripes on the waving American flag, leaving plenty of jaggies along the edges. Noise reduction was solid, on the other hand, and both Video NR and MPEG NR settings contributed to removing moving motes and snow from low-quality shots of skies and sunsets. Finally, the set properly engaged 2:3 pull-down to remove moir

Collapse -
Panasonic 50S1 series
by tyon82 / November 4, 2009 3:22 PM PST

when following the picture adjustments via the extremely usefull posting that addresses the do it yourself cailibration. I was unable to adjust the HD size to (2) in the advanced picture setting. Does anyone have a answer to this problem or did anyone else experience this item also being grayed out?

Collapse -
HD size setting grayed out
by Voyager2K9 / November 6, 2009 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: Panasonic 50S1 series

Did you ever get an answer to your question or figure it out? I'm having the same problem.

Collapse -
No answers
by tyon82 / November 7, 2009 9:44 PM PST

Unfortunately I have not received a response or found a solution personally. However I am not so into these setting that I haven't enjoyed my new tv. The picture is still great and the setting that I was able to change made a huge difference. PLease let me know if you find out anything.

Collapse -
My 50S1, after Service Menu calibration
by redwolf4k / November 19, 2009 8:10 AM PST

This set is a great bargain. Prices have dropped below $1000 in most retail locations.

I found your above settings to be pretty good, but "cinema" setting throws the tint off, at "0", it is corrected at +8 when using DVE Blu Ray blue filter.

I have had the chance to work with a few people who calibrate sets as a hobby, and I made the choice to go into the service menu and adjust RGB Drives and Cuts. With a bit of tweaking you can completely remove the green color temp cast out of the WARM setting. You can also get the RGB balance very close.

Of course most consumers will not do this, but it makes the set that much better. After a few RGB corrections, and a calibration with a DVE Blu Ray disc, this TV is a really great value for the current price.

Collapse -
Greenish Hue
by rjfork / November 22, 2009 11:28 AM PST

I purchased the tc-p50s1 based on my past experiences with a panasonic plasma from 3 years ago. So far I am disappointed.

CNET was right about the greenish tint. I've been to avsforum and have tried the setting from CNET and have not been happy. It is almost impossible to get rid of the greenish tint in many scenes.

I have found the following to be the best I was able to get out of the set (and its not perfect):

Picture mode: Cinema
Contrast: +76
Brightness: +47
Color: +50
Tint: -6
Sharpness: 65
Color temp: Warm

Since it is a new set and needs to be "broken in", it appears that I should wait to change the settings to vivid, which makes it brighter and sharper (but still greenish)

I see that you and several others in avsforum have made changes in the service menu. Is this something anyone can do and where would I go to track this info down.

Can panny CSR offer any help?

Thanks for any input!

Collapse -
Green is my least favorite color.
by redwolf4k / December 15, 2009 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: Greenish Hue

I too have not been able to get rid of the greenish cast to the picture. I know a few posts earlier, I stated I was able to fix it, but it really is not the case. The AVS forum has been helpful for me as well, and I have tried some grayscale offsets, but never really found anything that truely solved the problem. The grayscale offsets that did the best job, could be acceptable for some people, but in all honesty, I sort of expect this problem to not exist when I lay out hard earned money on a product that has the name Panasonic on it.

Moving tint to -6, as you did, does sort of fix the skin tones, but it throws off red and magenta. the correct tint setting I found, is actually along the lines of +3 or +4, which (get this) puts even MORE green into the picture.

Disapointed doesnt begin to describe how I feel about this set. I feel my 60u Panasonic I bought in 06 has better colors then this. Thats a big step backwards IMO.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Adding to the subject of grayscale...
by redwolf4k / December 17, 2009 1:08 AM PST

I had some time to talk to Panasonic's customer service about the green issue. I wanted to know why the color temps appeared to get greener as I moved from cool, normal, and warm. (instead on on my last two Panasonic sets, where it seemed to get more red) After being put on hold serveral times, and finally speaking to someone who knew what they were talking about when it came to the actual design of the set, I was told somthing along these lines:

The sets are designed this way to actually correct problems they had in the past where faces looked artificial from too much red. He told me the green should not look out of control, otherwise this means there is most likely another problem.

Well, in all honesty, the green isnt really out of control, its just a different look I am having trouble getting used too.

I have also heard from a few sources that the green may appear more pronounced when watching lower quality sources, such television shows, etc.

Under closer inspection, I see that shows like Leno, and Conan, as well as 1080p blu rays actually look quite good in the Warm setting, and I don't see much green at all. However, when watching many other things on cable, there is a greenish tinge at times.

It's also pretty important to note that most of the calibrations on grayscale I have seen to remove this green isssue, has resulted in less green, but in a less solid grayscale variation from black to white.

I urge anyone who thinks they are seeing too much green to watch a quality source, like a 1080p blu ray, such as The Dark Knight. It's a nice dark movie, and under the Warm setting, you really don't see any grayscale issue.

Collapse -
Panasonic TC-P42S1 Settings off of Calibration
by gedalneil / January 18, 2010 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: Greenish Hue
Collapse -
My Solution
by rjfork / January 22, 2010 6:46 AM PST

After viewing several forums, these settings were the best color combination that I was able to find and actually enjoy watching the TV. I didn't feel comfortable using the service menu. There wasn't any specific for this model that I was able to find. Anyway,, here they are:

Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: +88
Brightness: +25
Color: +50
Tint: -8
Sharpness: 50
Color temp: Normal

Collapse -
The solution to the greenish picture
by redwolf4k / March 23, 2010 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: My Solution

I have been enjoying my S1 for quite some time.

It's all thanks to this website:

Take a look at the review of the S1 on Hippo Tech Solutions website. The editor not only calibrates a 50" S1, and actually prooves the extra green in the RGB mix that creates the grayscale, but he also compares it to a Pioneer Kuro plasma. The review has picture comparison, and detailed information.

I recommend a calibration from this gentlemen. Or, join the AVS forum, and speak to him personally about the issue. He has some generic grayscale adjustments posted there, free to use.

I would recommend his services. My 50" S1 is calibrated with his grayscale offsets, and it is leaps and bounds better. the picture was so flushed out with green, that it now looks like someone has "Removed the green tinted sunglasses" I was wearing while watching the tv. The same goes for The cool and normal color temps. Cool is overly blue, and normal is overly blue/green.

Now that the grayscale is calibrated correctly, colors pop, faces look lifelike, not color casted with green, and the set reproduces colors better overall. It is night and day how far off my magenta and purples were before calibration.

Venture to the site above. The editor has a great "how-to" write up on how to do grayscale calibration yourself, specifically on an S1/G10/V10, and also has the linked review comparing the S1 after grayscale calibration, to a Pioneer Kuro. It's great information.

I would imagine that this TV would have scored 4 out of 5 stars on David's review if the grayscale was calibrated correctly from the get go. It ruins the experience THAT much.

Good Luck All!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.