Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

page is not blank when I open word document

by avantisw / November 29, 2006 2:54 AM PST

Please can anybody help me with a problem that has occured when I open up a word document.

I have word 2000 & microsoft xp pro, if this makes a difference.

I am very computer illiterate and have almost no understanding of how these things work or where to go to fix things.

Anyway, when i open a new word document, instead of a blank document, I get a page filled with images. My son downloaded images from google for a piece of homework he was doing and it is these images that are on the page when word is opened.

If i select all and clear, it clears the page, but the next time i open a document the one with all the images reappears.

if i hit the blank page icon (top LHS) of toolbar, I get the page with images.

Please help me (and my son)

Best regards

Ian

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: page is not blank when I open word document
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: page is not blank when I open word document
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hint: It's in NORMAL.DOT
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2006 3:02 AM PST

Research what NORMAL.DOT does on google.com

Bob

Collapse -
Indeed, Bob's right on track.
by Kees Bakker / November 29, 2006 3:36 AM PST

Somehow, you or your son put the images in the default template. A very nice ieda, but only if you mean to put them in every new document. And seemingly you don't.

That default template is a file called normal.dot. The first thing to do is: find it using My Computer or Windows Explorer. Assuming you've got Windows XP, it's somewhere in the users Documents and Settings. Don't give up. It's surely there.

Then either simply delete it, or open it (in Word), delete all contents and save it again.

Kees

Collapse -
Bob And Kees
by avantisw / December 4, 2006 3:47 AM PST

Hi guys
Many thanks for your replies, I've searched high and low for the normal.dot file but for the life of me I can't find it. Even when i tick the 'show hidden files and folders' and uncheck the 'hide extensions for known file types' boxes.

Any further help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards
Ian

Collapse -
Bob and Kees
by avantisw / December 4, 2006 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Bob And Kees

JUST FOUND IT!
thanks guys for your help.
I'm now speaking to my son again
Thanks again
ian

Collapse -
(NT) Good job. Glad we could help.
by Kees Bakker / December 4, 2006 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Bob and Kees
Collapse -
Already named word file
by JessicaMew / December 5, 2006 6:08 PM PST

Hey
When i open a new word document it always come up with a message saying "Do you want to revert back to the saved L:/"
How can i get it to come up as a blank unnamed document?
Thanks for your help

Collapse -
I'd start with ...
by Kees Bakker / December 5, 2006 7:59 PM PST

deleting normal.dot and retrying. Does this happen also if you specify another template to use in stead of the default normal.dot?

Kees

Collapse -
Mysterious Document
by bpresti / June 22, 2007 5:38 AM PDT

Not a mystery any more - many thanks to each of you and following
Kees Bakker's advice - problem solved.

Collapse -
Window Vista 32 or 64 bits
by Lionises / August 10, 2010 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Mysterious Document

Just thought some one might want to know this too.... I encounter the same problem but none of the solution offered here helped. so I decided to to wing it.

follow this steps if nothing else works.
1. open the word.
2. point the mouse to the name of the document that appears if you know it. (I didn't so I click each on until I got it)
3. Write down, the Url where the document is located. (if you are good with memory, good for you)
4. click star
5. in the search box (I have window vista 32/64 bits) write down the url.
6. search for it.
7. open the folder and delete the accidental templates. until you are left with Normal.dot (default black page for word)

Hope this help any one that has window vista 32/64 bits and MS 2007.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.