TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Panasonic 42" plasma TV color artifacts

by peter5992 / November 24, 2012 10:17 AM PST

Good evening everyone:

I have a five year old 42" Panasonic plasma TV (model TH-42PX75U). Since a few weeks, I am experiencing red pixeled artifacts on the screen (like swarms flickering across the screen). Sometimes they are gone, but they always come back. It seems to be getting worse as of the last couple of days.

What's going on here - is my TV going to the dogs? A bad chip perhaps? Is this something I can fix myself?

The warranty's long expired, and I can't afford to buy a new TV right now.

Many thanks,

Peter

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Panasonic 42" plasma TV color artifacts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Panasonic 42" plasma TV color artifacts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
During all inputs, or only some(?)
by Pepe7 / November 24, 2012 10:31 AM PST

Please give more details.

Is this happening during all inputs, or only when watching cable/satellite/certain channels/etc.? Be detailed if possible.

Also, is it anything similar to the following video depicting something similar in description, anyway-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRODNoGoBTA

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Anwer to clarification request
by peter5992 / December 4, 2012 9:24 AM PST

During all inputs - cable TV (Directv) as well as PS3.

It's exactl like in the YouTube video you posted, although I should say fortunately much less severe. Right now it's barely noticeable.

Collapse -
Answer
There is a solution.....
by Sammyboiz / December 29, 2012 4:00 PM PST

I don't know if you've already found the solution, but I have a plasma TV too and this happens on occasion to me as well - and it always is clustered in the same area of the screen each time (and tend to differ in size too). My TV has an option to go into WHITE OUT mode to rid the screen of burn-in - which, as you will know, plasmas are susceptible to - so going into this mode always clears the screen of those artifacts, usually within a few minutes. Your TV will have a similar option, so if you don't know how to do so already, your manual will have the answer.

Collapse -
Can't find white out mode
by peter5992 / December 30, 2012 8:54 AM PST

Many thanks for the feedback - can't find the white out mode in the manual though. There's several options to set the display brightness with standard settings and fine tunings but none for white out (google didn't help either). If somebody can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.