TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Panasonic or Vizio?

by pablo video / April 30, 2006 2:05 AM PDT

I need to purchase a 42 in. HDTV. I want to choose between the Panasonic TH-42PX60U at $2400 and the Vizio P42HDTV at $1800.

Is the picture quality on the Panasonic that much better than that on the Vizio? Is it worth the extra $600?

Paul Payne

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic or Vizio?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic or Vizio?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a little advice
by stewart norrie / April 30, 2006 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Panasonic or Vizio?

Before you buy , check the phone book first,and see if there is a warrenty service store for the brand you plan to buy in your area. Thats one of the reasons Sony is one of the best t.v.s they seem to have warrenty stations everywhere good luck to you and post back to us stewart

Collapse -
PANASONIC FOREVER
by BONSPEED / April 30, 2006 5:36 AM PDT

when it comes to plasmas, most would choose panasonic over any other brand. in fact, panasonic is the donminate name in the plasma market with good reason. i have own the p50hdm vizio since last year and have been very pleased with its performance. despite the many positive reviews the 50'' model has received, the 42'' model hasnt quite met the standard the p50hdm has set. if the savings is important and you have a costco nearby, i suggest you try out the vizio. costco's return practices are better then some manufactors warranties. this way, you can always return the vizio if it doesnt meet you ''personal'' expectations. also, the last time i checked costco had the p50hdm priced at $2400.

Collapse -
Thanks for suggesting the Panasonic
by pablo video / April 30, 2006 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: PANASONIC FOREVER

Thanks for the help. It is interesting to note that you own the Vizio P50HDTV which seems to be much better than the Vizio P42. Would you say that the Vizio P50HDTV at $2400 is a better buy than the Panasonic TH42PX60U at $ 2400?

Collapse -
SIZE MATTERS
by BONSPEED / April 30, 2006 12:39 PM PDT

panasonic's excellant reputation is well deserved, but the $1000 i saved (at the time) with the p50hdm has served me well. the paansonic th42px60u is a ''very good'' 42'' plasma compared to a ''good'' 50'' vizio p50hdm. with picture quality aside (subjective), there is a couple of differences to consider.panasonic th42px60u has the typical 42''plasma minimum lines of resolution which cannot display a true 16x9 720p image. despite hardly effecting picture quality, many dont realize this before purchasing.the vizio p50hdm is a monitor and does require a external cable/sat tuner.i have owned a 42'' before and the size difference i get with the 50'' is large. my personal hd requirements aren't as critical as your average videophile. in the end, i choose the p50hdm for its size and value.

Collapse -
I'll go for size
by pablo video / April 30, 2006 8:44 PM PDT
In reply to: SIZE MATTERS

Again, thanks BONSPEED for the usefull information on the importance of size. I will go with the Vizio P50HDTV for its size and value. I respect the reputation of Panasonic but I believe that the bigger Vizio would be better for my home Theater experience than the 42 in. Panasonic.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) GET THE PANASONIC TH-50PX60U
by Riverledge / May 1, 2006 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll go for size
Collapse -
No expert but consider
by NM_Bill / May 1, 2006 10:52 AM PDT

I'm no expert but consider there must be a reason Panasonic has like 50% of the plasma market. I bought (naively) a Samsung DLP and it has been a really expensive proposition since the warranty expired. $1500 repairs so far. Gads, I wish reliability information was readily available. Seek as much info as possible on Vizio quality.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.