PC Hardware forum

General discussion

overclocking AMD sempron 3300+

by roshukd / June 16, 2006 12:59 PM PDT

Hey everyone. I'm new to computers, and would like to try to overclock my computer. It currently has a K8M-800M motherboard, an AMD SEMPRON 3300+ CPU, 512 MB RAM, 300 W power supply, a SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY SE sound card, and an ATI RADEON 9600 PRO video card. Do I need to do anything before I try to overclock, or is this set up fine. Also , how do I overclock the CPU, motherboard, and video cards? Your info is greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: overclocking AMD sempron 3300+
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: overclocking AMD sempron 3300+
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Alittle for now
by Willy / June 16, 2006 9:24 PM PDT

Once you follow this forum and others you'll notice many users having wierd or iffy problems. Much of that is due to "power issues" and generally that means the psu/power supply. So, you're 300W psu worrys me. I suggest you get a better and higher wattage unit when you can, sooner the better.

As for OC'ing now on newer systems generally has little to gain until "cooling" is well addressed and even then don't expect much. Newer cpus tend to curtail any massive OC gains and just gernerally the cpu is already at its limits dealing with its own rating. To OC basically deals with cpu setup from the bios setting, tweak away but alittle at a time. Overall, be happy if you get 10% increase. Understand, the whole system has to has quality componets to address the higher cpu OC rate, thus besides cooling, the ram and video need to be of a hi-qulaity as well. You can get good results then after days or months start to degrade and can only achive what your system was build for, so beware.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
OC AMD SEMPRON 3300+
by roshukd / June 16, 2006 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Alittle for now

Thanks for the advice.

Collapse -
If that's the same motherboard...
by GeeBee / June 17, 2006 10:33 PM PDT

...that is detailed here :

http://support.packardbell.com/fr/item/index.php?i=instr_bios_k8m-800m&ppn=PB49200202

with the same BIOS options...you have no options to overclock! Which is likely a good thing. If you're new to computers, overclocking's the last thing you should be messing about with. However, if you're a brave soul (or foolish), and don't mind risking a PC that might not even boot up...

"Dear Cnet people...how do I manually reset my BIOS to defaults, as it won't boot up now!" 8*(

...as you fiddle and tweak.

There are two motherboards with that moniker, FIC and Gigabyte. Whichever you have you should look for an option for increasing the HTT (Hyper Transport Technology) for a Sempron64 like yours, or FSB (Front Side Bus) for 32bit Sempron's. Increasing this marginally above the default of 200Mhz overclocks the PC. If you can't see it, it's not listed, or can't find it, put the idea of overclocking an already very fast and powerful CPU from your mind.

If you'd like to overclock your graphics card (easy to do), but make sure you have plenty of ventilation (these do not run cool), and head over to : http://www.rage3d.com and download it's Rage3DTweak utility.

Good luck,

GeeBee.

Collapse -
Thanks
by roshukd / June 18, 2006 12:28 AM PDT

....for your help. I didn't realize there was that much involved with this. Thanks again.

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / June 19, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

Overclock cpu through bios, raise fsb, memory voltages, etc... Overclock video card, ati tool (download from majorgeeks).

Roger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.