Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Outlook URL link restrictions

by tjzz / March 13, 2005 12:48 PM PST

I replaced my hard drive three days ago and re-installed Windows/Office, and pretty much everything else, everything went smoothly, except, I have a new problem with email messages that I never had before. When I get an email with a URL link in it, such as the newsletters sent by CNET, I am unable to click on the URL and see the web page. Instead I immediately receive a message from "Microsoft Office Outlook" indicating:

"This Operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

Now I am unsure of which setting is causing this to occur since I do not believe that I have ever set or seen it, I'm not sure what has changed or what is different from my previous configuration - no changes in software except eliminated A LOT of excess.

The software packages that I am running that might have an effect are:

Windows XP Pro SP2
MS Office Outlook 2003
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1 (set as the default browser with Tabbrowser Preferences and Adblock as the only extensions currently installed)
Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2005

Any suggestions would be great, thank you, Todd

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook URL link restrictions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook URL link restrictions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Exactly what email client and revision?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2005 8:28 PM PST

I see OL2003, but what service pack/patch/release is on it? If you ran Windows/Office Update... you get a security update and you must share the exact version so I know to look for that. Of course you could look too.

But do share what's the version and patch level from Help, About in OL2003.

Collapse -
Outlook 2003 info
by tjzz / March 14, 2005 12:32 AM PST

OK, here is everything that I have found:

Help>About>MS Office Outlook displays:

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (11.6359.6408) SP1

I had performed updates previously through Explorer (when I was completing the re-install of the software). At that time I had all Office (and Windows) updates according to Microsoft's web site.

Of interest, when I clicked on the "Check updates" menu option from the Help menu, I received the same error message as clicking on a URL link, that is:

"This Operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

I also receive the same error message when clicking on a "mailto:" link to send and email to someone.

I ran the "Detect and Repair" menu option, but no change.

And the product is activated.

If I open Explorer and run Office Updates, it still shows that I have all recent updates.

If this is not what you are looking for, let me know. Todd

Collapse -
Just FYI
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2005 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: Outlook 2003 info
Collapse -
Still no go...
by tjzz / March 18, 2005 2:44 PM PST
In reply to: Just FYI

I got a chance tonight to follow up on your last response. I printed off the directions and followed carefully, double checked in fact. In Step 2 (for XP) all settings as they should. I then performed and applied the changes from Outlook-to-Express-to-Outlook.

I could Run "mailto:" with no issues, and a new message email pops up (Outlook was not running/open at the time, same situation with Outlook running).

If I run Outlook and open a message that I have received that has an email mailto: or URL link, I am still unable to click on either link and have anything happen, I still receive the error message:

This continues to happen for "mailto:" links, URLs, as well as the "Check for Updates" menu option. So there is still no change in status.

I am unsure as to what to check next.

Collapse -
Another FYI
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 7:40 PM PST
In reply to: Still no go...

Microsoft is diddling with the security of Outlook (all versions) in an effort to thwart viruses and more. One of the side-effects is what you are esperiencing. This may not be a true bug, but changed behaviour.

Collapse -
Do you get these errors ...
by Kees Bakker / March 19, 2005 12:41 AM PST

while logged in as Administrator, or (only) as a non-administrative user? Of course, if would be ridiculous if you had to be administrator to be able to click on a mailto-link, but it might point to a possible solution. Just a WAG.

Collapse -
And ...
by Kees Bakker / March 19, 2005 12:43 AM PST

Outlook 2003 might not like Firefox to be set as the default browser. See what happens if you change back to the standard Microsoft setup with IE set as such.

Collapse -
Yes to both
by tjzz / March 19, 2005 10:01 AM PST
In reply to: And ...

Yes, I am setup as the computer administrator (single user , dedicated system), Guest account is turned off.

As far as Firefox goes, I had it installed previously with no problem, my wife is using it as well on a similarly configured system (yes, I have tried to compare settings between the two but nothing is standing out).

I had previously tried to reset IE as the default browser and have tried it again tonight (Tools>Options>Programs>Reset Web Settings), but still no change in status.

If I get sometime later, I'll try to re-install Office and see what happens.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sorry, no ideas left.
by Kees Bakker / March 20, 2005 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: Yes to both
Collapse -
All set...
by tjzz / March 21, 2005 12:56 PM PST

I ended up removing Office and Firefox and re-installing Office again from CD, updating it, and verify that it worked fine with IE. Then I re-installed Firefox and tested again. No problem this time, previous issues have cleared and I can now click on links and get new mail messages or web links as expected.

Thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.