TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Panasonic HDTV Not Picking Up Digital Channels ABC, CBS

by JC-15 / March 28, 2011 2:29 AM PDT

I have a Panasonic TC-L32C22 in my bedroom and a Sony Bravia 40" in our great room.

I recently canceled our basic cable subscription for $25/month because a friend told me that the tuners in my TV's will pick up the local digital channels. He was right.

Running directly from the TV to the cable jack on the walls, my Sony and Panasonic picked up every channel that I was paying $25/month for (the HD ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, etc.)

Everything was going great for about two days until ABC and CBS vanished. I was able to re-scan on the Sony and it found them again on different channels (example...ABC which was formerly channel 2.1 is now found on channel 92.1 and CBS which was formerly channel 5.1 is now 93.3)

However, these channels do not appear on the Panasonic. All of the other channels are there except for these two. I have rescanned several times but with no luck. If it was a signal strength or tuner issue, I would think that it wouldn't be able to pick up all the other channels so easily.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic HDTV Not Picking Up Digital Channels ABC, CBS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic HDTV Not Picking Up Digital Channels ABC, CBS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need an antenna
by givemeaname / March 28, 2011 6:07 AM PDT

Your lucky your getting anything from the shielded coax lines.

For 2.1 & 92.1 what is the call number.. In maybe ABC but is could be ABC from 100+ miles away in a different city.
Have you checked the signal strength meter on the tv? Menu>Setup>Ant/Cable setup>Signal Meter

OTA is very picky, a change a weather can make it so you get or not get some channels... Clouds for me I get more channels, some from 180 miles away from here but I still have trouble getting channels from towers just 5 miles away because of hills (I almost never use OTA)

Collapse -
Got it Working
by JC-15 / March 28, 2011 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: You need an antenna

I moved the Panasonic to the great room where the Sony is and re-scanned the channels. ABC, CBS, and all the other channels showed up perfectly. Took the Panasonic back to the bedroom, hooked it back up to the cable jack and everything is working great now...all available digital channels showing.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Collapse -
antennaweb dot org
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2011 7:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
New Development: ABC, CBS show up on Panasonic in Great Room
by JC-15 / March 28, 2011 10:20 AM PDT

Thanks guys.

Here is an interesting development. I hooked up my Panasonic to the cable jack in the great room (where my Sony is) and bingo, ABC and CBS showed up perfectly along with all the other digital channels.

Does anyone have experience with cable jacks to help me understand why one would deliver all the channels and the other would keep ABC and CBS from coming through? The great room is closer to the outside cable box by about 11 ft...not sure if that is making a difference, especially in light of the fact that all the other digital channels show up just fine in the bedroom.

Thoughts?

Collapse -
signals were below a threshold
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2011 1:17 PM PDT

My understanding of digital vs analog is that you have to be at a minimum signal level for the tuner to work properly. In the good old days you could at least hear the football game even though the picture was all snow. Not anymore...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.