Phones

General discussion

Palm replacement options

by GregP$ / August 30, 2009 10:01 PM PDT

My Palm is dying and I need a viable replacement option. I can't use any device that includes a camera, so that rules out most if not all phones. Blackberry has no desktop calender or contacts interface that I can find (just a back-up function). Most other devices I've seen use Outlook as the desktop interface which I find miserable software and not a viable solution.

Is there anything out there that functions as a PDA, has a good desktop calender and contacts application, and does not have a camera?

I'd like to find some solution other than gambling on the used and out of support Palm market.

Thanks - Greg

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Palm replacement options
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Palm replacement options
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you rule out Windows Mobile devices?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2009 10:35 PM PDT

I know many Palm owners loath Windows Mobile. Or won't use Outlook, etc. This narrows the field to Palm refurbs or such.

Just sharing. I write, maintain some Palm applications and we unwrapped a Palm IIIc last year. It's new, just was in storage for 8 years. It charged up and works fine. I was concerned about the battery but its behaving just like a new unit from years ago.

Why not another Palm? Certainly you can find them. We do.
Bob

Collapse -
Haven't found any details on WIndows mobile apps
by GregP$ / August 30, 2009 11:11 PM PDT

I haven't been able to find anywhere that shows what the calender/contacts software on Windows Mobile is. If the only desktop option is to use Outlook I'll only go there kicking and screaming. I tried the sync to Outlook option once and it re-wrote all of my data into what "it" wanted it to be and deleted all the categories I had defined.

I tried to research the I-pod touch since I-pod brags about all the available apps, but can't find any third part software with a desktop calender application for it either. I mostly use the desktop calender, with the PDA as a transit tool between systems (I regularly use 3 different laptops in different offices), but do need access to the calender and contacts off-site (which rules out just using a thumb drive with Palm Desktop installed on it).

I've looked at the used/refurb/old-stock Palm's but it seems silly to pay the way inflated prices on something I know isn't supported anymore and will just put me in the same situation a few years down the road when it dies too.

Thanks - Greg

Collapse -
For WinMo it's Outlook.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2009 12:49 AM PDT

Since that's unacceptable then no reason to write one more word.

As to the iTouch, I won't look for apps for you (as this is all volunteer like that person that helps you change the flat tire) but it's out there. Maybe a trip to the Apple store would be good.

What I'm finding is that we have to get past any issues with Outlook, etc. if we want our next solution. For example my line of apps is making the jump from Palm to WinMo. We're moving about 2 decades forward in ideas and its rough on those that are used to the old system.
Bob

Collapse -
Found a solution
by GregP$ / September 10, 2009 1:02 AM PDT

Wanted to post that I found a solution that seems to be working well for me. I discovered software (Companionlink, www.companionlink.com) that does a good job at interfacing my existing Palm desktop data to Blackberry. I purchased a non-camera Blackberry Tour and have been using it for my portable, and continuing to use the Palm Desktop for my PC base.

Thanks - Greg

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.