Mac Applications

Question

Outlook for Mac 2011 email restoration and Time Machine

by maryde / January 13, 2013 7:29 PM PST

I'm using Office for Mac 2011 (which I feel is buggy) on my iMac and my Time Machine isn't working right- or it may have been affected by the buggy Office. When you delete an EMPTY folder with NO subfolders in Outlook from your Deleted folder, it shouldn't proceed to delete over 400 messages in 100 other folders located in your Inbox! So I followed instructions to restore the Main Identity file from several days ago when I knew my 400+ emails were in their appropriate folders. Then I do the Export/Import into Outlook and those 400 messages will not import. If I do a search on the hard drive, it finds them in the Restored Main Identity folder, but I can't get them to go back into Outlook. Any suggestions? I worked on this over 12 hours yesterday and tried 3 different restores of the Identity and can't get those message to come in to Outlook. Thanks so much.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook for Mac 2011 email restoration and Time Machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook for Mac 2011 email restoration and Time Machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
you are not using Time Machine correctly
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 9:06 PM PST

Go to the folder with the Main Identity in it
Now open Time Machine
Go back in time to the date you want
select the Main Identity
Restore

Quit Time Machine and then launch Outlook

All your emails should now be there.

No importing necessary

P

Collapse -
thank you
by maryde / January 13, 2013 9:58 PM PST

P- Thank you. I'm restoring the identity I want right now and I quit Outlook. When I reopen it after the restored identity finishes loading onto my hard drive, how will Outlook know which identity to look at? The original or the restored? I don't want to delete the original identity do I? I don't want to lose everything from last Tuesday (the date I'm grabbing the restored identity from) until now....

Thank you so much for your help and your time!

Collapse -
Did you move or rename the original Identity?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: thank you

if not, do so now so that Outlook knows which one to look at.

Sounds like it is still looking at the problem one and not the restored one.

P

Collapse -
Well,
by maryde / January 13, 2013 10:06 PM PST

Well, those folders are still empty. The 400+ emails are still gone from 100 + folders.

Collapse -
(NT) how many Main Identity folders do you have?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Well,
Collapse -
Two identites. I switched to the restored identity.
by maryde / January 15, 2013 3:18 AM PST

Using the Microsoft Database Utility, I changed the default identity to the restored identity, opened Outlook and it brought up a warning that the database needed to be rebuilt. So I initiated that, but it said the identity could not be rebuilt. So I have now switched back to the original identity. I think i'm just out of luck and I'm going to have to look elsewhere for the data I need besides these missing emails.

PS- What does the (NT) mean in your subject line above? Sorry, it's probably something really obvious, but I can't think of it! Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, it is really obvious. It means No Text
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 7:48 AM PST
Collapse -
Uhh... Nope it wasn't really obvious.
by maryde / January 15, 2013 1:44 PM PST

Guess I would have to be a forum posting expert, such as yourself.

Collapse -
Not really,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 9:00 PM PST

after you have seen a few of them, the Sherlock in you goes, DUH! Happy

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.