Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Resolved Question

ow do I set up POP3 email with att.net

by triumphrider69 / January 21, 2012 12:44 PM PST

I used att.net instructions to set up Outlook 2010 on a Windows 7 ultimate OS. All is OK, but it did not transfer my folders or old emails. How can I fix this?

triumphrider69 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ow do I set up POP3 email with att.net
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ow do I set up POP3 email with att.net
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by triumphrider69

Collapse -
Re: Outlook old mail
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 5:39 AM PST

Import them from your old pst-file.That's where they are.

Even easier maybe (but not sure it works): just copy the old pst-file over the new one. Make a copy of the new one first so you can go back to it,

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) Even if it's web mail?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Outlook old mail
Collapse -
Re: webmail
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: Even if it's web mail?

The OP asked about pop3-mail. That's copied to the local mail-storage (dbx in OE, pst in Outlook, and I still don't understand how Thunderbird does it) and deleted from the server (either immediately, either after some time, depending on the settings).
Of course, att.net only tells you about connecting to their servers (user name, password, pop3- and smpt server and maybe some other settings to enter into your pop3-account definition). They aren't interested at all in what you do with your mail after receiving it. So they don't say anything about backup and copying to new machines and to new email clients.

Webmail is just a way of looking into the mail stored at your mail-provider. With gmail and hotmail and such that's all your mail (unless you use pop3 also). With fully pop3-accounts it's usually only the new mails you didn't yet copy to your PC and delete from the server.
For webmail no setup at all is required. Just enter the right url (like gmail.com), then your userid and password and there you go.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
You have to do that yourself
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 5:29 AM PST

Where are these folders you want transferring?

Mark

Collapse -
Folders to transfer
by triumphrider69 / January 22, 2012 12:08 PM PST

I set up a whole list of subfolders and filters to send my POP mail to diffferent folders. For instance wen a email arrives from recipes.co it automatically goes into my Cooking folder.

Collapse -
Which folders?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 7:47 PM PST
In reply to: Folders to transfer

Sorry but you haven't said where these folders are.

Before you set up this POP email account in Outlook, where and how did you manage your email account?

Mark

Collapse -
Folders to Transfer- Clarification
by triumphrider69 / January 22, 2012 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: Which folders?

these folders were subfolders in my inbox. My email client was set up on another computer.
thanks for your help.

Collapse -
In taht case
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 3:47 AM PST

See Kees' replies below.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.