Mac Hardware forum

Panasonic HDC-TM90 Mac HD Editing Question

by Lynzzy / December 28, 2011 7:56 AM PST

I recently purchased a
Panasonic HDC-TM90. It supports AVCHD, 1080/60p: iFrame. I have the iMac OS X Version 10.6.8, 4
GM Ram, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I currently have iMovie9.

I want to be able to
edit High Definition on my iMac. I
know that iMovie11 does not support 1080/60p editing. I was wondering if I
could get your advice on a cheap, hassle free, easy to use solution. My
primarily use for the HD videos will be home, holiday videos and YouTube.

I have read discussions,
recommending to use the Aunsoft MTS/M2TS Converter ($29.00) or the Aunsoft Final
Mate ($49.00).

I was wondering if I
could please have some advice before I make my purchases.

Thank you!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic HDC-TM90 Mac HD Editing Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic HDC-TM90 Mac HD Editing Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Isn't the iMovie upgrade $14.99 at link?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2011 8:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Yup, but not 1080-60p
by Lynzzy / December 28, 2011 10:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Correct me if I'm wrong or have misunderstood but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 28, 2011 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: Yup, but not 1080-60p

using the above software aren't you just converting 1080-60p into 960x540 (iFrame) for importing into iMovie 9 or 11?

Collapse -
I think
by Lynzzy / December 28, 2011 2:51 PM PST

I think Aunsoft MTS/M2TS Converter program promises that it will convert 1920x1080p60 .MTS (which doesn't work on iMovie 9 or 11) to .MOV or something campatible with iMovie 09 or 11 without loosing *much* of the quality.

And Aunsoft FinalMate incorporates both a movie editor and a converter.

Collapse -
In other words
by Lynzzy / December 28, 2011 2:59 PM PST
In reply to: I think

Promising to convert the film from .MTS to .MOV, keeping it at 1920x1080p60.

Collapse -
Solutions for best quality, retaining 60fps in iMovie
by steveheric / April 21, 2012 1:59 AM PDT

iMovie 11 does not support 60 fps directly. But you can import the Panasonic TM90 retaining all 60fps frames with a three-step process.

1) ClipWrap reads the AVCHD directory structure and converts the files to other formats. Just drop the entire AVCHD directory (not just the MTS files themselves) into the drop-box window, select the files you want converted (some or all), select the destination folder, and select the output type. You can "rewrap" the files in a .mov wrapper with no actual alteration of the video samples, OR you can convert to other formats like Apple Intermediate Codec (native for iMovie) or Apple ProRes 422 (native for FCPX). For iMovie, go ahead and choose Apple Intermediate Codec.

The free trial version is available here, with an option to pay $50 for the full version after you download.
This is a fast well-respected program, and seems to be the best choice for this particular job.

If anyone knows about one of $35 converters that works as well, please let us all know.

2) If you want to retain the 60 fps info for iMovie, you need to tell the file that it is really a 30fps file that then plays in slow-motion. You can do this using a bit of freeware called MovieEdit. It's easy to use, but unfortunately it has no batch mode. You just open a file and save it again as the same name (writing over the original) or a different name (retaining both). I think it just overwrites a header field.

MovieEdit is here:

3) Input the slow-motion files to iMovie. In iMovie, you will be able to "speed up" the playback to full-motion, or retain the slow-mo capability.

If you don't really need the Slow-Mo, skip step 2, and iMovie will drop half the frames to convert 60fps to 30fps full speed.

NOTE: I just learned of another tool that supposedly can do the same conversion as Step 2 MovieEdit, but with batch processing:
JES Deinterlacer
but its interface is a bit more confusing. Anybody tried it?

Collapse -
(NT) Interesting information, thanks
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 21, 2012 10:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Clipwrap and exposure
by TxTroy / June 11, 2012 12:43 PM PDT

I'm assuming most of those replying on this thread are mac users who also bought this camera. I'm about to purchase clip wrap but I had one question for everyone.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a stark difference in exposure when viewing videos on the camcorder (regardless of format recorded in) versus viewing the video on a mac. I've got a 2009 iMac and its amazing how different the videos are when I play them back. The camcorder is vibrant, bright, and almost like you're actually in the room, but after transferring to the computer, its dull, grainy, and completely unlike what I just viewed on the camcorder.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Collapse -
No exposure problem here.
by steveheric / June 11, 2012 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Clipwrap and exposure

The videos look great on my Mac screen.
Do you have any problem with other video content on your Mac? Could it be a brightness setting?

Collapse -
Double Checking.....
by TxTroy / June 18, 2012 2:39 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'll try to get something posted tomorrow on youtube. Just so I'm clear - your videos look pretty much the same whether playing back on your camcorder or mac? And how old/new is your computer?

Do you use clip wrap for all of your imports? I've had this camcorder for a few months now and haven't had much time to really get a handle on everything involved regarding shooting formats and subsequent importing. I say that because at some point along the way, iMovie started recognizing the camera and importing the movies directly whereas it had never done that before.

I am so used to everything with macs being so straight forward that this situation has really annoyed me.....mainly because most of my videos are of my young son and I don't want to chance messing these up or not getting the best quality out of them. I've actually filled up the memory on the camcorder and haven't deleted any of the videos yet because I haven't figured out the viewing issue I mentioned in my initial post. I'm afraid I may have to reimport or jump through some other hoop and if I delete now, I'll be stuck with these dull lifeless videos.

If possible, can you tell me exactly what your best recording experience entails? From shooting format to import procedure. It doesn't have to be 1080p.

Collapse -
Late Response - sorry
by steveheric / September 29, 2012 3:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Double Checking.....

Sorry for the long delay, but I missed the notice of your reply and had not been back to this site in awhile.

I have tried shooting in iFrame and 1080i/AVCHD (highest quality of the 4 choices:HA1920) and 1080/60p (highest quality overall). The 1080i has no particular advantage in my opinion, save for some space efficiency. It takes longer to convert (requires deinterlacing) but it will shoot 2 hours on a 16GB card vs 1:23:00 for 1080/60p.

If you don't mind the smaller resolution of iFrame, it is certainly most convenient, since it reads directly into iMovie.

But if you want the higher 1080 resolution, use the 1080/60p mode. ClipWrap converts it in one step to AIC mode (compatible with iMovie), or it can also convert to FCP native formats, and does so reasonably quickly. It took about 2 minutes for a 42 second clip on my old 2006 iMac (2.33GHz Intel Core Duo) to convert to AIC. You can load up all the clips from a "PRIVATE" folder and batch convert overnight or while you are working on something else. ClipWrap does not do deinterlacing, so the 1080i modes would require a different program and/or additional step. (I use MPEG Streamclip to deinterlace and do some other conversions, but it is slow relative to ClipWrap.)

The 1080/60p mode is also useful if you are shooting action footage, footage that you want to "stabilize" or footage that you want to zoom into, since these edits cut down on resolution, and you want to start with as much resolution as possible.

I have had NO quality difference going from camera to computer. I don't know what could cause that.

One more thing. You can just copy the whole PRIVATE folder from the camera and/or SD card and not worry about losing any quality. The PRIVATE folder (or the underlying AVCHD folder) is what you drag to ClipWrap. Don't try to isolate the files buried further down. ClipWrap needs the directory structure and figures everything out.

Of course it's been 3 months, and I'm sure you have been experimenting yourself with this camera so I hope you have already figured this stuff out, but I thought I would post anyway. Maybe it will help you, or other readers. Let me know how it's going!

Collapse -
More info
by steveheric / September 30, 2012 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Double Checking.....

By the way, I rarely go to the trouble of retaining the 60fps info for iMovie. It would only be useful if you want to run something in slow motion.

Also, there is another program i just bought:
AunSoft Video Converter for Mac ($35)
There are a couple of related programs AunSoft sells for $29 but this one seems to do what they do and more, so I sprung the extra 6 bucks. I bought it through the App Store.

This allows batch conversions to many different formats. Added features relative to ClipWrap are that it will deinterlace the 1080i (avoiding an extra step through MPEG StreamClip) and convert the 1080/60p to 30p (which iMovie will do at import, but this should create smaller movies at the intermediate step, I think.)

I'm still testing for speed, but it seems reasonable so far.

Collapse -
In the same boat
by mpisani / January 1, 2013 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: More info

First off - I'm a newbie at this. But I'm in the same boat as Lyn in the original post. I've had the HDC-TM90 since last year and just filled up the 32Gb card so now I need to transfer the movies to my Mac. I have iMovie08 but am willing to upgrade to iMovie11 if I need to.

One of my main reasons for picking this camcorder was to get HD movies that are crisp and sharp. Is there a noticeable difference if I choose iFrame as my recording format as opposed to the 1080/60p I'm using now?

So correct my anywhere along the way but to keep the high quality of the 1080/60p I've recorded in, I need to purchase ClipWrap (unless there's something else) and take the entire AVCHD foler and drag it into the software where I can pick and choose what I want to convert. And when prompted I should choose AIC mode so the movies are compatable with iMovie. Am I on the right track?

Would this work for iMovie08 or do I need to upgrade to iMovie11? The movies are not going to be half speed or anything - right?

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Sorry but your post looks off topic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: In the same boat

And it appears you are asking new questions in an old post.

Please start a new discussion.

Collapse -
by steveheric / March 2, 2013 3:49 AM PST

I have learned that iMovie 11 now supports 60 fps.
If you import (copy) AIC 60 fps files into iMovie, it will use the higher rate forms in slow-motion segments. ( I have tested this.)
I have read that you can also export the 60 fps to quicktime files. (I have read, but not tested this.)

So there is no need to use the MovieEdit tool from my previous reply.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the update
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 2, 2013 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Update
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.