Phones

General discussion

Palm Tungsten E2

by JD Gann / February 1, 2008 7:25 AM PST

During a fatal error I lost most of the data from my calendar. I was able to restore it by loading an archive from the desktop onto my handheld. Now I find that the handheld will not sync with the desktop. It seems to take new information from the desktop and put it on the handheld, but will not take any information from the handheld and put it on the desktop. I have checked the settings and changed Calender to Handheld overrides Desktop, but it still will not exchange the data.

Does anyone know how to get my handheld to transfer data to the desktop. If I need to I am ok with the putting the information from the archive back onto the destop and starting fresh, but I am not sure how to do this either.

Any help will be appreciated.

JD

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Palm Tungsten E2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Palm Tungsten E2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hotsync has a lot of settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2008 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Palm Tungsten E2

I'm not going to supply a step by step, click by click but right click on the Hotsync ICON on the PC, select Custom and set it up the way you want.

Bob

Collapse -
Palm Tungsten E2
by JD Gann / February 1, 2008 5:11 PM PST

Bob,

Thanks for the reply, but that is what I have already done. I changed the sync file to handheld overrides desktop as I said above, but it still will not write anything to the desktop. Changing the settings is one of the first things I did, but to no avail. I need to figure out how to get the archive off my handheld and back where it belongs and get a new (clean) database on the handheld and I can't come up with a way.

JD

Collapse -
DOA it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2008 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: Palm Tungsten E2

"how to get the archive off my handheld and back where it belongs and get a new (clean) database on the handheld and I can't come up with a way."

1. To get the archive or rather .PDB files off the handheld is too simple. We hotsync and the files land in the usual directory on the PC. I'm going to skip where that is.

2. I can't tell you where these files "belong" since it can be customized.

3. There are instances where owners change from Palm Desktop to Outlook or forget a "conduit" but your posts are too light for me to see if you went down the wrong alley or where you lost it.

The forums are flaking out this week so call PalmOne since they will walk you through it all and ask a lot more questions than I will. Here it is up to you to tell all and save me typing. I am not paid for this but I know a bit too much about PalmOne PDAs as I author some software titles for them. If you tell enough I might have an answer.

Bob

Collapse -
Too simple
by JD Gann / February 3, 2008 5:49 PM PST
In reply to: DOA it seems.

Bob,

I do thank you for the replies, but it was not too simple. You weren't reading what I was writing. This is my 4th Palm handheld, so I am not ignorant of how they work or how to do things with them.

I finally figured it out for myself and I too will not go through the steps, but there are times when things to do not work as they should and always have before. This happened to be a major glitch in the database archive that was locking up the transfer of files from the handheld to the PC. After I was able to fix the glitch, it started working as it should.

Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2008 10:07 PM PST
In reply to: Too simple

It's not simple enough. To expect today's owners to operate the Palm PDA or handle all those settings, dive in and find the files is now beyond what we can expect. Since I write PalmOS applications I'm steeped in the API, Hotsync, and the entire package. But look at the consumer. PalmOne has not moved out the 90s.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.