Camcorders forum

General discussion

Panasonic miniDV playback problem

by safetyfastmg / January 4, 2006 4:31 AM PST

Over the holidays, I went to show my parents some video I shot of our son's Christmas program, by hooking my Panasonic DV101 up to their TV. There were several lines across the screen that look live garbled pixels. I thought maybe the heads are dirty and looked at my owner's manual. It says that the heads should rarely if ever need cleaning. What could the problem be? Is my camcorder or the footage of my son's program toast?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic miniDV playback problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic miniDV playback problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info, please.
by Dan Filice / January 4, 2006 6:15 AM PST

How are you hooking up your camera? What output jacks on the camera are you using and with what cable? Do you have the camera in "Playback" or "VTR" mode? What about the TV? Do you have it on the correct "Input"? If you "Play" the tape in the camera, you should be able to see footage through the viewfinder. If you see the footage this way, then all is fine and it's just a matter of using the correct setups and connections.

Collapse -
Panasonic DV playback problem
by safetyfastmg / January 4, 2006 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: More info, please.

I should have indicated that the same problem is evident on the viewfinder.

Collapse -
Try tape in another DV cam
by Dan Filice / January 4, 2006 12:04 PM PST

If you know someone else with a mini DV camera, try your tape in that camera. Or, if you have a NEW mini DV tape, try recording something new and see if you get anything.

Collapse -
This may fix it
by smijeshm / April 30, 2006 4:17 AM PDT

I have had the same problem ie horizontal lines equally spaced during playback on monitor and TV. It first happenned about 4 years ago. It seemed there was no other reports of this problem. I found by my experience to record on a blank space for about 5 secs would fix it. This fix has worked sucessfully for me on every occasion that it has happenned. However today after getting back from my holidays it wouldnt work. After doing some searching on google I found another fix is just to give it a shake. Incredibly this worked worked straight away. My camera works fine now. I have a Panasonic 3CCD NV-MX350.

Collapse -
re This may fix it
by smijeshm / May 1, 2006 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: This may fix it

I had to use my video camera again after sending my previous post. Unfortunately the horizontal stripes problem came back. This time I tried to shake the camera whilst playing back without success. I then recorded on a blank space for 5 secs and it was fixed again. It is definitely a camera play back function problem and cleaning doesnt seem to make any difference.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.