Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

Outlook will send but not receive

by Calibretto / December 22, 2005 3:45 AM PST

I just recently purchased a new computer and transferred my outlook documents to the new one. Since I have done this my old computer can send\receive, but my new one cannot receive e-mails in outlook. I can send them from my new computer, but that is about all I can do. My old computer works runs outlook fine.
I checked my settings on my old pc and compared them to my new one and they are the same. I have no idea what my be causing this. A couple of people told me to reinstall Windows, would this be a remedy to the problem?
I?m fairly new to outlook and I don?t know much about the program.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook will send but not receive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook will send but not receive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cannot receive....
by Papa Echo / December 22, 2005 9:42 PM PST

Tell more - how do you know you cannot receive ? Have you test send a message to yourself ? What settings have you checked ?

Fairly new to Outlook ? Then note that if you have retrieved the messages at the old computer, you no longer can do so at the new computer, unless you have configured Outlook at the old computer to "leave messages at the server".

Collapse -
more info...
by Calibretto / December 23, 2005 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: Cannot receive....

(Note!! As I was typing my reply my dad informed me that Outlook was working, I explain what happened at the end of my post. Thanks so much for the help, sorry for the confusion).

I personally have never used Outlook. My dad is using it and is having problems - thus I came here, because there are some great minds here. I?ll try and lay this out in a way that makes more sense, I apologize for being scattered.

I exported all of my dad?s contacts\e-mails out of his old outlook (on Win2000 - We have Win2000 on the our old pc, and XP on the new one), I was able to put the file onto a Jumpdrive (aka Thumbdrive) and transfer it to the XP. At the time of the file transfer, Microsoft Office 2000 was on the XP. I have installed Office 2003 on the XP.
My dad said the problem was there before I installed Office 2003.
After installing Office 2003 my dad went thru his settings Tools>E-mail accounts. He said that Qwest (our server) walked him thru the setup for his POP3.

My dad just now told me that the account is now working?uhhh?.
Ok, so he called Qwest and they had us delete our account because it was a sub-account, and set up the account that was assigned to us when we signed up for their service.
After doing setting up our default account, outlook is working fine.
Honestly I?m kind of confused?
He said we would like to set up outlook to be able to receive e-mails from his default account and his sub-account. Is this easy to do?

Sorry for such confusion?.I guess he was here really late last night working on this.

-Jordan-

Collapse -
Two accounts....
by Papa Echo / December 23, 2005 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: more info...

Glad the acount turned out OK.

....we would like to set up outlook to be able to receive e-mails from his default account and his sub-account. Is this easy to do?

That depends on your ISP-whether they allow the setup.

Usually, your account is controlled by a unique username and a unique passord, i.e. you cannot have two accounts with the same user name and password. You can two different accounts with two diferent user names and differnt passwords, but messages sent to one account can only be retrieved via that account. Having two accounts means paying your ISP more.

You can have the same account set up on two or more computers, and configure Outlook on the ''subsidary'' computers to leave the messages on the server, so that the messages can be received by the main computer(usually not configured to leave messages a the server). Hope this is clear. If not, sorry-- I am not a teacher or instructor.

Collapse -
Account settings
by Tonci / December 22, 2005 10:10 PM PST

No, you shouldn't reinstall Windows. That is always the last, the very last solution to any problem.

Now, in your message I can't clealrly understand what kind of import you have done. Anyway check your account settings in Outlook (tools -> accounts -> mail). You need to configure your POP3 server, which enables outlook for receiving mails.
Another thing I can guess is to check out if any firewall installed on your PC blocks the inbound trafic of Outlook.

These are the first guess, Toni

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.