TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Panasonic Plasma HDTV Power Shutoff Problem

by David M. Cook / June 24, 2007 4:14 AM PDT

I am in the market for a large flat screen plasma HDTV. Panasonic appears to attract fairly consistent good performance and reliability appraisals from most reviewers. I am really interested in the new 2007 Panasonic 58" model (TH-58PZ700U). However, I have found a concern among some that many Panasonic plasma TVs have a mysterious power shut off problem that is turning people off about Panasoic plasma TVs in general. Do you know anything about this? Is this a deal breaker in anyone's mind?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic Plasma HDTV Power Shutoff Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic Plasma HDTV Power Shutoff Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
this was a problem
by woodygg / June 24, 2007 4:20 AM PDT

on certain models in the past, mine included.

i updated the firmware about 6 months or so ago and have never had the problem since...

Collapse -
Gee. The article cited sensing an ungrounded circuit, not
by NM_Bill / June 24, 2007 7:16 AM PDT

any major malfunction of the set. Then mention of firmware fix. The subject of the problem cited had a complete unit replacement in mind as a satisfactory level of resolution. Now, BB & CC do the basically no questions asked thing during the 30 day grace period, but isn't it overkill to feel Panny would physically take back all of the lot in question?

Why not just find confirmationo of that firmware thing? The 58 incher you have in mind should be a pretty darn good solution.

Collapse -
ya, i read the link later...
by woodygg / June 24, 2007 7:50 AM PDT

think that may be a separate issue... although that link was to an article three years old, so in my mind the issue has most likely been completely resolved by Panasonic.

my 50" panny had the same symptom and the fw upgrade fixed it.

this issue was even noted on the above linked page:

"Random lock up condition (All buttons on remote and front panel inoperative, except for Power button) "

i called panasonic support and they knew exactly what to do and recommended the fw upgrade to correct the issue.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / June 24, 2007 7:51 AM PDT

Collapse -
by woodygg / June 24, 2007 7:52 AM PDT

a three year old issue that's been corrected?

Collapse -
The Power Problem on Some Panasonics Appears To Be Ongoing
by David M. Cook / June 24, 2007 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: huh?
Collapse -
by Riverledge / June 26, 2007 8:46 AM PDT

Collapse -
I take that back...
by woodygg / June 24, 2007 7:55 AM PDT

weird. i have read many forums related to the panny's, and have yet to find this issue noted (almost at all)... well, as they say, do your homework! i have had no issues, nor has my friend who has installed many of them - but buyer beware!

Collapse -
Panasonic Plasma problems
by LeeW222 / July 1, 2007 1:39 AM PDT

The Panasonic Plasma is good while it is working but after two years or sooner it will need repair and Panasonic will do nothing for you. The Panasonic customer service people are a joke.If you decide to buy one of these second rate plasma's make sure you get the extra warranty with it,you will need it. The customer service people wont make it easy for you no matter what type of problem you have or no matter how long you have owned it. Good luck if you own one now.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.