Camcorders forum

General discussion

Panasonic MiniDV Palmcorder (PV-DV52D) ***Problem***

by Vanorek / November 19, 2004 10:28 AM PST

I bought this camera almost 2 years ago. The only thing I've had to fix is cleaning the heads since then. I have a new problem though, and I'm not sure as to what caused it or how to fix it myself if that's possible.

The red power light flashes. With most cams I've seen this as a sign that it's low on power. However my camera will do this even when it's battery is fully recharged. It does this even when I power it through the AC adapter. It doesn't have a problem with power yet the light flashes and here's the main problem: None of my record or playback options work. Even when fully powered, pushing record, play, fast forward, rewind, or anything else does nothing. Not even the menu screen button works. This only happens when my battery light is flashing so obviously the 2 things are connected.

Again this problem occurs even when my camera is fully powered. If anybody knows how to fix this without bringing it to a shop for repair let me know. I'd like to save myself some money if I can. I already looked in the manual that came with my camera and couldn't find any solutions there, which is why I'm looking for help here.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic MiniDV Palmcorder (PV-DV52D) ***Problem***
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic MiniDV Palmcorder (PV-DV52D) ***Problem***
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Panasonic MiniDV Palmcorder (PV-DV52D) ***Problem***
by frankzxcv / November 20, 2004 1:18 PM PST

I am not clear, your camera still works sometimes? under what circumstances?

you didn't mention, does it also have this problem when the battery is completely removed? just so as to eliminate a dying/faulty battery as a cause . . .

if that's not the case, offhand sounds to me like the power supply of the camera is dying. -- fj

Collapse -
by Vanorek / November 21, 2004 1:06 AM PST

No what I'm saying is my camera is always working in one way, and not in another. In other words it never has a power issue because I tried it with only the AC adaptor instead, not the battery. However it's the same result. It's playback options, none of the buttons, simply won't do anything. That's the concern. It doesn't make sense that the cam would have full power yet nothing I push does anything.

Collapse -
by Vanorek / November 21, 2004 7:18 AM PST

Ignore my last message. I recently tested my camcorder again. Both through the AC adaptor and the battery itself, the power is on, the red light flashes, and no buttons work until 1-2 minutes have passed. Then it simply shuts down by itself. I can probably conclude from this that it's some kind of internal power issue. If that's the case I'll have to get it repaired. Though I have to wonder if just buying a new cam would be a better idea instead. Any thoughts or suggestions are still appreciated.

Collapse -
repair cost
by frankzxcv / November 21, 2004 9:04 AM PST

well i don't know what you paid for the original unit but i saw some panasonics today at circuit city for under $400.

here's a repair shop I googled:

their labor hour is at least $120 -- plus the parts, you're half way to a new camcorder. if it's gotten very little use, okay, but i sense you've been wearing down the heads pretty hard for 2 years . . . I think it's time to buy another. I know of few electronic items worth repairing anymore. - fj

Collapse -
Re: repair cost
by Vanorek / November 21, 2004 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: repair cost

Yeah I agree, just not worth it. I'll worry about a new cam eventually. I'm done here.

Collapse -
by kolipo / January 27, 2006 6:39 AM PST

My camera has the exact same problem! Power light flashes
Cant reveiw a tape or record. When I plug it into the computer via firewire The computer cannot acces the tape either. Im thinking it has some stupid reset button somewhere so you have to bring it into a repair shop. Any Ideas?

Collapse -
DV52D same problem
by prone2success / February 3, 2006 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: dv52d

I Bought a ''Store DEMO'' off eBay and it has the identical problems... Sad ......Serial # G2SA17591 Now what???

Collapse -
Repair shop
by kolipo / February 4, 2006 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: DV52D same problem

I found a guy that will look at it for 30 bucks. If he fixes it Ill report back asap. Mine started to work normal again for a day than its back to its little fit again. I think the light is flashing a code? Ill let you know how it goes.

Collapse -
New Member Same problem
by anilanne / February 22, 2006 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Repair shop

I paid around $400 for this camera used it on a trip to Florida, Recorded on 3 tapes came home firewired them to my PC then the camera sat in my closet for a year and a half. after that the camera never worked agian. one thing i noticed was mine will play and record fing if you can record over a an existing spot on the tape, if its a new tape it will not do anything except the red light will blink then the unit will shut off. this camera has a total of 6 hrs runtime total. not really sure what to do about this.

Collapse -
Fixing now
by kolipo / April 9, 2006 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Repair shop

120 bucks for a "part"
Ill let you know if it gets fixed. Im gonna drill him when I get to pick it up.

Collapse -
How did it go?
by jiehl / June 6, 2006 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixing now

Kolipo, did you ever get it back from the shop?

Was it a power issue?

What did he need to replace?

thanks, i have the SAME EXACT problem as everyone else whose posted in this discussion, and it looks like there was a whole batch of these defective dv52d palmcorders.....

Collapse -
My camera worked fine for years until XP Fire Wire & Muvee.
by Anna A / April 20, 2007 3:59 AM PDT

I've come searching for answers and so far it looks bleak. I had a perfectly functioning camera until moments ago when I started using my new computer and the DV cam. In the past, the camera has performed like a champ. Until today.

I plugged into the firewire, then wham it no longer works after booting up a piece of software I never used. It found the camera, got into it and now it doesn't work. Muvee was the name of the program and I think they owe me a new camera. I'm running XP Media Center.

I'm going to hunt for a reset or something. Wish me luck. This camera was awesome. Dang.

Collapse -
PV DV52D problem
by scorpiooooooh / July 16, 2007 10:36 AM PDT

I just got my PV DV52D back from a friend who had it for nine months (...don't ask). I use this for playing around but use professional Sony Betacam SP and DVCAM for most of my real work.

When I attached AC power to the camera and inserted a tape, the power light flashes **-----**----**-----**----**---- the asterisks being the two blinks, then a brief pause. This repeates until the camera self powers off.

The Answer....drum roll please....

It is a tape transport error, my camera ate the first tape I put in to test. I have no idea what my "friend" did with the camera for 9+ months but it was filthy. It finaly played a tape but stopped and went blinky again. When the tape was removed it was slack. After a bit of fiddling and running a test tape through the transport...thats the little rollers, capstans and fingers that move the tape in and out of the record/playback path, thats what makes the Wheeeeeeee sound when you insert or eject a seems to be working ok now.

If you are experiencing a similar problem, try running a brand new tape through the transport doing a few FF and RWs the length of the tape. After you do this a few times clean the heads. I use a cleaning solution and cotton swabs. DO NOT attempt this unless you know what you are doing or don't mind taking the risk of making matters worse. You can take the camera to a shop and have the heads and rollers cleaned professionaly but it will cost a few bucks. You may also want to try using a head cleaning tape but heed this warning; DO NOT over use the cleaning tape...DO NOT under ANY circumstances rewind the head cleaning tape and run it through your camera again, IT WILL DESTROY THE HEADS.

Another tip:

don't use Metal Particle MP tapes, spend the few extra dollars and get Metal Evaporated, they are cleaner and more reliable. also, not a good idea to eat fried chicken, cheese doodles, or any other finger foods while changing tapes. the mechanical guts of your camera are VERY sensative, especially the heads.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Addendum to PV DV52D problem
by scorpiooooooh / July 16, 2007 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: PV DV52D problem

Another possible cause of the "tape transport error" could be the tape door is not closed or latched tight. Don't slam the tape in but using a firm push to close the door can sometimes help. The problem occurs if the door is out of alignment or otherwise loose. If the door is not properly aligned when the tape feeds into the transport path, it could go slack and....blink blink........blink blink......

Collapse -
power light flashes
by thomashu / August 7, 2007 12:35 PM PDT

One cause for flashing power light is excessive moisture. Dry your camcorder will fix it. It happened to me several time when the weather was humid.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
by danvar2010 / January 6, 2010 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: PV DV52D problem

hi, scorpiooooooh,
thanks a my comcarder i experienced the same problem, the red light blinking.for 2 days i was trying various sites on the subject.various solutions were given,but none worked. finally your reply to PV D52D solved my problem also.i removed the tape and my camera is no more blinking.thanxs a lot again.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.