The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Over the Air TV and Windows Media Center

by lightningboy7 / October 2, 2008 7:56 AM PDT

How would you record over the air TV broadcasts using Windows Media Center?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Over the Air TV and Windows Media Center
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Over the Air TV and Windows Media Center
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need a TV tuner
by acedtect / October 3, 2008 1:11 AM PDT

Either you get a computer that has a tuner built-in or buy one and install it. Then hook up the antenna to the tuner card.

Collapse -
Dose it have to be instaled?
by lightningboy7 / October 3, 2008 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: You need a TV tuner

Is there a way you can do it over USB?

Collapse -
We have an antena already
by lightningboy7 / October 3, 2008 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: You need a TV tuner

We have an antenna set up and are house wired up to that. Is there a way to connect the antenna we already have to my computer? Preferably over USB.

Collapse -
There are USB-based solutions
by fbbbb / October 3, 2008 8:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Where to buy
by lightningboy7 / October 3, 2008 10:13 AM PDT

On the site it says you can get it on but I can't find it anywhere on there site. Please Help.

Collapse -
Effect after the DTV Transition
by lightningboy7 / October 24, 2008 5:52 AM PDT

If I used this USB device, would I be able to get digital TV or would it be analog. After the DTV transition analog TV won't be online anymore. Would I have to get a converter box that I would attach to the line-in for my computer or are there other options for my computer to be able to record Digital TV? What are my options in this situation?

Here is the setup for the TV's in our house.

At my house we have an antenna where we get our over the air TV. We have our TV's wired to that antenna. I want to wire my computer directly to that antenna.

Collapse -
here is a good place to find a good tuner
by mkaug / October 3, 2008 2:22 AM PDT

You don't need a media center necessarily. Vista home premium comes with media center in it. so if you have that, you can just plug in the card and open media center and it will easily set it up from there.
Collapse -
Recording TV shows
by CodyG [WINDOWS-TEAM] / October 23, 2008 10:01 AM PDT

Hi, my name?s Cody, and I?m working with the Windows Media Outreach Team to help answer questions folks might have about Windows Media Center.

I was reading through your conversation, and just wanted to make sure you all were aware of this page:

It?s basically an all-in-one resource page for questions about recording TV shows using Media Center (at least if you?re using Vista), and I thought you might find it useful. Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Windows Media Outreach Team

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.