Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Paint Shop Pro 8 problem with a update?

by marcelJetzer / July 30, 2006 10:56 AM PDT

I bought Paint Shop Pro (8.10) and I installed it just find but when I go to click on it, it comes up but a small message comes with it saying "Failed to update the system registry,please try using REGEDIT." Then I click OK and the message goes away. But I would like to get it right. I went up to the registry but I wasn't sure what to do. Anybody got any ideas? Any and all help greatly appreciated. Many thanks and God Bless.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Paint Shop Pro 8 problem with a update?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Paint Shop Pro 8 problem with a update?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problem fixed
by marcelJetzer / August 1, 2006 11:45 AM PDT

Problem fixed

Collapse -
Good for you. Really???
by taboma / August 9, 2006 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem fixed

How did you fix it? please do not leave us hanging here. Please explain for the rest of us hanging on with baited breath, how you corrected it?

-Kevin

Collapse -
Solution
by taboma / September 9, 2006 8:21 AM PDT

Good News!! And, thanks for posting back to us which makes us all happy on the Graphics Forum. Nice info!
Better late than never. No problem here.
Any questions about the new software program, ask Bob Proffitt, our Mod.
Bob Proffitt runs Paint Shop PRO.

Kevin

Collapse -
Jasc PSP 8
by 5dukesnnc / February 17, 2009 12:51 PM PST
In reply to: Solution

I'm running Windows XP. Before my most recent "reformat" that I asked one of our IT guys at the office to complete for me, I was able to use Paint Shop Pro 8 with no problems. (I actually had PSP7, 8, 9 X and XI.XI installed but mostly used 8.)

I'm a member of a TERRIFIC PSP group in Yahoo that has detailed suggestions on how to set up your PSP (file formats, preferences, etc.). I went through all the steps very carefully, making sure to install all the suggested dlls in the proper folders and direct the file locations, etc.

All appears to be working fine in 7, 9 and X. I still haven't had time to install XI.XI because I have laborously installed, uninstalled and re-installed 8 but it keeps being very unstable. When I complete the step of selecting file locations, using the PSP8 default folders for each category along with the newly created "My PSP8" folder and the My PSP folder that I had always had, it's almost like the program freezes up.

My last attempt, I made sure I did uninstall through the Control Panel, I also ran Clean Up and then I actually did a search of all the files and folders on "C" and deleted anything left out there but still the step of directing the files has caused a major freeze. Even installing from a different download than the CD I had has created caos! Any suggestions. I desperate to get PSP 8 to work because it is my favorite of all (simply because I've learned the most on this version) and I've found a lot of the older tutorials use PSP8. Your help is greatly appreciated. I really do not know a lot about Registry in the computer and what is safe to change and what is not so PLEASE keep it simple! Thanks.

Collapse -
Jasc PSP 8 - Continued
by 5dukesnnc / February 17, 2009 1:24 PM PST
In reply to: Jasc PSP 8

I almost thought the problem was resolving itself (for about 5 minutes). I got rid of duplications that were indicated from the install of Jasc Paint Shop Pro Power Suite Photo Edition, this being the only component of the disk that I installed because I thought maybe installing the "extras" was what might cause some of the problems.

After it took about 30-45 seconds to open, I did a quick test with an image to be sure the effects from a plugin was going to do as it should and it did so I closed.

I re-opened (or attempted to re-open), it taking nearly a minute when I got a Application error "The exception Integer division by zero. (0xc0000094) occurred in the application at location 0x00c5a0da. Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on Cancel to debug the program." I selected to terminate.

Thought I should share the latest and be a little more detailed about the version of PSP8 that I'm installing. I believe it is 8.1. Not sure why it worked perfectly fine before the reformatting but I hope this provides more insight so someone can offer a "ray of hope"! Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2009 8:26 PM PST
In reply to: Jasc PSP 8

I only have PSP 7 and 9. 7 is on our Windows 2000, XP machines and since I didn't want to chance it, 9 was what I put on my Vista machine.

Sorry to read your woes but all I can offer is my success story.
Bob

Collapse -
Fixed the problem on my computer
by yoda4yoda / November 20, 2011 7:25 PM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

I receive the same message with Paint Shop Pro 6.0. I downloaded the 6.02 patch (psp602up) and I don't receive the warning. "Failed to update the system registry. Please try using REGEDIT." anymore.

Dan

Collapse -
PSP ver 6.02
by tb268 / December 5, 2011 2:51 PM PST

I got the same error message. Could you please tell me where I can download the 6.02 patch (psp602up)? Thanks.

Andy

Collapse -
Try Corel or link
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: PSP ver 6.02
Collapse -
Download PSP ver 6.02 Update
by tb268 / December 15, 2011 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: Try Corel or link

Hi,

When I tried to download it, I got an error message.

"http://www3.jasc.com/pub/patches/psp602up.exe
Invalid URL
The requested URL "/pub/patches/psp602up.exe", is invalid.
Reference #9.f702ee3f.1323980805.871d31f

"

Do you have another download URL? Thank you for your help.

Andy

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2011 4:35 AM PST

I tested it back then and I see that it's gone. Corel bought them and it appears the Jasc site and contents are now gone.

Ask Corel where they put it.
Bob

Collapse -
Firstly I see no "New Post or Thread" place
by FeelnFine / June 25, 2015 4:38 PM PDT

I have had paintshop pro 8 for a thousand years and never saw any updates for it. Only when I click on updates, I was taken to "buy" this and that. ???

Collapse -
Looks to be true about 8.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2015 4:45 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.