Office & Productivity Software forum

Outlook not importing all data

by cag8f / January 15, 2013 11:14 AM PST

I recently exported my Outlook PST file (Win 7, Office 2007), and am now trying to import it into Outlook on a new computer (Win XP, Office 2010). However after importing it is evident that only a fraction of my emails have been imported. Is there any way to diagnose this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Here is some relevant info:

--PST Filesize = ~3GB

--On the new computer, I *first* tried importing into Office 2007. When I did so, Outlook informed me that the file needed repair, and ran the Outlook Inbox Repair Tool. After it said that all errors (which numbered in the hundreds) were successfully repaired. But many emails were missing from the import. Then I tried upgrading to Office 2010 but was met with the same result.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook not importing all data
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook not importing all data
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Odd. Why export at all?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 5:49 AM PST

The backup and restore articles I read have us backup the .PST file and let the new Outlook bring that in.

If there's a lesson here, it's that MSFT needs to do a little better on this one.

Try this. Find a copy (not the original!!!) of the .PST then click, drag and drop it on a open Outlook window.

All Answers

Collapse -
Didn't Outlook have a 2 GB .pst-file limitation?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 5:53 AM PST

And I agree with Bob. The first thing to try is to just use (a copy of) that old .pst-file and see if it works.

Collapse -
by cag8f / January 16, 2013 9:15 AM PST

I tried to drag the PST file into Outlook, and was met with a "You can only open data files from within Outlook" error message.

Also, I was under the 2GB PST limit was only for older versions of Outlook (2002 and earlier).

Collapse -
Now open it within Outlook.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Failed

But I was unclear. The old drag and drop only works on some versions and to only certain areas of the Outlook app. If Outlook does not have the folder view open to drop it on, it does fail.

Collapse -
Re: Outlook
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 4:26 PM PST

With "use" I didn't mean drag and drop.

I meant things like:
- Copy it over the new pst-file (so it replaces this).
- Rename and add as 'personal' pst file.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.