Phones forum

General discussion

Palm Tungsten E2 won't turn on

by Jane917 / December 16, 2005 6:36 AM PST

My E2 has been working fine until today. It won't turn on. I tried a soft reset, but nothing happened. I think I am still within the 90 day warranty period, and I hot-synched fairly recently. Is there something else I should try before I check into the warranty? I am fairly sure the battery does not need charging, though I will connect to the charger when I get home. I have become very dependent on my pda. jane

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Palm Tungsten E2 won't turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Palm Tungsten E2 won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hey. I have that problem as well :(
by manutdrule1990 / December 27, 2005 11:23 PM PST

Hey there. I have a Palm Tungsten E2 Handheld pc and it was working fine until when i turned it off once and now it doesnt turn back on Sad I have email PalmOne but no reply so far.

Will let you know if I get any information Grin

Collapse -
Check this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2005 11:30 PM PST

Someone claims that they opened one and removed the battery. If out of warranty, why not?

Collapse -
Its new!
by manutdrule1990 / December 28, 2005 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Check this forum.

My E2 is brand new and i've treated it with respect. It just simply does not turn on since i pressed the on/off button and ive tried everything in the Palm Knowledge Library on the website (Yep im English)
I can't risk opening it Sad

Jane please notify me if you get any information on your probelm and i will vice versa for you. Happy

Collapse -
New means it's NOT YOUR PROBLEM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2005 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: Its new!

Let PalmOne take care of it. With the millions of units they make, there will be some duds.

Collapse -
But I bought it off Amazon. Brand New.
by manutdrule1990 / December 28, 2005 9:10 PM PST

I bought the E2 brand new from so how do I return it or get a replacement?

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Got me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2005 9:13 PM PST

Here I head to You may have to use the UK site.

Move fast since it's only a 90 day warranty.

Collapse -
90 Days
by manutdrule1990 / December 28, 2005 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: Got me.

Yeah I know. 90 days! Im still waiting for a reply from
Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Fixed my dead E2
by djy888 / April 19, 2006 11:59 AM PDT

I had the exact same problem. My E2 was only 2 weeks old! None of the reset options worked. I charged and trickle charged but nothing worked. Palm said to send it back...

I searched the forums and saw a link suggesting taking it apart and disconnecting the battery momentarily. I did and it worked!!!

Directions for taking it apart are at
but they are for the E, not the E2. A few small differences and one big one. The E2 doesn't require soldering to disconnect and reconnect the battery. Just pry off the plastic piece from the motherboard and push it back on when your ready to reconnect.

Collapse -
I fixeed mine too!
by underwater32 / September 19, 2006 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed my dead E2

Thank you for the tips on fixing the dead E2.... I took your advise, disconnected the battery and connected it again - and now it works. For others wanting to take into the project, this is not a simple task.... Even though I had the right tools, the screws were hard to undo... also, the screen connector came loose, so i had to reconnect as well.... the start button and the plastic that it is attached too come off easily... and it took a little while to put everything back together properly - but it beats off sending it for repair, or buying a new one! Plus if you ever need to replace a battery, now you know how,

Collapse -
Fixed..... temporarily
by leejay76 / October 8, 2006 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: I fixeed mine too!

I did this as I couldn't find my receipt (bought it last december). It worked but after reassembly it wasn't working again! Tried this several times, but it kept stopping before i'd finished reassembling it. Any ideas on permenant fix or how to get either PalmOne or Amazon to replace it???

Collapse -
If reassembly kills it the I would be looking ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2006 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed..... temporarily

At a possible case short. There is not much to go on in your post but I'll share I'd be looking for spots that the case can connect electrically with any other part.

Collapse -
Want to fix my dead E2 but keep info
by grey97 / December 1, 2006 8:11 AM PST

When you relaced your battery, did you loose any of your information. I hadn't synced my E2 and am afraid of losing any information. I've had it for 8 months so its well past warranty. If you could email me at

Collapse -
Should be fine. Here's some light reading.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2006 10:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Also fixed mine
by neliotontoni / September 24, 2007 4:50 PM PDT

My E2 also died without any apparent cause. I followed your link, opened case and disconnected battery. On reconnecting - Voila!! Thanks very much!

Collapse -
WOO-HOO! Brought my dead E2 back to life as well!
by phidler / October 1, 2007 2:36 PM PDT

I got joy here as well! I didn't have a Torx #5, but much to my surprise, the 1.4mm slotted driver from my basic Stanley small driver set fit the Torx screws perfectly, and they turned easily. A bit tough splitting the clam, but once I did, everything seemed self-explanatory (after reading the tutorial linked above). There's an ivory-colored plastic block that terminates the black and red leads from the battery; it pries straight up with the same screwdriver. I reconnected it within a minute, and the screen came on, and with a full battery. Best yet--to my complete and utter amazement--all the data were there (including a week of client notes I hadn't yet backed up)!

Of course, PalmOne support would never mention this option. They advised me to buy a new one...

Collapse -
Another E2 resurrection
by Yethu / October 26, 2007 12:43 PM PDT

Additional possible lessons:

I suspect that the problem is that the plastic switch on top gets stuck, draining the battery.

You may be able to use a tiny eye-glass repair kit screwdriver if you don't have a Torx 5.

I unscrewed the back.
(Notice how the plastic switch works or doesn't.)
Lift, pushing out toward plugs.

(This step may be unnecessary if the problem is just the switch.)
I used tweezers to pull the battery connection up. Then reconnect.

I recharged directly from a travel plug.
(Direct cable connection should work; I couldn't charge from cradle.)

I reassembled, making sure the switch moves freely.

Please report back here....

Collapse -
Fix is in for Tungsten E2
by theelfwine / October 27, 2008 2:18 PM PDT

Thanks for the help guys. I bought my Tungsten E2 from CompUSA in May 2006 and it's been pretty reliable but today it just died and wouldn't come back. A quick search and following your directions and presto! Back in business. Hope it lasts. I used the small slotted screwdriver for the four screws and unplugged the black/red wire plug and as soon as I plugged it back in it turned on. Be careful pulling the clamshell apart as some parts may go flying. Clear a space and have plenty of light. Thanks again.
The Elfwine

Collapse -
Bingo! Instant success
by nickitson / November 19, 2008 5:41 AM PST

Just want to say thanks to all on this thread for giving me a possible fix to my dead E2 and the courage to attempt it. My E2 just failed today, after 2 or 3 years reliable use. I was convinced it was not down to the battery so I used a small jewellers screwdriver to take the torx screws out and a larger one to take the case apart. I disconnected the battery for a few seconds and reconnected & bingo! Instant restart. All I've had to do is reset the date & time.

Collapse -
Another Success!
by ManFromMead / November 17, 2009 4:24 AM PST

Thank you for saving me a bunch of money. One variation is that after following the process, I had to plug my E2 into the wall charger before realizing success!

Collapse -
Fixed my dead E2
by wem5000 / February 16, 2010 9:10 PM PST

I to had the same problem with my Palm Tungsten E2. I took the advice from this forum and disconnected the battery and then reconnected and voila it turned on.

It is a little difficult getting the E2 apart and back together but is still simple enough.

Thank you to those who posted the solution.

Collapse -
Possible cause of this problem
by barry18 / January 19, 2007 5:48 AM PST

I too have had my E2 in a state where it would not turn on until I opened the case, unplugged the battery connection to the circuit board, and then reconnected the battery. This has happened twice in the approximately 60 days I have owned my E2. The most recent incident resulted in a bootup Windows error message telling me I had a defective device connected to a USB port. Removing the E2 from the sync cable cleared the fault. Then I tried to turn on the E2, and it would not respond. Since I generally leave the E2 connected to my computer, it is often attached when I power down. I'm starting to suspect I have a Windows XP Pro interface problem which is sometimes causing the lockup of my E2. I'm going to make an effort to remove my E2 from the sync cable before shutting down my computer to see if the lockup problem goes away.

Does anyone else have ideas as to the cause of the E2 lockup?

Collapse -
next level
by 1kravitz1 / October 1, 2008 5:08 PM PDT

Ive been doing this for the last two years without a glitch- untill yesterday- I opened up the palm, detached and reatached the battery and nothing happened. I tested the battery and it has juice and the palm turns on when attached to the wall plug but the battery wont turn on the palm- anyone have any ideas?

Collapse -
Then the battery power is not making it to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2008 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: next level

Where its used. Think of a light bulb and battery in your flashlight...

Collapse -
ok- now what
by 1kravitz1 / October 2, 2008 4:29 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply- Do you have a suggestion how to get the connection fixed? Thanks!!

Collapse -
That's a job for a good technician.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2008 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: ok- now what

They might use a microscope and an ohm meter to sniff out where the connection failed.

Collapse -
Tungsten E2 won't turn on, Tuesday 4 November 2008
by Kit30 / November 16, 2008 4:46 AM PST

Sunday 16 November 2008 1 p.m.

Last night read submissions by others with the same problem.
Got courage to open case w #5Torx & pop open clam(E2) shell
with pocket knife. Unplugged battery, pull straight up with
needle nose plyers. Waited for a few minutes & plugged back
in. E2 immediately came back on. Hotsynced data and finished
putting back together. Seems to work fine.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.