TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Panasonic P42UT50 to Headphones

by TerrySmythe / June 5, 2013 1:34 PM PDT

For 'leventy-7 years, every TV I've bought has a Sony headphones jack on the face that shuts off the internal speakers and sends the audio signal to my headphones. With my hearing aids, I need headphones for clarity.

Just bought a P42UT50 Plasma TV, got it home and discovered that it does not have a Sony jack for headphones. My not-so friendly neighborhood TV retailer asserts that the TV industry has stopped including this feature, and furthermore tells me that it is not possible to install such a female jack by simply opening up the case and splicing in the connector.

My TV is hooked up to an HDPVR for high def screen display, the whole reason why I bought this TV.

The reverse of the TV has a digital audio out jack, which when connected to a digital to analog converter does not work well at all, really poor sound.

The back of the HDPVR has both RCA audio out and digital audio out, but neither of them work because the HDMI connection directs all signal through it, mandatory. So both the RCA and digital audio outs are silent.

I have 4 good quality headphones, 2 with stereo Sony male connectors, one with R/L RCA male connectors, and the 4th one with USB. All work normally. None have in-line volume control, never needed.

I really do not want to have to go to the expense of a home theater audio system, just so I can plug in my headphones.

You would not believe the runaround I'm getting talking with various techies. Is it possible that I am the first person to ask this question? Hardly....

Basic question - How do I get back to what I've always had - headphones that redirect audio from internal speakers to the headphones?

Thoughts of others?

Regards,

Terry

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic P42UT50 to Headphones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic P42UT50 to Headphones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I looked and see the RCA are inputs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2013 1:50 PM PDT

As to the claim you can't splice, I can only can guess you haven't found a good tech.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. There are some hundreds of web pages on how to add this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2013 1:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Panasonic P42UT50 to Headphones

My local retailer techie tells me that the speakers are not connected by wires. He states they are part of small circuit boards. This is how he explains why "splicing" not possible.

Does anybody know if there are views somewhere of what the inside of my P42UT50 looks like. My retailer warns me in dire terms that if I open the case, warranty becomes nul and void.

Regards,

Terry

Collapse -
And circuit boards are copper, with speakers soldered on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2013 6:47 AM PDT

It appears that you have not met the right tech.

About the warranty. They are right. But when you want this to work, a good tech with a hot iron can fix this.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
by TerrySmythe / June 10, 2013 8:14 AM PDT

An update........

I bought a digital-to-analog converter, but that is not suitable, it is intended as input into an amplifier. Furthermore it does not turn off the internal speakers. Turning off the internal speakers (menu selection), also turns off the digital audio.

My Shaw HPDPR is connected to my TV via HDMI cable direct. It does have a digital audio out connector, but it is silent, as 100% of the audio signal passes through HDMI only.

Question:

Is there such a thing as an adapter that is a modest amplifier, with both HDMI IN and OUT, and having a headphone jack off the amplified side? I'm perceiving that the amplifier/headphones circuit would tap off the audio side of the HDMI. Thoughts of others?

Regards,

Terry

Collapse -
Answer
by TerrySmythe / June 20, 2013 4:21 AM PDT

Follow-up:

After much discussions with "experts", I have found a solution. Basically, I have found that a headphones jack cannot be added to the P42UT50 because its speakers are alleged to be hard connected to an internal circuit board, and secondly, any attempt to hook up headphones off the set itself will fail because as its internal speakers are turned off by menu selection, all external audio outputs are also turned off. That leaves the only solution must come off the HDPVR.

Off Memory Express, for $39, I bought an HDMI Splitter with audio out:

Ultra High Performance 3 Ports HDMI Amplifier Switcher w/ Remote Control & Intelligent Switch - $39
http://tinyurl.com/pjyt5e3
http://www.memoryexpress.com

The audio output from this HDMI Splitter emerges super quiet, expecting to be input to a home theater system with its own amplifier. Having no desire to buy a home theater system, just to be able to plug-in headphones, I found a headphone amplifier for $24.

Headphone Amplifier - $30
http://tinyurl.com/o4afvgs
http://www.sonicelectronix.com

This little headphones amplifier has all the cables needed, has its own volume control and bass boost, works like a champ.

In use, I simply "mute" the internal TV speakers, then plug in my headphones into this tiny little amplifier, an 'voila' , headphones behave normally.

Solution quite acceptable, and at reasonable cost.

Regards,

Terry

Collapse -
Did you notice they tried that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2013 4:44 AM PDT

"The reverse of the TV has a digital audio out jack, which when connected to a digital to analog converter does not work well at all, really poor sound."

This is a well discussed area but they already tried it and didn't like it. So back to basics of solder, copper and wires for me. We can fix this if we want.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.