The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Palm Pre - looks great, but Sprint? :0(

by Vance14 / January 8, 2009 7:59 AM PST

Setting all the yummy goodness aside, the single worst word uttered at the Palm event was "Sprint". For a company looking to come back, why tether yourself to the weakest of the carriers? Luckily, they made very clear to call them a "launch" partner, hopefully meaning that other carriers will be on board soon.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Palm Pre - looks great, but Sprint? :0(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Palm Pre - looks great, but Sprint? :0(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one problem
by Nicholas Buenk / January 8, 2009 9:21 AM PST

What is it pre to? Wink

Also, sprint? That's CDMA right? That prettyy much means north American and japan.... Sigh.

Nicholas. - annoyed Australian

Collapse -
Fear not
by SilasC / January 8, 2009 9:37 AM PST
In reply to: Just one problem
Collapse -
sprint always gets before verizon
by robstak / January 9, 2009 2:35 AM PST

i have a friend that works for verizon. she swears its cuz verizon takes more care in selecting phones because they have so many government contracts... what a load of crap that is. she says spring just throws crap at a wall and sees what sticks...

i dont mind the latter at all, at least i have the choice....

-karl

Collapse -
Verizon is the one that jumps on trash phones
by saratoga808 / February 2, 2009 4:42 PM PST

Verizon touted the Bold as the iphone killer. Ya right! I bought that phone and it was the most stressful phone ever. Verizon just can't select a winner phone. no iphone, Bold, Pre? Hey Verizon get with it!

Collapse -
Sorry I intended to say the Storm was stressfu not the Bold
by saratoga808 / February 2, 2009 4:45 PM PST

The Storm was another Verizon roll out that failed/

Collapse -
Sorry I intended to say the Storm was stressfu not the Bold
by saratoga808 / February 2, 2009 4:52 PM PST

The Storm was another Verizon roll out that failed/

Collapse -
I love Sprint...
by paintguru / January 9, 2009 7:30 AM PST

...and will likely never change. Bout time they got a good phone or two.

Collapse -
thank you
by lookngood18 / March 17, 2009 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: I love Sprint...

everyone thinks sprint sucks i love it
i've had att and verizon and all i love is sprint
my only complaint was our service but thanks to the new program
its all good now
i never have drop calls but with att&t and verizon i did
sprint is underrated

Collapse -
wonder the cost
by mementh / January 9, 2009 7:45 AM PST

anyone gotten a MSRP ? cause i would love to give it a try but will have to wait till december because i got a new phone this year (had a centro got a new centro under my dads employee plan)

but i think i want this because its NEW!!!!

Collapse -
Early rumor is $399
by Vance14 / January 9, 2009 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: wonder the cost

BGR is reporting a rumor that it will be like the iPhone when it first came out, at $399. I think this would be a mistake, since iPhones are down in price and that is the competition now. They need to play this right.

Collapse -
facts?
by Natronx / January 10, 2009 5:58 AM PST

OK, so you hate Sprint - anyone can have an opinion. I personally like Sprint's customer service a heck of a lot better than AT&T's.

Regarding the facts, Gizmodo just ran a test of 3G speeds and Sprint showed the fastest download speeds in their test.

The fastest 3G downloads speeds and what might be one of the best new phones - sounds like it could be a winner.

Collapse -
It could be worse, it could be AT&T or T-Mobile
by minimalist / January 11, 2009 2:57 AM PST

AT&T has bad customer service AND so-so 3G. T-Mobile has good customer service and virtually no 3G.

To tell you the truth, this is the first phone that I think could be a serious contender for the iPhone. The hardware is definitely nice but the OS is what really seems to shine. And the main reason people like the iPhone is the simple, intuitive OS so Palm was smart in making sure that they not only matched the fit and finish of the iPhone OS but exceeded it. The idea of aggregating all your various "clouds" into one easy to access location is really smart and the multi-tasking makes my iPhone seem inflexible and difficult.

Of course none of this has been tested in the real world so all this multi-tasking and all the web aggregation may not be as seamless as Palm is claiming. And who knows how good the battery life will actually be.

I'm not sure I'd commit to switching but when my 1G iPhone contract is up in July I will definitely give this phone look.

Collapse -
(NT) Sprint sucks hard. worst carrier, hands down.
by robstak / January 26, 2009 7:21 AM PST
Collapse -
anyone notice a trend here?
by bryguy178 / January 27, 2009 1:47 PM PST

when was the last cool phone that came out for version the last one could think of is the razr. why do all the cool phones go to the sucker carriers!!!!!????? Sad

Collapse -
Thats what I'm saying.
by saratoga808 / February 2, 2009 4:51 PM PST

I keep on being this Verizon hold out and I'm rewarded with false promise phones. You would have to be ******** to have missed the iphone, then the Bold, the Pre. Gool lord who's running this company, is anybody home?

Collapse -
why?
by loribug26 / February 27, 2009 1:19 AM PST

why why why can't Verizon get the best of the best? Can't have the best of both worlds I guess. I waited forever for the Centro...I guess I'll wait again for the Pre...

Collapse -
a friend at verizon corporate told me this...
by robstak / March 1, 2009 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: why?

which imho is a total load of boollschit, but w/e, she told me that verizon needs to carefully test their phones because they have so many more corporate contracts than sprint (which to me is still weird cuz... um... nextel?), so therefore it takes them longer to come to market.

lame. she has no reason to lie to me, so i feel as if verizon lies to her, but either way its crap and its unacceptable... except for the fact the sprint sucks hardboiled eggs all day long. bad coverage and bad custo-service. so its the perennial choosing of the lesser of 4 evils...

btw id kill for a touch pro 2 right about now, lol.

Collapse -
So Sad.
by bekahboodc / May 6, 2009 1:04 AM PDT

I am a HUGE Treo fan and have been dying to switch over to the Pre when it comes out. Now I hear it's Sprint only??!! That's worse news than being diagnosed with swine flu! I may be in love with the Pre, but I spent two years of hell with Sprint and their horrible customer service team and would NEVER switch back - even if they rolled out a phone that would feed me and drive me to work!!!

Collapse -
PALM Pre: $400+
by thriftyT / June 6, 2009 12:46 AM PDT

UPDATE:

10:37 EST

1. I was super excited about the Pre so I had my wife go wait in line to get one while I'm fuming here at work.

2. I'm a loyal Sprint customer (a rare breed, indeed) and I'm getting worked over.
My contract isn't up until August, therefore the price of the Palm Pre for me is over $400!!!!!!

3. Furthermore, they are saying that I will be unable to keep my family plan (that I am currently under with my Centro) unless I move my other 3 family members to the same data plan for the Pre (even though they own non-smart phones!)

4. I am just shocked! When Sprint/Palm needed a PR boost, they are unleashing a PR nightmare here!

5. I'm ticked!!!!!!!! (please Have Molly read this for best effect. She can even ad-lib just to get my point across better)
The new iPhone is coming into the picture for me....

Collapse -
Uh oh....
by paintguru / June 6, 2009 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: PALM Pre: $400+

Wow really? I can understand the whole $400 thing (my $150 credit comes on August 1) as they are usually pretty strict about giving existing customers a break, but the rest is crazy. I have a family plan and the other phones on the plan aren't smart phones either. There is no way I'm paying $40 on EACH phone for data (or whatever they plan to charge for data). We'll find out what happens when Aug 1 rolls around, but like you, if they try to F me over, I may jump to another carrier.

Collapse -
the Deets
by thriftyT / June 6, 2009 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Uh oh....

I'm a current Sprint customer under contract until August 2009.

The cost for the Palm Pre for me: $550 - $75 rebate = $475.

$475!!!!

I called Sprint customer service because I'm deluded enough to think that they could offer me a deal.

But they could do no better than kick it down to $400. And that was after being on the phone with them for about 1.5 hours.

Bottom line:
This is the ultimate irony! The best Sprint phone ever is a terrible deal for existing Sprint customers!

I am seriously considering breaking my contract for $200 and then giving Apple $199 for whatever hotness they are announcing on Monday.

Collapse -
Wait I thought there was a mail-in rebate too???
by paintguru / June 6, 2009 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: the Deets

Are you kidding me?!? No way I pay $400 for that phone (w/ a $150 rebate). I thought there was an additional mail in rebate too? Or is that only for "new" customers? If this is the case, WTF are they thinking. I'm with you, I may be switching carriers, but I will probably wait for my contract to run out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.