TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Panasonic Plasma 3D smart tv & blu ray 3D home theater

by vinpan80 / December 30, 2012 8:45 AM PST

I have the HDMI cable hookup and when I play movies on it the suround sound works now I have a HD pluged into the USB when watching a movie from that I just get tv speakers not home theater speakers I need help?!!!!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic Plasma 3D smart tv & blu ray 3D home theater
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic Plasma 3D smart tv & blu ray 3D home theater
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's a known issue
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2012 9:01 AM PST

Because of how HD content protection works, most sets will only output stereo except for OTA and on some but not all sets for the APPS. HDD (hard disk drive) playback can indeed result in stereo.
Bob

Collapse -
Hummmm
by vinpan80 / December 30, 2012 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: It's a known issue

but also it wont play pandora radio ( the app is buildit in the tv ) it wont sound on home theater eather, I tryed audio cables I cant get then to work? how do I fix this? thanks

Collapse -
Pandora issues are in the news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2012 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Hummmm

Some folk are so upset over the Pandora issue they are writing they will return the set. Maybe that's what is needed.

Again, surround sound is considered HD. So content protection kicks in and well, let's just say all this protection creates artificial limitations.

-> You have too many issues in your discussion. Which one do you want to discuss?
Bob

Collapse -
sound
by vinpan80 / December 30, 2012 10:58 AM PST

Ok so if i watch regular cable tv the sound would come out on the home theater? so the reason why I cant get sound out of the hardrive to the home theater is b/c of protection?

Collapse -
If the cable TV is connected with the Antenna input.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2012 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: sound

Then that's considered OK according to HDCP rules and you should get more than stereo through the TV if the content provides it.

I know these rules seem idiotic but I consider them consumer unfriendly.
Bob

Collapse -
ok your not making sence?????
by vinpan80 / December 30, 2012 11:44 AM PST

I had never seen any of this any where....did you ever answer my question with yes or no, I thing your talking about something else im going to a better forum with people that can give me a straight answer.....

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 2:52 AM PST

The reason you don't hear about this is simple. The stores, salespeople and industry has no reason to confuse buyers with find details.

Sorry but it appears that we would need to sit down over some coffee to go over it a few times for you to get the full story. And then you may need to do more research about HDCP, HDMI and such to learn what all that does.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
To funny
by vinpan80 / January 9, 2013 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

you dont know what your talking about, I had to switch HDMI cables on the tv around and go to the bluray player to set the tv up on it and now the sound comes out. so next time do your home work before you open your mouth and know what your talking about! have a good one

Collapse -
Love to discuss this with you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2013 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: To funny

Look at your changes and you may have had old cables that didn't do ARC. But ARC is rarely more than stereo. So the HDCP rules are not the issue in your case but instead it was the ARC issue.

I don't want to upset you but your post revealed that what I was writing about is true. Let's talk more if you want.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
For your reading pleasure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 3:00 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.